It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Of The Fittest? When SHTF, Where Do We Fit In?? My Dilemma....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
It is obvious you are taking the right steps to recover already; no amount of projecting will get you back to where you were and fear is a wicked tool against us all.

There is a slight chance (but I don't know you) that if shtf, you would be carrying far more than any one should; perhaps you would even be carrying everything on your own shoulders. Your knee is you, and although this can be looked upon as "bad timing", it can also be seen as "sensible" for you. It is time for you to stop worrying and let yourself take a small but needed rest. Your survival is that you have "discernment", the ability to judge situations and handle them appropriately; your inability is likely to rest and not be the one to "do" and "reach" and "overcome". In other words, this is your wake-up call to get off of your feet and to do something for yourself internally. I bet it is hard to get you to take a break!

Now you will get one! Blessings can be disguised! You will gain your original strength and stamina, in due time, but right now, you haven't failed nor have you lost. It is perfect timing. Just imagine how hard it will be to get something like this repaired six months after the fact! Impossible I bet!

Thank you!...You are right, blessings can be disguised!! I think I do need some rest!!! Im over worked, over tired and have been in denial about needing rest.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImAwareSC
"After a *BUG OUT* training exercise of camping for a few days..."

Now, I have to laugh here.
Did you REALLY believe camping was going to be a Bugging Out exercise??
You and your family are toast.

I do not, but am not in the habit of explaining everything I do at what time and how.....Both my husband and I, being Army veterans, know about being in wars and in the field! Just at the MOMENT playing with the kids I was injured....bla bla why am I trying to defend myself here with you I will never know. ....If the OP was about the actual bug out, I would have explained everything in detail about what where why and how, but that was not the subject, it was just the scene. I am writing about how my injury has made me think more deeply about the whole act of bugging out and survival of the injured. Having small children during this situation has made me think more closely about how they deal with pressure and issues. This exercise did not work out as I had planned...So maybe we are toast. Thanks for your kind words...
Now I am off in prep for my surgery in the morning...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Starwise I think you will be fine in a catastrophe, even in the wake of surgery.

The naked truth is that life is about power. Right now with doctors it comes down the the power of your insurance or va benefits or whatever, the things that doctors respect and respond to---that's power.

You have power, too.

I am supremely confident that if they lights go out while you are trying to read this, your husband and kids will be fending for you. I suspect that you are already a good neighbor and a friend; I think that you will be a much better friend if TSHTF, because as they say,

A friend in need is a friend in need.

And your neighbors and friends will need your expertise, your know-how, and your supplies. They'll treat you better than they do now.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Me personally I blew my knee 15 yrs ago I damaged my lateral and crucuit and tore my cartilage I had the cartilage done but not the ligaments now I have arthritis in it and now am waiting for fusion surgery on my spine.
Would I help a mother with children who was injured if you were by yourself or I didn't feel threatened yes I would I couldn't find it in myself to leave them to fend for themselve.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

To start off, I am a married mother of two youngins, work 36 hrs a week 12 hour shifts of nonstop walking bending and stooping, I homeschool, organic garden, raise chickens, shoot guns and over all am preparing for a *prepper* scenario in which anything can happen. I am very active, but recently have been diagnosed as needing surgery.

I don't see anything to worry about. In fact, if you were in my particular "bug-out" camp, or wanting to join it, I'd give you a free pass.

You are the rare sort that has the tenacity to survive. Even if it were a permanent injury, your knowledge is what we would need. That alone is what makes you special. You would be a welcome addition, physically capable, or not.

Best of luck on your surgery, keep us posted, please!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Honestly, the only people I might leave behind are the drama types and the people who are 'too good' to work for their daily bread. Also ingrates; ungrateful people are more likely to steal from you because they have no respect for your labor.

I mean, as long as we aren't trying to cover 20 miles a day, why would I ditch you? Without an automated kitchen, food production is quite a chore; and frankly, you're an extra set of hands if willing to work.

My grandmother lived in our house when I was growing up; she had to use a walker or wheel chair. But when I came home from school she was usually snapping green beans or peeling potatoes. She made us do the dishes after supper, while she mended and ironed the family clothes. I know all that seems like "just women's work" today, but my mother was quite grateful to have the help, and acted as a nurse for her mother-in-law when gramma became to weak to sit up any more.

My grandmother was a sweet old lady who was ready to help and contribute where she could. On the other hand she had a black wooden cane and I can remember the first time I tried out some profanity in front of her. She also beat the crap out of my brother with his own tennis shoe when he told her that he didn't need to pick up his own room. My dad "explained" that she was the boss when he & mom were out, and that all debts would be settled when he got home for supper each evening . I mean she was a sweet old lady but she wasn't about to take any grief from us. She loved us, and I am sorry that my kids will never know her.

We actually did help her with a lot of her cooking and cleaning. Yet she knew what she wanted and just how to cook it. Sure there was the family bond underneath it all, but she was also a key member of the family form an economic standpoint.

And she made cookies and pies from scratch!
edit on 25-5-2012 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I have noticed on ATS that there are individuals that seem to take pleasure in putting others efforts to prepare down, I should look at this if I were you, it is going to happen and maybe in the not to distant future. With that sort of attitude you may well find yourselves alone and maybe you will be burnt toast. How about offering constructive advice that will help.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I have noticed on ATS that there are individuals that seem to take pleasure in putting others efforts to prepare down, I should look at this if I were you, it is going to happen and maybe in the not to distant future. With that sort of attitude you may well find yourselves alone and maybe you will be burnt toast. How about offering constructive advice that will help.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Sorry about my last post being repeated I've had nothing but probs the last couple of weeks I would appreciate if one of the mods could take the repeats down many thanks

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I'm back after my surgery. The surgery itself went well. It is however more painful than I imagined.....Thank goodness for powerful pain meds and ice!!

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes!! ((hugs))

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I'm glad the surgery went well for you. I hope in the uk when it goes I meet up with people like yourself I think your a breathe of fresh air.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by anarchy2012

Wow, thank you very much!!! Your kind words have made my day!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
That's no problem hun I hope you don't mind but I've added you to my friends list.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

As I am sure you may well know, but during a time of absolute lawlessness, bands of people will start banning together, some for defensive purposes and some for offensive purposes. The larger your community/city the more dangerous it would be in the beginning. The stronger groups will prevail and eventually seek out the smaller groups (more than likely to acquire their supplies and what not).

In my opinion, the more self sufficient you are the better. That being said it is safe to assume you know your neighbors pretty well, if you don’t plan of housing them or having them in your bunker when the SHTF, it would be best to keep the specific details of your preparation to yourself. Desperate situations will change people, nothing more dangerous than a parent looking out for their children, which in turn can make you a target. If your neighbors didn’t prepare, but they know you did, think you will be getting a knock on the door? Absolutely, and if they aren’t part of you emergency action plan, be weary.

The best bet for long term survival would ultimately require banning together, so start now! Start training and prepping with your imitate neighbors and work your way out.

Would I help my neighbors in a time of need or if they were injured? Yes, most people would, but not at the expense of my own family.

For example,
Random injured person with kids on the side of the road: Its hard to cover all scenarios but Yes, would stop to render aid in anyway I knew how. Pack them up and bring them to my safe zone? Probably not right away, depending on the severity of the injuries. Would supply food, water and any medical aid I could to the family, then help find them shelter or their safe zone (if they have one). Once you absolutely feel they are no threat or have ill intentions, then yes. They would probably be incorporated into the group and given shelter if that were their desire.

Now, make it a member of my neighborhood group on the side of the road, and its “pack em up and move em out” get them to safety and back on their feet.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I have the exact same injury so I feel your pain.

My situation though was I did it about 3 years ago playing basketball and being a young man just shrugged it off and lived with the pain as I have a very high pain tollerence. But I reinjured it about 3 months ago playing basketball again and this time it was really screwed, could barely walk for a while. Also the fact the the medical coverage system here has been screwing me around these past few months dosn't help

BUT thankfully I've got it all sorted and will be seeing a surgeon to set up a date for surgery in a week

From what I've heard after you have recovered from the surgery it's like having a whole new knee

Which I hope is true because I'm usually a really active person and have been totally depressed being stuck at home not being able to play sports or go to the gym or anything.

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well and hope you're recovery process goes well.

Will you be updating this thread with how your recovery is going?
edit on 30-5-2012 by doodles40 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2012 by doodles40 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
@ doodles good luck with the surgeon, I wish our nhs would sort itself out I've been told I could wait 2 yrs for mine

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by anarchy2012

Dam that sucks man.

Where abouts are you from?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by doodles40

Hi!!

This is Post Op day 5. The pain has been horrible, no lie. I am just now able to put some weight on it, but still using crutches. I have been keeping it elevated often, and using lots of ice(frozen peas in a bag). Percocet, and Motrin have been lifesavers!!! Of course the Percocet made me sick for 2 days, threw up a few times before I realized, taking it with food is vitally important!!

I have been slowly making sure I do not lose my range of motion and causing no pain when doing so. If it hurts you must stop! I am glad however that I have decided to have the surgery!!! Yes, it will take a while to recover, but the end result of having mobility again is my goal!!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by anarchy2012
@ doodles good luck with the surgeon, I wish our nhs would sort itself out I've been told I could wait 2 yrs for mine

That really sux! You are in the UK right? Is it socialized medicine there? That is the reason why I am against socialized medicine. You are told when how and why if you can have surgery!!! Im sorry but if I get injured, I want surgery to fix it immediately!! Waiting around until your allotted turn seems unfair......sorry ranting here.......

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join