It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Is News On Iraq Being Manipulated?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
We may have a multi-front conspiracy here designed to mislead the American voter. First, team Bush is scripting Iraqi Americans to go out as evangelists on how the US effort in Iraq is a great thing. Second, they are looking to actively suppress negative reports (reality) coming out of the frontlines. And third, it's been supposedly found out that the White House wrote that very rosy speech delivered by Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi!!
These are three stories from three sources that all dovetail into the active manipulation of the facts on the ground, by this White House.

www.csmonitor.com
The Bush team, The Washington Post reports Thursday, worried that negative stories about Iraq are dominating the news headlines during an election period, has decided to send out Iraq Americans to bring what the Defense Department calls "the good news" about the situation in Iraq to US military bases.
The unusual public-relations effort by the Pentagon and the U.S. Agency for International Development comes as details have emerged showing the U.S. government and a representative of President Bush's reelection campaign had been heavily involved in drafting the speech given to Congress last week by interim Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi. Combined, they indicate that the federal government is working assiduously to improve Americans' opinions about the Iraq conflict -- a key element of Bush's reelection message.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We had President Bush admonish Senator Kerry in the debates last night, after Kerry pointed out the truth: that Allawi's speech was blowing smoke up our kilts. We see now, as referenced by Senator Feinstein's remarks on the Washington Post's investigative work, that people are none too pleased with the willful misleading.
"You may be surprised by this, Mr. President, but I viewed Prime Minister Allawis speech as an independent view on conditions in Iraq", she wrote.
"His speech gave me hope that reconstruction efforts were proceeding in most of the country and that elections could be held on schedule. To learn that this was not an independent view, but one that was massaged by your campaign operatives, jaundices the speech and reduces the credibility of his remarks," Feinstein wrote.

Accountability starts by noting that the errors of this White House are followed by attempted cover up or a refusal to acknowledge the errors, not solutions.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
news.yahoo.com

[edit on 1-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

This kind of says it all, no?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
you shoulde email that pic to every high politician in the US government...id do it but im lazy. lol

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The real situation in Iraq is being ignored IMHO. The first casualty of war is the truth.

I posted this thread (Iraq rebels atttack 2,300 times in a month) as an example of what is going on but received little response (not unusual for me
)

Edit: link fix

[edit on 10/1/2004 by Gools]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
The real situation in Iraq is being ignored IMHO. The first casualty of war is the truth.

I posted this thread (Iraq rebels atttack 2,300 times in a month) as an example of what is going on but received little response (not unusual for me
)

Edit: link fix

I know the feeling.
Here's my thread on the same subject from the 29th:
Iraq, 2,368 attacks in 30 days

I do agree the major networks are ignoring a lot of the attacks and other negative news coming out Iraq.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Dude, a giant volcano could start signaling eruption in an October 1st suprise and the corporate "nip it in the bud" media like Fox News would call it a steam vent.

Did you notice this suppression of reality aspect to the article? Apparently the "good news" on the way is 20 years in jail for speaking out. :shk:

And if they can't suppress the truth, suppressing the vote will have to do.

Very, very strange times we live in...

Something's on the march, but it aint Democracy.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Wow Ace those were some great maps! Sorry I missed that. So much crap to wade through on ATS.

Rant I read that "Why We Cannot Win" essay and then your post about the consequences. Sad.

If Bush wins next month things are going to get really hairy.

Imagine what these guys will do when they do not have to worry about re-election! Yikes!

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
You also have to take into account that everything you hear second hand has a perceptional 'twist' to it. When I tell you about something I saw, I am not telling you what happened as a phenomenon unto itself, but rather HOW I SAW what happened. My morals, values, cultural normalsies and taboos, concepts of right and wrong, etc seep into the purity of the information of the actual event and warp it in a way that I am not even aware of.

A person is not reporting an event as much as they are reporting on their 'perception' of an event.

Now with this taken into account....of course they're lieing! They're always lieing!

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Rant I read that "Why We Cannot Win" essay and then your post about the consequences. Sad.

If Bush wins next month things are going to get really hairy.

You Sir, have me confused with a defeatist or disinformation agent I do believe.

This RANT never said no such thing.

Could you point me to my doppleganger bitte?

EDIT: Oh not my essay, just a post in it. Gotcha.

[edit on 1-10-2004 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
EDIT: Oh not my essay, just a post in it. Gotcha.

Heh.. Heh... I was all ready to explain myself and went back to your post and saw the edit. I should of explained it better.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well it's hard to get response to actual news that hasn't been defined by the adult parents of the country - politicians, pundits, and religious leaders.

Ever notice how most people don't have their own views and are unable to analyze information and formulate a response? The vast majority of people can only have views that have been provided for them, and they'll fight tooth and nail to defend those ideas, even if they have nothing to do with reality.

new topics

top topics

join