It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Ford steal Austen Martin's signature styles?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
If you ask me ford did a good job on the fusion in the past but now they just ripped off ideas from another company. look at the similarities here:
2013 Ford Fusion

And here:
Austen Martin Rapid

Does this seem like something Ford might get in trouble with Austen Martin about legally based on some copy right laws on car designs?
edit on 23-5-2012 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Yes the new Ford does look a lot like the Aston Martin, but Ford owns Aston so I don't think they are going to sue themselves anytime soon.

Wiki

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Typing with one hand, but looks similar. and not close. The new age ford looks like the GTO ford. Use to have one. Stupid boats. But, it's similar to the GTO I think. Nothing compared to Aston Martin. Hate those cars. I had the 69 version, but sold it in my divorce. I wasn't about to let him have it.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Funny you should point that out. I was watching T.V. today and saw a ford commercial for that car and I thought the very same thing.....weird!
brice

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I don't think they are going to get in trouble. Is Austen Martin the time traveling car??

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Is Austen Martin the time traveling car??

Negatory. You are thinking of the Delorean from back to the future. That's built by D.M.C. Now that someone has mentioned it, ford actually owns Austen Martin! I was not aware of that. But I should have been. Ford owns so many auto makers around the world I have lost track. My apologies.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Aston Martin.

And no, despite some small similarities, I don't see it being copied and I don't see Ford getting in trouble for it either.

Not while the Chinese can get away with it...

www.bmwblog.com...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The Aston Martin looks much better, IMO. Also, given a certain size and CAFE requirements, cars will always "look similar" because a mileage-efficient design demands it. These cars aren't low and sleek just to look good, but to increase airflow and get better mileage. As far as I can see, most all cars with gas mileage as a priority are trending to look the same. (Note: I know Aston Martin probably doesn't care much about mileage, but I still think the point is valid for how a lot of cars look similar these days.)
edit on 5/23/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78
reply to post by spyder550

Is Austen Martin the time traveling car??

Negatory. You are thinking of the Delorean from back to the future. That's built by D.M.C. Now that someone has mentioned it, ford actually owns Austen Martin! I was not aware of that. But I should have been. Ford owns so many auto makers around the world I have lost track. My apologies.

Ok Austin Powers Austen Martin -- probably two obscure. sorry
My car buddies would be rolling on the ground -- particularly the one with the DMC

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong it is a good look but I just wish ford didn't copy it on to one of their sedans. It raises eye brows to car guys like myself. besides I actually liked the previous ford fusion model of last year kinda better.
edit on 26-5-2012 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It wouldn't be a first though. And even if the similarity is obvious, if it's not an exact copy there's only so much that a design copyright could claim.

And Aston Martin wouldn't be alone in being mimicked either. Hyundai did a nice job of having some models look like some Mercedes or Jaguar cars from a distance, and I've heard of the Chrysler 300s being called "ghetto Bentleys".

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

and I've heard of the Chrysler 300s being called "ghetto Bentleys".
reply to post by pauljs75

I agree. they are pimped out by rappers more than most cars. speaking of pimped out cars I hate it when guys put $1,000 24-28 inch chrome rims on old crappy Buick's and Acuras from the 80's and 90's. Not the best years for car designers. Talk about ghetto garbage.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
car companies tend to copy eachother's styles. Have been for years. here are some examples.
64 dodge dart
www.americandreamcars.com...

64 rambler american
lh5.googleusercontent.com...

notice the similarities? here are a few more.

pontiac fiero

upload.wikimedia.org...

ferrari 308

upload.wikimedia.org...

48 hudson

www.popsgarage.com...

49 mercury

www.seriouswheels.com...

basically someone does soemthing that everyone likes, it get's copied, here's the biggest one i've noticed.

Dodges "big rig" styling of 95

cdn.tradebit.org...

This Style became very popular, thus other companies making updated copies of it.

images04.olx.com...

www.google.com...:&imgrefurl=http://www.gotbroken.com/cars/gmc&imgurl=h ttp://www.gotbroken.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/2005-gmc-sierra-denali-1500-crew-cab-front-angle-view-588x441.jpg&w=588&h=441&ei=oQc5UICEGMfzygHI-o CwCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=101&vpy=221&dur=860&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=131&ty=130&sig=111699287803852917023&page=2&tbnh=134&tbnw=180&start=12&ndsp=16&ved=1t :429,r:4,s:12,i:153

www.ktbb.com...

i hope these links work.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thov420

Ford does not own Aston Martin anymore. Ford sold AM to investors in 2007.
Several Fords now have an Aston Martin flavour grille: check out the electrical Ford Focus.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
No offense but they look absolutely nothing alike.

Also there are many cars out there that look like other cars, just look at some of the Hyundai's, they look like luxury knock offs.

new topics

top topics

join