It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Big Sleep. Human Hibernation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The article I have come across is a little dated,but I feel it's relative to survival in colder climates.

In the summer months,the peasants of rural France work hard,growing they're crops,tending to the livestock.

When winter came around,everyone went into a slumber.
No work was done,maybe a few around to keep the fires going.
Life was basically put on hold til the next spring.

Economists and bureaucrats who ventured out into the countryside after the Revolution were horrified to find that the work force disappeared between fall and spring. The fields were deserted from Flanders to Provence. Villages and even small towns were silent, with barely a column of smoke to reveal a human presence. As soon as the weather turned cold, people all over France shut themselves away and practiced the forgotten art of doing nothing at all for months on end.

The forgotten art of doing nothing at all?
I know a few people who haven't forgotten this.

In the mountains, the tradition of seasonal sloth was ancient and pervasive. “Seven months of winter, five months of hell,” they said in the Alps. When the “hell” of unremitting toil was over, the human beings settled in with their cows and pigs. They lowered their metabolic rate to prevent hunger from exhausting supplies. If someone died during the seven months of winter, the corpse was stored on the roof under a blanket of snow until spring thawed the ground, allowing a grave to be dug and a priest to reach the village.

www.nytimes.com...

With that being said,take note of this during the cold winter months in a shtf scenario.
It saves on resources in a time when there is few to be had.
edit on 22-5-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I really like the part of storing grandma on the roof till spring.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

or maybe putting her out on the porch, so the mailman keeps bringing the retirement money.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Narcissous
reply to post by kdog1982

or maybe putting her out on the porch, so the mailman keeps bringing the retirement money.

Well,maybe that is why putting her in the freezer til they catch me tradition came into play.
edit on 22-5-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Good advice, Kdog. In such a scenario, if it is too cold to really do anything else, then hibernating, or at least doing a whole lot of nothing, makes a great deal of sense. Active people need to eat a lot more.

The only problem with where I live is, there are some winters which are practically non-existent (such as this last one). There was only one month that was really cold and uncomfortable, and that was December.

Still, smart advice for conservation of food and water.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
The forgotten art of doing nothing at all?
I know a few people who haven't forgotten this.

My 18 y/o little brother lives with me in central FLorida and he hibernates all year long even though there is 9 months of summer (Sept.- May) and 3 months of HELL (June - August)!!!!

The real mindjob is that we're from Michigan.
edit on 23-5-2012 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I shall post this only once.
Use it as you will.
This was from a horse training website.
It's 33 pages long,with little golden nuggets in between the crap.
Be patient and go through it.
google translate is your friend.
You didn't see it here.
www.horsetrainingbase.com...

Has to do with the bevatron.

Please share.
edit on 23-5-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Thanks,fission.
Yes it will be something to think about if anything goes down.
Ask someone you know about the above post.
Sorry to be so cryptic about it.

edit on 23-5-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This may have been so in France or the Alps... however, the smart survivalist and any farmer in moderate climates is always busy and making productive use of time and weather and day light.

Fall and early winter is filled with tending winter crops like lettuces, cabbages, onions, greens... mending fences and out buildings... hunting... mending and repairing tools and equipment... mending and sewing clothes... quilting... getting in wood... pruning fruit trees and grape vines... exploring the woods and forests while trees are dormant and visibility is good... etc.

Mid and late winter are cold, but there are still many chores to do... cutting wood for next winter, tearing up ground for spring, clearing new fields for crops... sewing hot beds and seed beds for early and mid spring transplanting... hog killing and slaughtering livestock on very cold days and prepping meat for smoking, curing... good time to build and mend stone walls as snakes are dormant... still cutting wood... catch up on reading, writing, studying, and visiting neighbors and loved ones.... and by late winter/early spring many of your farm animals will start dropping calves, kidds, foals...etc.

And if you have a farm with machinary like tractors and trucks and trailers... it will be mucho mass work doing routine maintainance and repairs prior to spring planting... even in a SHTF scenario... will be time to get tools and ground ready for spring planting.

Nope... to paraphrase a proverb from the Bible..." a turning and folding of hands and a little slumber will bring forth poverty like a thief in the night.".... "Look upon the ants and see how even they labor in preparation."

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I dont like the cold.. never did even though my family is from Montana and Canada. Just naturally I sort of hibernate every winter. I spend a good amt of time in the summer preparing for winter and then hunker down until its warm again. WHen I worked, I had to work and get out.. but I slept a lot and did what I do now on off time. We moved to Illinois due to job transfer and right off hte bat there was a huge ice storm and knocked power out for almost a week. I freaked out.. Id never seen that sort of ice and it scared the hell out of me. At that point I started thinking abuot.. what if the power went out, grid crashed, SHTF... and started making things in this house we bought winter proof and easily heatable as I can with alternate sources... so I can be warm and do my hibernation thing.
Anyhoo... hibernation makes sense in the cold. The less you move around and hunker down with the fam.. the less resources you consume.

new topics

top topics

join