It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Your Typical UFO Conference

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Something called the "Cosmic Exploration Conference" (the first one apparently) is being held in Las Vegas this October.

This first of its kind conference will examine both current knowledge and future possibilities within the fast-growing, scientific exploration of outer space. Through the interface of cosmology, astrobiology, sociology and cutting edge physics, we will explore the search for earth-like exoplanets and extraterrestrial life; the potential implications of contact; and technologies which might exist within civilizations thousands or millions of years ahead of us. We will also present a rigorous and rational overview of the UFO question, as it should be understood within a scientific, historical context. Our goal is to bring these many interrelated areas together for the first time, as presented only by leading, credentialed professionals, and to begin a dialogue within an expanded scientific framework about the search for signs of life in the cosmos and its implications.

The speakers list includes Leslie Kean, Wilfried DeBrouwer, John Alexander, George Knapp, Lee Speigel of the Huffington Post, and a few other people with whom I'm not familiar but who seem to have some status in their respective fields:

Jeffrey Bennett holds a B.A. in Biophysics from the University of California at San Diego and an M.S. and Ph.D. in astrophysics from the University of Colorado at Boulder. He has taught at every level from preschool through graduate school in subjects including astronomy, physics, mathematics, and education. He is the author of leading college textbooks in astronomy, mathematics, statistics, and astrobiology, including Life in the Universe coauthored with Seth Shostak, the #1, best selling textbook for astrobiology courses.

The main theme of the conference appears to be "extraterrestrial life", but the UFO topic seems like it's going to get a fair share of coverage. I'd love to see these presentations pop up on YouTube at some point.

If you're in the Las Vegas area or have the means to get there, this could make for a great weekend.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the info.
I would love to see this live on t.v. or even just listened to on the radio (wishfull thinking). It sounds like they have so much to discuss. I'm going to stay optimistic on this conference being a new begining for new discoveries.

Bzzzzzzz!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

Firstly a UFO is an Unidentified Flying Object so stop making the connection between UFO's and alien civilizations.
And secondly, there is ZERO evidence for extraterrestrial life, and even if there were alien civilizations out there, we would have already been visited by now.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
So, here we are, in the first efforts of "unofficial" but formal sources bridging the gap between those that can't see the "forest for the trees," meaning Science (big S) meets UFOs. Obviously, being that so many potential attendees (if not presenters) will be connected to government money in some fashion there will not be any bashing of Science and the government's almost total public avoidance of the issue for over half a century.

In a word, look for a whitewash as far as knowledgeable UFOers are concerned but the public will see what the will presume as honest and enlightening talk about the subject. It is, afterall, another step down the road. I should applaude the coming effort, I guess, But after 45 years of being an abductee in 1964, it sorta pisses me off, you know?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

Firstly a UFO is an Unidentified Flying Object so stop making the connection between UFO's and alien civilizations.
And secondly, there is ZERO evidence for extraterrestrial life, and even if there were alien civilizations out there, we would have already been visited by now.

He never said any such thing. In any case, since you know everything, I guess we can all go home now. Thanks so much for stopping by ATS and setting us all straight.

OP, looks like a good speaker's list so far. No nutjobs and Exo-politics crazies. Might be good. Thanks for the heads up.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This looks interesting a more grounded type ufo event. If anything it will be good entertainment I look forward to the torrent. At least I wont have to listen to Hoagland tell me that Obama is the face on mars like the last conference I watched.

Also I think that anything that prepares us for eventual contact is a good thing, although I hope it doesn't happen before we rid ourselves of our corrupt gov, they would surely screw it up.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Our goal is to bring these many interrelated areas together for the first time, as presented only by leading, credentialed professionals ...

Leading Credentialed Professionals.
I like the sound of that.
Too long have laymen self-appointed, non-credentialed, so called 'researchers' flailed about in this arena, some with honest and rigorous intent, but too often getting caught up in the circus that we know of as ufology.

Even names like Stan Friedman lose credibility when examined to find that all they seem to do is lecture at conferences for pay, playing the same song they've been playing that was once a big hit back in 1980-something, but is now just tired, and geared for preaching to the choir.

Ufology needs be retired for a new critical, scientific look by people that actually have credibility, that aren't tainted with or corrupted by the money carousel of lectures and presentations that is current paradigm for the UFO-Conference circuit.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Seems you are wrong in both your statements.

The OP made no connection between alien life or UFO's, you just wanted to jump on him for some reasons.
Also, I am afraid there is lots of evidence for extraterrestrial life.
And if they were intelligent, well, you are not part of the "we" you mentioned, so how would you know, unless you are included in everything that goes on on this planet?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Even names like Stan Friedman lose credibility when examined to find that all they seem to do is lecture at conferences for pay, playing the same song they've been playing that was once a big hit back in 1980-something, but is now just tired, and geared for preaching to the choir.

Ufology needs be retired for a new critical, scientific look by people that actually have credibility, that aren't tainted with or corrupted by the money carousel of lectures and presentations that is current paradigm for the UFO-Conference circuit.

Totally agree, Druscilla. When I first started looking into this topic, I really liked Stanton Friedman (I still "like" him). He seemed to pull no punches and a lot of what he said made sense. It still does. But then I saw him in a documentary from the 1970s giving practically the exact same speech - nearly word for word - that he was giving in 2007, and I was a little disappointed ("underline 'some' ten times"). I understand that the books and the lecture circuit are how Friedman makes his living, and I don't begrudge him that, but I no longer consider him to be someone who helps to further the cause, so to speak. Seeing him on the Larry King show holding his book up for the camera while the discussion was taking place was kind of a breaking point for me and Stanton.

With regards to your desire for a "critical, scientific look" at the topic, I'm right there with you. In my opinion, Leslie Kean has done more for this effort than practically anyone in recent years. I very much respect what she's trying to do and her strategy for going about it. I think she is on the right track with her "militant agnosticism" - even if that's not what she really believes. I've not seen a conference such as this one before. If it's a success, maybe it will be the beginning of a trend.

Thanks for your response.
edit on 22-5-2012 by Orkojoker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
After reading into the list provided by the OP, I've gathered that these folks all have some very interesting backgrounds; ranging from Military, Media, Religion, and Science.

Prestigious even.

No doubt this will be interesting, I'm very curious about how much attention this is going to receive.

I found this video on Mrs. Kean to be interesting.

Will be doing a bit of light research (google, heh) on them all --- including the providers of this Conference.

Would be be ironic if it was the Rockefellers again

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Thanks for the video.
I feel bad for the woman as, here she is being deadpan serious, and the reporter interviewing her is basically snickering behind his hand and waggling his eyebrows the entire time, not to mention the extra little distracting special effects of the screen pop-ups that occur.

I like the idea of a serious look at whatever this phenomenon is. She hit it right. We don't know what this phenomenon is, at least in the public forum, and it'd be nice to have a better less side-show look to investigate and put some science on whatever it is.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
A sad as it is this subject will always be filed with the "Lunatic Fringe". Do a survey. Go door to door in your hood and ask each person, "Did you know that UFO's are real?" See where that gets you.

Somebody bring the conference here if you would. I doubt we will hear about its ground shattering revelations any where else in the main stream.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

You went from alien life to alien civilizations in just one sentance
, the two are not exclusive. The fact that microbial life on mars has all but been proven suggests that life can also form outside our solar system, some of that life may even have evolved intelligence. To think we are the best there is in the universe is just plain arrogence, not to mention scary as hell.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

the search for earth-like exoplanets and extraterrestrial life; the potential implications of contact; and technologies which might exist within civilizations thousands or millions of years ahead of us.

Its right there, the connection between UFO's and "alien civilizations" is NOT confirmed.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

for a number of reasons this has to go down as one of the worst posts I've ever seen on ATS. Wrong on so many levels.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

reply to post by schuyler

the search for earth-like exoplanets and extraterrestrial life; the potential implications of contact; and technologies which might exist within civilizations thousands or millions of years ahead of us.

Its right there, the connection between UFO's and "alien civilizations" is NOT confirmed.

Absolutely correct, Crimson. It's not confirmed, only suggested. But I notice that UFOs are not mentioned in the quote you cited.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Orkojoker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

and even if there were alien civilizations out there, we would have already been visited by now.

So, if an alien civilization made that same statement, I suppose it would be inaccurate for them say... right?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

What are you talking about?
There is TONS of "Evidence".. Just no PROOF.
Get it right or go home pal! lol

And stop making such asinine assumptions.

Do you research or keep it shut.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose

What are you talking about?
There is TONS of "Evidence".. Just no PROOF.
Get it right or go home pal! lol

And stop making such asinine assumptions.

Do you research or keep it shut.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

Ok where is all these tonnes of evidence?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Guess it wasn't meant to be ...................... the conference 5th to 7th I will be there 13th to 20th

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join