It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is magic so limited?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

I was going to correct one of your points and address my opinions of others but this is a thread on magic not aliens or the Bible.
As I don't want to thread jack I won't carry on this tangent out of respect of the other readers.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by TheGrandWarlock

Also, a lot of the 'magic' in fantasy is actually super advanced technology we had tens of thousands of years ago.

I like this reply. Shows a deeper understanding of these things. Because lets face it, there really is no such thing as "magic". The word magic reminds me of a term used by some ignorant medieval peasant to describe why one of his oxen died of a disease or why some his fellow villagers were getting sick lol.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pigraphia
reply to post by myn4m3

I don't much like this theory.
It's as if magic itself isn't manifesting because we aren't worthy, or someone or something is blocking it.

Someone or something is blocking abilities (no such thing as magic), yes, I like that. You know as they say: an ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure.

But hmmm......never remember mentioning anything about people being, as you say, "enlightened" or anything about "humanity as a whole".
I did say "most don't deserve abilities like that", never said all.

edit on 29-5-2012 by myn4m3 because: change

edit on 29-5-2012 by myn4m3 because: edit

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by myn4m3

Originally posted by myn4m3
Someday, perhaps, when the ego driven warmongering humans grow up more, abilities like this may be more common.

If warmongering humans growing up isn't a reference to being enlightened I don't know what is.

As far as an ounce of prevention being better than a pound of cure.
I understand the concept, and there may be instances where that is true.
I just favor free will above all, and that comes with the good and bad that entails.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

If warmongering humans growing up isn't a reference to being enlightened I don't know what is.

I just favor free will above all, and that comes with the good and bad that entails.

It simply means doing a better job of getting along with one another, and living together in relative peace on a much wider scale - world wide. So far no civilization on this planet has really accomplished that, to my knowledge. Not what I would call enlightenment. But then I don't believe in so-called enlightenment anyway.

If you believe in free will above all then would you also give a loaded gun to a child if they asked for one to play with? That's their free will. Because in some ways that's really what your suggesting we do.

edit on 29-5-2012 by myn4m3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by myn4m3
If you believe in free will above all then would you also give a loaded gun to a child if they asked for one to play with? That's their free will. Because in some ways that's really what your suggesting we do.

edit on 29-5-2012 by myn4m3 because: (no reason given)

Ah I love when people take something to the absurd.
That's actually a logical fallacy taking someones point making an extremely absurd statement then saying their argument fails barbecue the absurd fails.

Define child? I would let a 10 year old have a pellet gun, a 12 year old have a shot gun.
I might even go younger depending on the child.
Yes I believe in free will, and letting people exercise it as much as possible.
People just need some foundational education first, and depending on the person that education might be attainable at varying ages.

It's all about educating them.
Throw on top of that there are some things a child can't comprehend, though I would argue that is more of society messing around.
You used to be an adult at 13-15 with adult responsibilities now we treat them like children still.
I could go into developmental psychology, or even the physical development of the brain but that's not what this thread is for.

I try not to entertain logical fallacies much further than to point them out as in a conversation they are more than a little rude.
I did entertain your fallacy longer than I should have, that is a fault on my part.
It just irks me when someone pulls out a fallacy to try and validate their point, or invalidate another.

I'd like to actually get back to the thread now if that's okay with you.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Ah I love when people take something to the absurd.
That's actually a logical fallacy taking someones point making an extremely absurd statement then saying their argument fails barbecue the absurd fails.

Sounds like your the one being absurd. First, we are on topic. Your saying we should all have access to these so-called magic powers the thread starter asked about and it should be our right to them because of free will.

I'm saying no, there are rules and grades of advancement you have to follow or you won't be able to handle these abilities/would be too immature for them and would most likely bring harm (or even death) to others and yourself.

I'm also saying "most" people on this planet are too immature/selfish or war like and would abuse any of these abilities if they had them, and that is at least part of the reason almost no one has any of them or ever will have access to them.

Some things in life have to be earned and in this case there are no shortcuts. To quote from a popular book/movie I like, "You will not succeed. Only the worthy can unlock the stone".

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
You need the right person who has the ability and also that person has to know magic is real. Science is afraid of magic because it could crush the belief in science. If you have great magical abilities and don't know it than you are no threat to Science. Schools teach us that magic is just an illusion. Some is but remember that our world is nothing but an illusion also. Look at the Economies, Money, Media, and Legal systems. They aren't real. We are BSed to believe they are for us but most people understand that only a few enjoy the support of these things. If you play the game then you succeed. That is about to change. Everything we know will be turned upside down in the near future. This illusion man created is about to be exposed. The truth will prevail.

I can make up things just as well as the ones that structure this present reality.
My above paragraph is about as real as America's economy
I suppose that makes that paragraph a lie

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGrandWarlock
perhaps only from my perspective, but it seems like magic is really restrained.
why do you think that is?

it feels like there's something blocking the flow or a connection/link is missing..has the really powerful magic been forgotten, is it a lost art now?

im talking about the magic that lets you fly, control the elements, teleport, shapeshift, ressurect the dead, etc.

what happened to it?

or am i just crazy and it never existed in the first place?
i mean there must be a reason why theres so much magic in fantasy..is magic just a made-up concept or was magic real then put into fantasy books by TPTB so that we would think it wasnt real? CONSPIRACY!

no but seriously, i am completely stumped
edit on 22-5-2012 by TheGrandWarlock because: (no reason given)

what happened to it? it went into hiding....

There are probably a few witches or sorcerors/wizards still lying around that can achieve these things but keep it a closely guarded secret and live in hiding. Not to mention I'm pretty sure there are a few monks hiding away somewhere that can easily regrow limbs, levitate, move objects with their mind and manifest objects out of thin air. Good luck finding them or getting them to share though.

I would say all this is achievable through the power of the mind alone, through willpower and intent. Mind over matter. Magick is merely a tool for the mind and the mind is the real power behind it. Magick is still around btw but I imagine most of the destructive and powerful stuff has either been lost or kept a very closely guarded secret.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by myn4m3

And...

The fact that you have to learn the skills is enough of a challenge.
I am saying that there should be no restrictions on who is given a chance to learn.

Anyone who wants to should be allowed to attempt to learn.

The fact that it's a challenge to learn something is enough of a barrier.

You were talking about not even letting people try to learn, that isn't right.
Everyone should be allowed to attempt to learn something because free will is important.

You want to limit education opportunities(if they exist as this is a theoretical discussion).
Limiting education opportunities is enslavement plain and simple.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

You were talking about not even letting people try to learn, that isn't right.
Everyone should be allowed to attempt to learn something because free will is important.

You want to limit education opportunities(if they exist as this is a theoretical discussion).
Limiting education opportunities is enslavement plain and simple.

Nope, I never said that. I never said that people can't attempt to try. It is what it is. I don't make the rules. If you can't understand my last (or other) post(s), then I can't help you. I'm not going to explain it any further. Good luck in your quest for power.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I have some experience in the type of magick OP was talking about. On 3 different occasions I made a piece of paper translate across a surface using a wand and an incantation. I never really had an interest in the 'airy' magick commonly practiced until, last year I recalled past life memories where 'hands-on' magick was commonplace across the ancient world and an interest in magick sparked. So yes such magick does exist.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Klimhazard

What incantation?
What was the wand made of?
Did you have to learn the principle behind the spell or just say it?
Did you have to say it perfectly?
Did you have to have a specific motion of the wand?

Video of you doing this would be great.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

reply to post by Klimhazard

What incantation?
What was the wand made of?
Did you have to learn the principle behind the spell or just say it?
Did you have to say it perfectly?
Did you have to have a specific motion of the wand?

Video of you doing this would be great.

For each of the times I was trying a different incantation. I used 'paris' (Akkadian for 'do'). 2nd time I used 'karma' (Sanskrit for 'do') and the non-verbal incantation was 'Asveh gamprate' ('the horse gallops'); the Source word (also non-verbal) was 'krishna'. The last time was a Hebrew word (can't remember it exactly). The wand was made of Jacaranda and needed 'charging' or 'editting' via visualisation beforehand. The wand motion was a nothing once, a jab once and a loop another time. So there is most definitely a principle behind the spell; from what I know the intelligence of magick is in part controlled by the intelligence of the Cosmos and also recently came to believe it can also be directed via beings known as the Rulers or Archons (although using them always means your spells and actions will come back to torment you for a little bit). I also tried putting a bit of my soul's essence into the wand to give it my magick intelligence and it worked a little bit. Sometimes a just get a vague illusion of the spell but I have had occasions where physical manifestation occured.

There is most definitely a principle behind it. It seems the way is the relationship between verbal incantation, non-verbal incantation and Source (as in the metaphysical concept of a thing that unites everything else and where everything comes from). Source includes the visualisation, feel of the spell and withdrawal of sexual energy from the chest (heart). Once realising that Source is the most important, just for fun I tried the 'lumos' spell from Harry Potter and I got a faint stream of light out of my wand for two occasions. This 'creativeness' seems to drive the magickal process and as such I find I can get a magickal 'writer's block'. Creativity is the the thing that unifies all objects and all minds with each other.

I was thinking of doing some videos but for the moment I don't feel the magickal weather is right so I haven't been practicing. I know from past lives that every now and then magick disappears from the world only to be rediscovered at a later time. Over the last 3000 years magick has been on the down except for a time in the 1600s when it sparked up again but died a bit later. Magick is primarily intended by the Higher Powers to teach lessons and as such is not intended to be dangerous. Killing spells in the past have done nothing but let an overwhelming peacefulness overcoming the target causing them to be enveloped by this peacefulness and basically lay down and act dead (lol); there also seems to be a bit of humour to magick- disembolwing curses give one diarrhoea etc.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

The thing is we do not understand more than half of the laws of physics (and there may be more). Some of the unexplored laws might lead to breakthroug’s like some of those the threadcreater original mentioned. As an example, and answer to those who say levitation is impossible, try spend a few hours on understanding how antigravity works and you might change your mind. For each of the laws of physics there’s an anti-law (believe we are investergating one of those currently), we also don’t understand the unified field theory all thou we're aware that it most like does exist and would lead to huge scientific breakthroug’us when we fully understand it.

The video below shows the basics of anti-gravity-fields, it also shows how scientists made a frog floating midair using strong magnetic fields. I would'nt take all the theories on AlienScientist as facts, but he seam genuine and is right on most of the physics explained (I admit I do not understand all of it). If interested in learning more maybe go to he's site where he got like 2 hours of explanations on antigravity and a lot more on the physics behind.

This technology could help explaining the building of the ancient megaliths - it could be a forgotten technology like someone in the thread suggested.

Another thing that might be proven within 10-20 years is M-theory. If this happens we proven that the universe consists of 10+1 dimensions and not 3+1 as we believe today. We can only imagine whats in these dimensions and what they might be used for. Imagine you could use the extra dimensions linked to your body as a storage room (bag of unlimited holding).
edit on 7-6-2012 by Mimir because: added a little on M-Theory

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mimir
reply to post by jiggerj

The thing is we do not understand more than half of the laws of physics (and there may be more). Some of the unexplored laws might lead to breakthroug’s like some of those the threadcreater original mentioned. As an example, and answer to those who say levitation is impossible, try spend a few hours on understanding how antigravity works and you might change your mind.

LOL Do you not see how you've changed magic into solid science? Magic would make a person just float in the air without rhyme or reason. The way antigravity works is with a lot of energy and logic. This is not magic.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I agree with you on that, but it would seam like magic to the uninitiated.

The closest you get to "real" magicians in our world probably is crystalhealers, yogi's, monks and advanced Chi Gong users.......and i believe they still need to learn a trick or too before we can call them mastermages

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

It is limited because it doesn't exist. Magic is nothing more than an excuse made up by the human mind to explain something it doesn't understand. What may seem like magic to you may be simple to another. There is no "magic" that will let you do any of the things you described. The closest humanity can ever get is through science and technology.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Because we still see the world as flat when it comes to understanding it.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Why is magic so limited?

Let's look at our lives. Every day people make decisions they cannot follow through on. Such as "I'm going to start a workout routine." or "I'm going to be positive from now on." Even though they start off in a good direction, before long, they give up. It's almost as if they are not in charge of their lives.

They're not. Within us, there are many influences. Preferences, social and genetic conditioning, life history, each trait gains a certain degree of influence on how we feel. The more we continue a habit, the more momentum that pattern has. The more we concentrate on a belief, for example, the more profound it becomes automatically. For example, if you think everyone's out to get you, and each new person in the neighborhood is imagined a thug or a criminal government agent, each time you see someone, anxiety will build, tension mounts. You begin to watch what you say, your body shows signs of stress, your perception is distorted.

This is a very dramatic example. Let's think about when we were in school. You'd see a nice young man or woman you find attractive(attractiveness is determined already by other factors, but not the scope of this topic.) Each time you look at them, or think they're beautiful, the more attractive they seem to you, the smaller their flaws become. Likewise, when you look at a politician, and each time you look at him you think he is a liar, a criminal, it generates a more intense automatic response when you think of him. This pattern of thought has gained a lot of influence in you.

For example, each day here on ATS, some thread about child or animal abuse comes up, and you know, you've seen too many atrocities, it builds momentum, you see just one picture and a strong feeling of sorrow or anger rises. This is a well-nourished potential inside of you.

These influences all cast a vote regarding how you'll think, feel, or act in a given situation. It's a rather automatic system. Confusion arises when there is no clear majority leaning one way or another.

What does this have to do with magic? Everything. Unless you've taken the time to convert your potentials, to become conscious of them, you cannot even determine how you feel. If you are not even in charge of the state of being you have, how could you influence external circumstances?

To speak briefly about manifestations and seemingly "magical" operation if you want an effect on something, you need to take away it's ability to influence your state of being. Not by being in denial of how you feel, for that would negate consciousness, and be in conflict with nature. You need to feel what is actually there, feel how your really feel, until it loses more and more power to determine what your inner state is. First you need to take away the power of external circumstances to influence how you feel, via projection of responsibility, then you need to stop identifying with the experiences that you feel personally, for identification is attachment, which gives the situation control over you.

If someone attacking your child throws you into a mad rage, instead of simply responding to the situation, you are not in charge of your state of being. You project the responsibility for how you feel in the identity you place in your child, and the frustrations you project on the attacker.

If you want mastery, you have to first become conscious. If you cannot stay completely concentrated on an object of focus for an unlimited time period, without having your mind waver or shift subject, you have too much identity in the mind, you have not mastered it. If you cannot remain conscious of every physical action you take, without simply moving automatically, you have not mastered it. If you cannot pay attention to every breathe, you are not a master.

Now, you want to fly? Ok. Can you consciously feel the atomic and subatomic components of your physical strcuture? No? If you can't even feel them, how are you going to be able to get them to perform how you want? You want to command the elements, but you're afraid of fire, you project a need for power into nature, and if it doesn't happen you doubt yourself and feel insecure? You're not going to make it happen. Is your perception limited still by the range of the nervous system?

You need to begin by reclaiming mastery over your state of being. Look at the message of Jesus, tortured, crucified, but such was the mastery that he was speaking of forgiving even those who had just destroyed his body. Mastery comes from experience, from being conscious, and observing until something is stripped entirely of influence over you, whether it's about how conscious you can be of it, or how it makes you feel. When you reclaim this, you can begin to train effectively to have whatever ability you wish.

You just need to be free of it's hold on you.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join