It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is magic so limited?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

ah that frog gets me thinking again.
i mean yeah its nice to not have to worry about a person you pissed off burn you alive but still.. it'd be nice to fight for you life or go on an epic adventure to save the world..or fight an army of zombies or something....but no thats too much to ask...safety breeds boredom..

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
According to the Bible, magick is something that only demonic entities that are in the spiritual realm (which is all around us) can do working through you. For example, if you want a table to float off the ground for a few seconds, you have to call out to ancestral spirits, spirit guides, or whatever you believe (which are all demons). Once you call out to them, you basically 'channel' the entity and it will do what you wish from the spiritual realm into this realm.

In other words, one has to be possessed by an entity or entities in order for 'magick' to manifest.

However, a table lifting off the ground is enough for some people to buy into the false doctrines which all ultimately lead to hell. The God I serve can speak the universe into existence instantaneously. Why not have the Holy Spirit? You can send demons into the abyss by the Spirit of God that is in believers. No magick can do that!
edit on 22-5-2012 by netgamer7k because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Go masturbate on some sigils or something.

The more you waste your time on it the more you see that you can achieve far more with your own two hands and some discipline.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by netgamer7k
According to the Bible, magick is something that only demonic entities that are in the spiritual realm (which is all around us) can do working through you. For example, if you want a table to float off the ground for a few seconds, you have to call out to ancestral spirits, spirit guides, or whatever you believe (which are all demons). Once you call out to them, you basically 'channel' the entity and it will do what you wish from the spiritual realm into this realm.

In other words, one has to be possessed by an entity or entities in order for 'magick' to manifest.

However, a table lifting off the ground is enough for some people to buy into the false doctrines which all ultimately lead to hell. The God I serve can speak the universe into existence instantaneously. Why not have the Holy Spirit? You can send demons into the abyss by the Spirit of God that is in believers. No magick can do that!

that sounds lame.
what did demons do to you anyway,theyre just chilling in existence and here comes on of your god's followers and beats his up just because hes a demon.

thats mean, youre mean, beating poor demons just because theyre different from you.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by netgamer7k

Funny how Jesus could do things people thought were magic... I suppose you believe He was possessed?

And what of the fact of the other miracles by other prophets, it is recorded that Elijah did eight major miracles and Elisha sixteen

i could go on, but i wont bother

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by jiggerj

Haha, and you understand all the laws of the universe?

I think not.

What does understanding the laws of the universe have to do with breaking the laws of the universe? If you can levitate a house so that it rises ten feet off the ground, there will be a logical and quite scientific reason for such an occurrence - hence, not magic.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGrandWarlock

My mind wants to tell you, that you are full of mince, not just any mince but the kind that has sat in a small pot and is discovered through in the back kitchen of a Transylvanian restaurant that has been shut down for the last 17 years due to a food poisoning outbreak. (bit of sarcasm in here in case you are easily offended)

Now that this is out of the way, my gut wants to tell you that the reason is because human beings are more linked to each other than most know. The more that people believe, share and educate each other in mass, the more easier it becomes to create, expand and use something.

The Japanese monkey, Macaca Fuscata, had been observed in the wild for a period of over 30 years.

In 1952, on the island of Koshima, scientists were providing monkeys with sweet potatoes dropped in the sand. The monkey liked the taste of the raw sweet potatoes, but they found the dirt unpleasant.

An 18-month-old female named Imo found she could solve the problem by washing the potatoes in a nearby stream. She taught this trick to her mother. Her playmates also learned this new way and they taught their mothers too.

This cultural innovation was gradually picked up by various monkeys before the eyes of the scientists. Between 1952 and 1958 all the young monkeys learned to wash the sandy sweet potatoes to make them more palatable. Only the adults who imitated their children learned this social improvement. Other adults kept eating the dirty sweet potatoes.

Then something startling took place. In the autumn of 1958, a certain number of Koshima monkeys were washing sweet potatoes -- the exact number is not known. Let us suppose that when the sun rose one morning there were 99 monkeys on Koshima Island who had learned to wash their sweet potatoes. Let's further suppose that later that morning, the hundredth monkey learned to wash potatoes.

THEN IT HAPPENED!

By that evening almost everyone in the tribe was washing sweet potatoes before eating them. The added energy of this hundredth monkey somehow created an ideological breakthrough!

But notice: A most surprising thing observed by these scientists was that the habit of washing sweet potatoes then jumped over the sea...Colonies of monkeys on other islands and the mainland troop of monkeys at Takasakiyama began washing their sweet potatoes.

Thus, when a certain critical number achieves an awareness, this new awareness may be communicated from mind to mind.

Although the exact number may vary, this Hundredth Monkey Phenomenon means that when only a limited number of people know of a new way, it may remain the conscious property of these people.

But there is a point at which if only one more person tunes-in to a new awareness, a field is strengthened so that this awareness is picked up by almost everyone!

www.wowzone.com...

What if this works both ways with everything??

Just a gut thought and if this is true, we should be very worried.

edit on 22-5-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

www.wowzone.com...

What if this works both ways with everything??

Just a gut thought and if this is true, we should be very worried.

yes, we should. very nice post by the way. Star for you

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I think we live in a computer program made by God and the feats you are referring to are limited to your faith in the ability to do them.

Jesus walking on water and Buddhist preforming feats with chi energy both require faith.

Matthew 17:20

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Morpheus from the Matrix

Some of their rules can be bent, Others can be broken.

So I say, try working on your faith.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I think people even today had a tendency to be a bit dramatic in their description of events or abilities...I see no proof to support some of the stuff you mentioned..I find it physically impossible for a human to just levitate..I guess if you do have some of those abilities would it be really considered magic or something that we all have in us that is not tapped.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

If you read further down the wife states the following

"After our book was printed, there was some question about whether the study was authentic. Ken presented the story as a legend, or phenomenon; the concepts of morphogenetic fields and critical mass are very true and the story serves to illustrate them.

Hope that answers your question."

So the person who wrote the book was actually discussing someone else's observation..has this phenomenom ever been demonstrated elsewhere? I want to believe this but there is not evidence to support this..but maybe you are aware of some current research

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

I had did a quick search on it and I posted the first link I found.

My post did say my mind says this and my gut says this etc.

Wikipedia has an article on it all though that should shed further light...

In 1985, Elaine Myers re-examined the original published research in “The Hundredth Monkey Revisited” in the journal In Context. In her review she found that the original research reports by the Japan Monkey Center in Vol. 2, 5, and 6 of the journal Primates are insufficient to support Watson’s story. In short, she is suspicious of the existence of a hundredth monkey phenomenon; the published articles describe how the sweet potato washing behavior gradually spread through the monkey troupe and became part of the set of learned behaviors of young monkeys, but she doesn’t agree that it can serve as an evidence for the existence of a critical number at which the idea suddenly spread to other islands.

However, the story as told by Watson and Keyes is popular among New Age authors and personal growth gurus and has become an urban legend and part of New Age mythology. Also, Rupert Sheldrake has cited that a phenomenon like the hundredth monkey effect would be an evidence of Morphic fields bringing about non-local effects in consciousness and learning. As a result, the story has also become a favorite target of the Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal and was used as the title essay in The Hundredth Monkey: And Other Paradigms of the Paranormal published by them in 1990.

In his book Why People Believe Weird Things, Michael Shermer explains how the urban legend started, was popularised, and has been discredited.

en.wikipedia.org...

I personally believe this though, from what I have lived in life although I am not going to lie and say it is fact.

I do not think this type of thing can be proven as an exact science because of the variables involved.

Not sure about other research, I doubt there will be because of the reasons just above.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGrandWarlock
perhaps only from my perspective, but it seems like magic is really restrained.
why do you think that is?

it feels like there's something blocking the flow or a connection/link is missing..has the really powerful magic been forgotten, is it a lost art now?

im talking about the magic that lets you fly, control the elements, teleport, shapeshift, ressurect the dead, etc.

what happened to it?

or am i just crazy and it never existed in the first place?
i mean there must be a reason why theres so much magic in fantasy..is magic just a made-up concept or was magic real then put into fantasy books by TPTB so that we would think it wasnt real? CONSPIRACY!

no but seriously, i am completely stumped
edit on 22-5-2012 by TheGrandWarlock because: (no reason given)

Magick, in its most simple definition, is having your will change the outcome of reality. There is little proof beyond anecdotal tales that many of the things you are asking about were ever achieved by masters of the craft.

My magick is spiritual as is most modern "real" magick. If there were super ultra-powerful mage ninjas that actually existed (like Moses), there is actually an evolutionary explanation for its demise.

Think about all of the physical an mental changes humanity has gone through to adapt and survive. Our pinky toes are smaller because of footwear, our senses are dulled because of a lack of need, our logic and reasoning capabilities are increased, and various other changes. It's not that far fetched to think there are some other things that have changed that we are not even aware of being a part of our evolutionary history.

So as far as modern man having an ability to push magick to those limits, it's not something that is accepted nor should be accepted as feasible. However, as some others on hear have mentioned, there are relationships you can build with the not-so-corporeal denizens of the other side that can give you interesting results.

Personally, I'm happy with my subtle rituals and more "casual" relationships with the other side. I have no wish to do something I may regret later as not all of your regrets are realized while you are still living in your current body.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Could be something like Edgar Casey was talking about. The collect consciousness thing. Could also explain pyramids all over the world and how people attribute knowledge to something greater than themselves.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I guess somebody has to be the party pooper and say it.
That kind of magic doesn't exist.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Personally, I do not believe in magic. I believe in magic insofar as it is a very clever and entertaining art performed by talented performers in situations manifold.

You have street magic, professional magic, stage magic, card tricks magic, etc. etc.

But as a supernatural art, as in like summoning or black magic, or other magics, eh, I am personally a skeptic, although I am really open to other people's opinions on the matter. I personally side with James Randi though.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

Study what? Books, meditation, ancient lore?
Ask who for help? Librarians of dusty libraries most aren't privy to? Initiates or Grand Masters?
I have seen many who claim to have powers, but when push comes to shove they don't.

Where does one go about finding the beginning of a path?

I would really like magic to be real, from what I've read and what I feel it is an extension of physics.
That is to say you invest energy and you get a result.

I know I expect a high burden of proof as I am a man of science, but that shouldn't limit my ability to see what's out there.
If anything I think having a scientific mind would make working magic easier if I could acquire the skills.
Say I wanted to freeze water, I know that I would have to remove 4.184 Joules of energy per gram of water to cause a 1 degree drop in the temperature.
From that I know I would need to create a magical working to displace that energy into either the environment or someplace else.
There are other examples but you get the point, I think magic while a mystery can also be highly analytical.
Have a goal, find a path to that goal.

I would love to be able to work magic and have a direct tangible result.
I just need to know where to start.

Not to mention if I could get just that start, the needed spark to kindle the fire I could put it into scientific terms that non believers would understand.
I could work on a fundamental theory of magic and how it interacts with the physical plain.

I just need to know where to start.
So where do I start?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

i hate studying :L
i guess thats one of my many flaws...i dont know what you mean tbh, are you saying i should make a contract with a being, pray, get high? what

Ah there is the rub.
I think magic if real would require hard work, both to learn and to practice.
It's not a something for nothing, there would be a form of equivalent trade going on.
Time in= results, energy invested in a spell or working=results.

Magic shouldn't be seen as a get something for nothing.
If that were the case it would have no value.

Anything worked for automatically increases the value of it.

Personally I wouldn't want to just read a book or incantation and poof I have powers.
It would eventually become meaningless.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

perhaps only from my perspective, but it seems like magic is really restrained.
why do you think that is?

it feels like there's something blocking the flow or a connection/link is missing..has the really powerful magic been forgotten, is it a lost art now?

im talking about the magic that lets you fly, control the elements, teleport, shapeshift, ressurect the dead, etc.

what happened to it?

or am i just crazy and it never existed in the first place?

Magic exists, and propels the movement of the universe at all times in all places. Potent consciousness being the meaning of "magic" here.

Wielded magic is weak nowadays because we are past the time in the development of humanity wherein it would serve a beneficial purpose to indulge giant egos into thinking that they had caused some fireball to erupt or a lightning bolt to strike. It's now time to return to sanity, to recognition of Unity. Wielding magic reinforces the delusion of duality/multiplicity. The pendulum of humanity's journey is on the homeward swing.

We live in a clockwork universe, and shield ourselves from that knowledge so as to have the experience of "free will", which is a delusion, just as Evil is a delusion. But Magic, itself, is as powerful as it ever was. Nothing exists without it. Everything that exists is sustained by it.

i mean there must be a reason why theres so much magic in fantasy..is magic just a made-up concept or was magic real then put into fantasy books by TPTB so that we would think it wasnt real? CONSPIRACY!

I hope I made that clear. Magic is, was, and always will be the nurturing force of existence. The notion that we individuated ego-selves in our little meat-puppet bodies can actually wield said force is obsolete, except in special cases where you have stubbornly sleepy "souls" who are resisting the wake-up call.

no but seriously, i am completely stumped
edit on 22-5-2012 by TheGrandWarlock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Nothing is limited, but in our world time is finite, where as in the universe it's infinite. Everything is possible, and Magic is very real, how ever not everyone can perform great feats of magick, there is a reason a wizard or witch is always portrayed as an elderly man. Merlin was said to be well beyond the age of a normal man, and with that all the wiser. Magic, is not obtained or learned it is practice, with great practice comes great results. I suggest you change your way of thinking how ever, or these things will never become available to you. It all starts with your mind, and you have many years of your life to undue before you can even begin.

Remember this

came from this

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join