It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

addictions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
just wondering something for those of you with addictions...

how do you plan on maintaining your addictions once TSHTF?

i mean...growing your own tobacco for smoking ain't as simple as some might think and that's if you actually have the seeds.

do you really want to deal with withdrawals when TSHTF? wouldn't the time to adapt be BEFORE hand? i don't do nicotine, quit years ago so it's not really an issue to me but i remember the withdrawals.

me personally, i wouldn't' want to be around any life-long smokers or dippers when TSHTF...they will be a raging prick!

but seriously, if you're planning for the bottom to fall out, shouldn't you withdrawal now, in a controlled environment so that the drive to eat your young won't be magnified by your nic-fits once everything has gone to poop!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Wow, I had never thought of this... A LOT of people will be in crazy town because of this.

Stay clear of twitching survivors

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

mhm...everyone says stock up on cigarettes, it'll be like gold. this is true but only fur so long. once the supply runs out, there won't be anymore. most people might be able to hold their smoking up for a week or 2 but after that, all hell will break loose.

caffeine withdrawals are gonna be a nightmare for some, too...

and let's not even get into all the alcoholics who will die...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Just think of what a valuable bartering item cigarettes (and alcohol) will be.

I think the distraction of the SHTF would actually be the only way alot of people could actually quit. Major chaos and to keep the mind busy thinking of survival rather sitting on your rear lighting up another one.

I do smoke by the way. And I've thought the same thing you have mentioned in the OP, But when shtf, cigarettes and alcohol will be the last thing I'm gonna be thinking about. Maybe some won't think this way though,

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Good question. Very good indeed. But withdrawal is withdrawal, environment does not really matter at that time.
But it cuts both ways. Those with the ability to produce alcohol, or ferment tobacco will have a great advantage.
I plan on cultivating tobacco in case of SHTF. I know how to ferment, and I know how to distill alcohol. A talent like this will be much needed in these situations.
Almost anyone can hunt or cultivate food, but those who still work with these, will be of golden value.
You know: 'Those who rely on other people's vices, rarely fail.' or something like that.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
i know a guy who buys bulk bags of tabaco and does not even smoke just for batrter

alcohol not to hard to brew your own stuff take a good minth or two thou maybee two weeks but you need sugar yeast and grains and clean water

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Well I'm actually 'addicted' to pharmaceutical antidepressants and pain medications, although dependent would be a more accurate term. I'm now down to a lower dose pain killer so that should not be too hard to stop, the real problem is suddenly stopping an antidepressant.

If I still haven't weened myself off of them by then I plan to be raid the local pharmacies (which there are many). I will have plenty of competition though so it won't be easy. Most likely the hard opiates will already be gone but im hoping the antidepressant is still there, and maybe some loperamide to help me through opiate withdrawals (works on more than just the runs you know!).

While I'm there I will stock up to the max on first aid stuff, especially the stuff I can't buy now like antibiotics.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I take Morphine on a daily basis for failed spinal surgery and I guess I'm
addicted to the drug.
I'm facing the prospect of a withdrawal period where I'll be unable to function for a week or two but I'll get over it for the sake of my kids.

Most older people in my family smoke and drink so they'll no doubt have to find other ways to de-stress.
It's the people on prescribed medications with addictive side effects I feel for.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I think alot of it will have to do with the mind anyway. Just like pain... you can "talk" to yourself and make pain lessen and ease up a bit. I think addiction is is the same, unless maybe in the cases that the withdrawls are so bad you have seizures or something serious such as that.

But you have to have the mental ability to overcome, which so many do not have.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofhearts

yeah...those that need meds to survive will be the ones who suffer first. everyone who depends on regular medical attention to live will die. all the addicts will have to sober up or die.

addictions...nothing more than physical manifestations of our own stubbornness and inability to change and grow...

but seriously...i would withdrawal from everything i could now so that one it does hit the fan, you'll be ready.

i bought a tent for my dog and i to sleep outside in some nights. i basically thought about everything that will be taken away from me one TSHTF and i've started slowly taking it away from myself now. (internet included...i spend most days free time by blankly staring into space, just thinking...no web, no tv, no phone...just me and my head)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Some good thoughts Ice....I for one am a smoker, and you are correct, I believe, that tobacco will probably be a huge tradeable commodity.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Really good point. I've actually thought about this a few times. It kinda reminds me of those 'preppers' that weigh 400lbs. Great, you've got a ton of crap and couldn't walk a mile. Like the obese 'tactical' dudes at the gun range. High speed low drag except for the giant gut.

And here is the part where I admit that the nicotine and alcohol withdrawals would turn me into a murderous savage within two days. Actually only worried about the nicotine. I get a little nasty if I don't smoke for a day. OP you just gave me another nudge towards quitting.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

I simply stuff my own cigarettes, I have enough tubes for a years worth of smokes for the wife and I.
I buy my tobacco bulk and growing my own would not be such a stretch, I do plan on doing this next year.
Plus if production stops, the vacuum will be filled as it always has since the dawn of man.
There will always be smokes, alcohol, drugs, Etc. as long as there is demand.
That's a fact!

(Edit)
I would roughly need to grow 50 Lbs. of dried tobacco for a year, pretty easy actually.
Considering spoilage doesn't happen unless you really screw up.
No tubes? Make cigarillos like the old times!
edit on 22-5-2012 by g146541 because: Never quit, never say die!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
What you speak of is the difference between the strong and the weak; the fortunate and the less than prepared.

Mr. Heathy, awesome personality, might just as well have a disfunction when it comes to staying out of harms way and could very easily fall victim to his own ignorance outside of the world that is set for him. Is he an addict of Societal whim or guidance? Probably! Most likely he will find himself withdrawing from that loss just as easily.

Tobacco is easy to grow and the seeds are readily available to anyone, they have a long shelf life and the seedlings, although minute at first, are the type that take well to numerous replantings and will not even fuss if the plant is pulled directly out of the soil and roots exposed (not many plants are so forgiving on transplanting).

The plant is quite drought hardy and if there are any immature plants once winter comes they can be moved indoors and potted (without fuss). However, more importantly, under milder winters (perhaps zone 8 and above) the roots will not die, with a covering of mulch a second or third season of regrowth can occur.

Curing is easy but fermenting can be tricky, best to ferment in sealed vats or containers where the control of mold can be handled if flavorings and sugars are used. Nothing is worse than sugars and moisture over heat! (personally I used an old refrigerator and reversed the fan so that I could get airflow and keep my moisture levels from getting too much/high) Sorry for the pun!

Overall, what a terrific, non-fuss plant that even looks fabulous as an ornamental in the garden. I have always enjoyed growing tobacco they are so wonderful looking!

Most of the serious problems with smoking are a result of the enhancement measures used in industrial manufacturing. Seriously, if you want to smoke and live to be 100, home-grown and natural is the way to go. Cancer? Yeah, got cancer at 92 and your doctor tells you best quit smoking! LOL
Seriously, I am not laughing at those who did get cancer, I respect anyone who believes it is a death-sentence even if that is not true. In most cases with cancer there are far too many factors to a person's life to predetermine anything these days! Considering Fukishima I doubt smoking will be such a fearful thing when it finally plumes over us all, sad to say that too!

Smokers are less likely to promote fungus growth on things they touch, like food products, because of the nicotine residue on their hands; of course washing hands is appropriate before food handling but we know how we are. I have often had a smoker touch the soil of a fresh seed planting in order to prevent seedling death called "dampening off"; quite a common thing when growing seedlings (veggies or flowers) in an indoor window or cold-frame.

Here is an interesting wiki page speaking in terms of the "Smokers Paradox"; the part about schizophrenia was a surprise to me; seems that anything on the level of helping those that are on anti-psychotic medication might find this helpful in the "end times" scenarios.

Health Benefits of Smoking

If you do grow Tobacco and are a non-smoker (like me) the juice can be used with distilled water as a natural systemic pesticide on plants not intended for immediate consumption. The dried crushed leaves, taken to powder can be used as a topical pesticide as well.

On a thread long ago smoking came up and it was asked what would they do in the event of the "Apocalypse" and I laughed so hard because I was like, "it's the Apocalypse, everyone gets to smoke in Hell"; oh the irony!

I might consider accepting SASE if anyone would like some Virginia Gold seeds to add to their bug-out bags. Send me a message and I will send you a P.O. Box address to send that. I will let you know based on your location because I don't think I can ship to other countries. However, I do know it is perfectly legal to send seeds here in the US to private gardeners. (added that for those who are suddenly urged to scream) If the FBI says otherwise they can look me up!
edit on 5/22/2012 by Greensage because: spelling error

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
somewhat north of twenty percent of the US are on antidepressants
like the ones the shooters at Columbine were on

then you have your meth and crack heds
perfect shock troops.....

will kill for food

say, is that moisture on your skin?

Sorry Bub, you were breathing my air

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
this is a funny one,.Really,, maintain your addiction?

well if simply staying alive isnt your first priority
then it wont matter anyway..

My sisters mother-in-law is a pain killer addict,.
if she cant get her supply,.. the detox will kill her( not exactly a bad thing)
edit on 22-5-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
I think alot of it will have to do with the mind anyway. Just like pain... you can "talk" to yourself and make pain lessen and ease up a bit. I think addiction is is the same, unless maybe in the cases that the withdrawls are so bad you have seizures or something serious such as that.

But you have to have the mental ability to overcome, which so many do not have.

It's easier said than done. Especially if you're physically addicted. Your body needs it so it's not all in your head. Granted, your head can help you get over it but a physical addiction can be very bad. Btw, physical addictions (which happens with more things than I think you are aware of) can result in seizures, drop or rise in blood pressure and numerous other things. Soo, in essence, it's actually more than a "mind over matter" thing.
Food for thought.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
tobacco replacements?

Kinnikinnik...bearberry
green.kingcounty.gov...
or red osier dogwood
www.mpm.edu...

new topics

top topics