It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Loses $22,000 In New 'Policing For Profit' Case

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Originally posted by boncho
The fellow did get his money back:

After Reby filed an appeal, and after NewsChannel 5 began investigating, the state agreed to return his money -- if he'd sign a statement waiving his constitutional rights and promising not to sue.

He only had to sign away his rights...

I would be taking the department's right to life away before I'd sign my rights away. They could keep the 20 grand but they would soon regret it.
edit on 23-5-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

Exactly!! I would make them sorry they ever had the bright idea to extort innocent citizens like this. Sure keep my $20k for now, but I will come back for it and you will owe me interest. Walk out with a million...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This is a shame. I drove through Tennessee a few years back and lost a bolt off of my brake caliper, this guy who had a tow truck stopped and offered me lunch while found a spare bolt to fix my car. They were the kindest people and told me to "just tell everyone that people from Tennessee ain't that bad".

The people are great, but apparently the police in Tennessee are in need of a little lesson in ethics.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I used to believe they were on my side.
Do not fall into that way of thinking.
They see us as the enemy, we are someone they havent had to deal with yet.

Could we sue the banks for giving us drug tainted money?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
What a great post and a wake-up call ! I don't think the police need this type of thing to go down on them.
Just like tickets, you would think once in a while the (police) would just give warnings especially if it was in a safer type situation. But desperate times require desperate measures sadly! I can't think of any reason why that money should of been taken away. Unbelievable !

This is a video that I never would of thought happen in the US, you hear of it in undeveloped countries were the police will stop you and ask for money so they will not give you and ticket then pocket it. But in the U.S. Wow!

It seems as I get older things are being blown out of proportion on a larger scale.
The FEW are getting (fatter) = wealthier. The powerful are getting more corrupt. But I am still glad I am not in a country that have their women in burkas

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Not committing a crime and has proof of where he got his own money. Yet they still take it from him because the average citizen doesnt carry that kind of cash. What kind of Mickey Mouse B.S. is that? Looks to me like blatant theft by law enforcement. The average citizen doesnt know they can fight this, and the cops were hoping he was one of the clueless.
The 4th amendment protects us from warrant-less search and seizure. Had this man simply replied" I dont consent to any searches" this could of all been avoided.
And who in the hell are they to determine how much cash anyone can carry? Maybe I dont trust banks and like to keep large amounts of cash handy for purchases or even gambling.That is none of law enforcement's business.
This is just another step in the push for a cashless society, plain and simple.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nfflhome
I used to believe they were on my side.
Do not fall into that way of thinking.
They see us as the enemy, we are someone they havent had to deal with yet.

Could we sue the banks for giving us drug tainted money?

My eyes were opened to cop behavior 30 years ago. While in junior high school, my friends and I were often on the receiving end of the cops' bullying. We were children. The cop cars had a big "Servants of the People" sign on the doors. Our slogan for them was: "Serpents, They're Not People".

The job itself attracts the worst kind of miscreant...the kind who is somehow psychologically wired to pull it off, sometimes perfectly. Devious, manipulative and sadistic.
Just like the pedophile who becomes the camp counselor, the sociopath becomes the cop.
The person who should be trusted with the safety of the innocents is the one who preys on them.

The cop in the OP is the absolute textbook example of the 'guilty till proven innocent' mentality of these soulless ghouls.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
reply to post by Britguy

Statistically speaking, doesn't over 90% of US currency in circulation have traces of coc aine or other drugs on it? This smells like a rat.

Yes, and the traces of coc aine are from the drugs that the FEDS are bringing in. Crooked crooked police state

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Let's be honest about what a cop's job is:

It's the potential for death, every single day. Paramedics, Firemen, Cops all respond to the same threats, daily. The thing is that you cannot pay someone enough to get shot at. Sorry, the amount of danger that being in these lines of work generates is maybe worth working for a 1Mil salary--or maybe a 100K. The problem is that these jobs are public service jobs, not private corporations, so it's financially irresponsible to pay the job what it is worth.

When you can't pay someone what the job is worth, they have to find other perks to make DEATH worth their time.

Many wind up doing it because they like serving others. So yes, there's good cops out there. Another compensation that being a policeman can bring is power to subjugate humanity. That's pretty seductive. It calls megalomaniacs to become cops.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is the perfect law to protect the banks isn't it? If ever there were a bank run, I'm sure there would be a policeman confiscating (till proven innocent) the money of bank clients. Hay its not like they even need to pass any emergency powers -they already have them. So America isn't really a democracy is it? Everywhere you look there's holes be it not being able to buy proper organic food, elect a republican candidate democratically, or much else besides.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Just another reason for the war against drugs

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This is all about the war on drugs. Seizures have been going on for sometime now. Seems LE has stumbled upon a great cash cow. Spoils of war and all that rot invite creativity on the part of LE. They're having fun with their shiny new laws.

BTW "the war on drugs" is just one of many wars declared on the American people. The war on the American worker comes to mind. Union organizers/workers were routinely brutalized by LE back in the day.

We can't forget our history. We're becoming apathetic believing things like this simply can't happen today.

Now we've got "the war on terror" we all see how that's going. What's next? The war on fat people how about the war on smokers, drinkers. Be assured there's another one on the horizon. The TPTB will always come out ahead and the rest of us, along with our rights, are just collateral damage.

Like I've always said it's an upside down world and I can't seem to get far enough away.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I wonder what happens when they pull over a brinks truck?

-Mus

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sagittarian69
reply to post by spacedonk

As an ex-LEO from Tennessee I can tell you I saw this kind of thing happen at least once to my direct knowledge. Now there may have been other circumstances involved as I was not the arresting officer.

A vehicle was pulled over on the interstate...speeding was the excuse. In the car they found 100,000 dollars in cash wrapped in plastic. They were brought in for questioning and interrogated. I was there during. Neither individual was arrested but, their money was confiscated. Afterwards they were released.

The problem in this case was that both people told different stories as to what the money was meant for. They never came back to claim said funds even though they were told they could.

We must take into consideration the fact that most people do not regularly run around with large sums of cash in their possession. It is suspicious. I do not care what you tell me. I do not care what you can show me on the internet. This is one way that drugs (even guns) are bought. Cash.

Is what happened right? After the fact I say no. I bet the officer says the same thing, probably with the attitude better safe than sorry.

In a situation like this I always like to look NOT at the event but, what caused an event like this to even be able to occur. It falls back to us and our responsibility as citizens. If we do not like laws that allow this kind of thing then why are we sitting around allowing it?

who's sitting around and allowing it?...what the hell are you suppose to do when lawsuits are filed, and right-wing law&order judges don't give a crap about your rights, and rule against you. why aren't all these constitutional flag-waving, communist-hating, freedom-loving, republicans changing these laws???????.....there are now 31 republican governors currently in office, out of the 50 states, why aren't all the conservatives protesting and marching on statehouses to get these communist laws changed.........what's next? confiscate a persons BMW, because he can't show he makes enough money to have one?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Sounds similar to the paypal scam, take money, release it after 'X' amount of months, collect interest!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I just don't get it. Why is so much power handed out to the police? It's not a damn war zone, it's a "free country" right? Why does the police have so much authority in a democracy?

And this is common all over the world not just in the US. We face the same crap in my country, only worse.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Most are quite comfortable with violating our constitutional rights because after all "as long as you're doing nothing wrong you have nothing to fear."

Seems like carrying cash is now a wrong thing. What I fear is the list of wrong stuff getting longer.

I'm beginning to think we all need some kind of list of ordinary activities that could be considered wrong cause it's all getting a little blurry and vague. Think I'll just stay in the woods.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Well said. It's certainly scary. Neo communist/fascist policies are the order of the day it seems.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I didn't read every comment in the thread, but why would you have $22,000 in cash on your person? If it wasn't for drugs, why would someone carry that much money on them? Everybody uses credit or debit cards now a days. Many many people don't even carry any cash at all on them any more. I'm all for real money vs a credit card....but it seems like way too much money to have on your person at the time.

George Reby said that he told Monterey officers that "I had active bids on EBay, that I was trying to buy a vehicle. They just didn't want to hear it." ~~Aren't you required to go through Ebay when purchasing an item?

edit on 23-5-2012 by Sunglower because: adding quote and opinion

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunglower

Apparently he was trying to buy a car. Since he was out of state, he wasn't sure if they would take personal checks. So he had cash.

Not necessarily the wisest thing to do but it was not illegal. The man had every right to be cruising around with it if that is what he wanted.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

Man Loses $22,000 In New 'Policing For Profit' Case

www.newschannel5.com

MONTEREY, Tenn. -- "If somebody told me this happened to them, I absolutely would not believe this could happen in America."

That was the reaction of a New Jersey man who found out just how risky it can be to carry cash through Tennessee.

For more than a year, NewsChannel 5 Investigates has been shining a light on a practice that some call "policing for profit."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Shows the level of corruption in America.

I'm amazed at the naivete of the man. I would not carry so much money. If I had to hand-carry it, I will not show it to anyone, not even cops. That amount of money is too big to show to anyone, especially a cop from Tennessee.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join