It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Loses $22,000 In New 'Policing For Profit' Case

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
have told a friend about the police being able to do this stuff but i get the "your an idiot" attitude.

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Duly noted... I'm never going to Tennessee.
I'd actually like a ride off this insane asylum if there's any UFO's departing from here soon.

i have been thinking this for quite a while. i want off this rock too.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
There was a guy I remember who decided to visit Phoenix on his way to the east coast flying from California. The airport in Phoenix found out he had about $200000 in cash on him. He claimed he got it from gambling and savings. They confiscated all of it and sent him to jail with charges. They had nothing on him except that he was carrying a large amount of cash. If they find you with a ton of cash they will find any obscure law to charge you with just to get it.

Beware carrying money anywhere..........

Interesting links:
TSA blog link - Traveling with large amounts of cash
blog.tsa.gov...

They can seize it as easy as this BS www.asctk9.org...:

A) United States v $215,300 U.S. Currency (882 F. 2d 417 (1989) Ninth Circuit In a civil forfeiture action, there was probable cause to believe $215,300 of an airline passenger was involved in narcotics trafficking, due to these indicators: • carrying large sum of cash; • canine alert for presence of narcotics on the currency; • passenger’s attempts to avoid detection; • passenger’s ticket was issued by travel agency known to have issued tickets for other travelers who had narcotics related currency; • passenger’s nervousness; • and passenger was bound for well-known center of illegal drug activity.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Disability money and income tax money (if youre on disability it means you did not work); all of which came out of the pockets of the government. The way I see it, they were just taking their money back to keep a drug dealer in jail.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

In this latest case, a Monterey police officer took $22,000 off the driver -- even though he had committed no crime.

"...he said, 'Do you mind if I search your vehicle?' I said, 'No, I don't mind.' I certainly didn't feel I was doing anything wrong. It was my money."

www.newschannel5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

To those of you who dismiss the "fascist police" threads and claim that if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about: take note.

This is exactly why we need to be concerned with 4th Amendment violations.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
If only he just said that he had no money........ I wonder if he said "yeah i got $50" Would the policeman confiscate that too. lol What a joke.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
'Do you mind if I search your vehicle?' I said, 'No, I don't mind.' I certainly didn't feel I was doing anything wrong. It was my money."

I have drilled it into my children that you cooperate only as far as the law requires. Never tell a cop to "go ahead and search my car." Never agree to anything and do not talk to them beyond giving them required information. Let the lawyers do the rest. You just can't trust the cops these days. The primary mission is not to serve and protect anymore. Well maybe serve.. Just serve themselves!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

And people are still screaming on here daily that we don't live in a police state?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
The fellow did get his money back:

After Reby filed an appeal, and after NewsChannel 5 began investigating, the state agreed to return his money -- if he'd sign a statement waiving his constitutional rights and promising not to sue.

He only had to sign away his rights...

I would be taking the department's right to life away before I'd sign my rights away. They could keep the 20 grand but they would soon regret it.
edit on 23-5-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamike
reply to post by Britguy

Disability money and income tax money (if youre on disability it means you did not work); all of which came out of the pockets of the government. The way I see it, they were just taking their money back to keep a drug dealer in jail.

You do know where the money the government pays to disabled people comes from, don't you? Most of them paid into the fund with every pay check they ever earned (just like the rest of us). The others were never able to work because they were born disabled or became disabled in childhood.

There's nothing wrong with collecting disability if you are genuinely disabled and especially if you paid into the system. Most people could have bought private disability insurance with a much larger pay out for the same amount of money they paid into the government.

I think you're confusing "welfare" with "SSI". Plus, most drug dealers don't collect disability though I've heard of some collecting welfare, foodstamps and section 8 housing. You're comparing apples to oranges, however.

Also, do you have any clue how difficult it is to qualify for disability in this country? Most applications are automatically turned down requiring a lawyer to file an appeal and thanks to the pro insurance judges elected and appointed over the last decade the ERSA laws have been re-written to where it's almost impossible to qualify for permanent disability on private disability insurance.

You want to complain about people freeloading off the government, look at the billions of dollars the government is paying in disability benefits so the insurance companies can get out of paying for the polices they collected money for. Even "if" someone qualifies for private disability insurance they can legally force them to collect government SSI and even subtract what SSI pays from their payments. Talk about welfare for corporations.....

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Someone needs to bring a class action suit here. A big thank you to channel 5 for outing this horrible nazi style practice in Tennessee. MSM did a great job.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Moral of the story... Just do what you are always supposed to do when cops ask questions. Deny! Deny! Deny!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Time to boycott Tennessee, or any other state that allows such indiscriminate forfeiture.

This whole business of taking without probably laying charges is totalitarian mumbo jumbo. It must be stopped or it will escalate. First it will be cash, then it will be your bank account. Then it will be your 401k or other investment for retirement.

We are not slaves, the government should be working for and not against us. I'm 65 and glad my life is nearing its end. This is not the world I grew up in. There was a time I respected the police and the legal system. Certainly there were problems, there always will be, but this is abuse, plain and simple.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by circlemaker
Normally we tell the cops when someone steals from us so they can go lock them up and get our money back. Who do we tell when the cops steal from us?

We don't tell anyone. We give them a bullet to the head, execution style.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I have been aware of this and I do carry cash as an emergency measure through that state. As I just gather it hear and there from my accounts or small sales, I have no proof of where it came from. What I do is just boycott the state, I do not buy gas there, eat there nor take a motel in the state. Somewhat like boycotting BP gas stations, I will do this for the remainder of my life. I would suggest others do the same, when something is wrong, never forget and do the little things you can.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

This happens many times everyday.At a bear mininum the police should not be alowed to keep the money.It should go to education not boys toys.These laws are illegal in my opinion.But you have to spend more money in lawyers than the cash is worth.Bottom line do not answer police questions only name and address (they are no longer here to protect and serve) don't give any premission to search they are bound by the supreme court to be able to detain you for only 15 mins to get a dog on the scene.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Oops.

Do you mind if I search your vehicle?' I said, 'No, I don't mind

It seems as if the poor stooge just dropped his trousers.
Never surrender your rights.
It would seem there is more to this story that we do not know.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I like the part "the safest place to have cash is in the bank earning int" what a dumb ass. Not these days. .01 pct int and possible bank closing because they're so fd up. I would have also asked that cop what kind of drugs he has done in the past. Looking at his tat on his neck. I would counter with his remark of "most upstanding citizens dont put tats on their neck because it makes you look like an outlaw who is up to no good!!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sd211212

let me add he looks like a neo nazi skinhead. Take that cop suit off and there you go. Just another thug on the street!!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

He said that, while police are required to get a judge to sign off on a seizure within five days, state law says that hearing "shall be ex parte" -- meaning only the officer's side can be heard. That's why George Reby was never told that there was a hearing on his case. "It wouldn't have mattered because the judge would have said, 'This says it shall be ex parte. Sit down and shut up. I'm not to hear from you -- by statute," Miles added.

Aside from the obvious factors in this whole situation, I really really do not understand the above... How has the land of the free been transformed to the home of the oppressed??!! You cannot defend yourself, and the judge will only hear the officer's side during an actual hearing??!! Absolute madness!!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I said awhile back, Law Enforcement is out of hand"nation wide". This actually happened to my brother when he moved to Tenn. He picked up money at a Western Union, sent from my sister who lived in N.Y. at the time.

He was un-lucky enough to hit a license check on his route. He says because he had N.C. tags they culled him off to the side and went through the whole "can we search your car routine" . They found I think it was about $2,500 dollars in an evelope with receit, that was less than an hour old.

I think he was about three miles away from the place he got the money!! Any way, they took his money and said it could be used to facilitate the purchase of illegal drugs!!!! It took him all most two years to get his money back!
Law enforcemment nation wide is nothing but "revenue generators" for the county in which they have jurisdiction.

Tennesee is a back ward arse state, so is N.C, but Tenn, is taking the cake. We as a nation need to reform the drug laws. they are folks in prison right now, for the rest of their lives because they had about as much marijuana in their pockets, as you have lint in yours. They can take all you own, seize your bank account, all based on the current drug laws. And can obviously take your money based on an assumption of guilt, as in WE ALL ARE BEING TREATED LIKE CRIMINALS IN THE EYES OF LAW ENFORCEMENT NATION WIDE. IMHO This is a purpose driven tact. WE ARE THE BAD GUYS. LAW ENFORCEMENT IS THE GOOD GUYS. NO matter what the situation.
edit on 23-5-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join