It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Loses $22,000 In New 'Policing For Profit' Case

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
Yeah, telling the officer that he had the cash was a HUGE mistake.
Never, ever tell anyone that you are carrying a large amount of cash.
I have read before about Tenn. police taking cash from people in much smaller amounts. Like whatever they had in their wallets.
This is just another crime that has been spawned by our ridiculous drug laws.

God, at least the Mexican Police were honest during their shakedowns. They would flat out say, youre under arrest (trumped up charges of course) To go free, pay us each 100.00, there were 3 of them...
Damn, they even drove me to the ATM

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
reply to post by Britguy

Statistically speaking, doesn't over 90% of US currency in circulation have traces of coc aine or other drugs on it? This smells like a rat.

It certainly does, which is why the police seem to have been demanding bail money be paid in cash. They know this fact and use it as an excuse to seize it. Being the police, they don't have to prove that the person handling the cash is involved in drugs or that the money is proceeds from drug activity. It's a big win for the police and shows an incredible amount of dishonesty on their part, but who is going to stop them?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Why bother driving all the way to Mexico when you can experience all it has to offer right here at home?

It just gets worse from here folks. Just keep voting that two party system and enjoy the ride.....

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
It is time for vigilantes to appear again.. Nothing will ever change unless the people that do these injustices are dealt with in stone cold fashion..

(hypothetically speaking, of course).

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

This has been going on for decades and millions have been confiscated. Just google drug asset forfeiture and seizure laws.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

As an ex-LEO from Tennessee I can tell you I saw this kind of thing happen at least once to my direct knowledge. Now there may have been other circumstances involved as I was not the arresting officer.

A vehicle was pulled over on the interstate...speeding was the excuse. In the car they found 100,000 dollars in cash wrapped in plastic. They were brought in for questioning and interrogated. I was there during. Neither individual was arrested but, their money was confiscated. Afterwards they were released.

The problem in this case was that both people told different stories as to what the money was meant for. They never came back to claim said funds even though they were told they could.

We must take into consideration the fact that most people do not regularly run around with large sums of cash in their possession. It is suspicious. I do not care what you tell me. I do not care what you can show me on the internet. This is one way that drugs (even guns) are bought. Cash.

Is what happened right? After the fact I say no. I bet the officer says the same thing, probably with the attitude better safe than sorry.

In a situation like this I always like to look NOT at the event but, what caused an event like this to even be able to occur. It falls back to us and our responsibility as citizens. If we do not like laws that allow this kind of thing then why are we sitting around allowing it?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sagittarian69

This is still America, and if I want to keep 100k in my trunk it is my right to do so.

The last person I should have to worry about taking my money is a law enforcement officer. There is no probable cause with cash alone. I trade in collector cars, and nobody wants to take a check for their baby.

I'm going to be avoiding TN from now on, it's not worth the chance.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Let me start off by saying that I am from TN and,actually, not too far from Monterey, where this man apparently had his money stolen. I no longer Live in TN but it is common knowledge in TN that, if you are from out of state, you'd better have all your "T's" crossed and "I's" dotted, because the local police in ANY jurisdiction will make it a point to screw with you. Confiscating money is only the beginning of what they can do. When travelling through or to TN, DO NOT SPEED!! DO NOT VIOLATE ANY VEHICULAR LAWS IN ANY WAY!!!! Small town police use these type of infractions to look for larger violations and if the officer who pulls you over isn't making his/her quota of tickets that month they will find any excuse to stick it to you. I am really surprised that the man who had his 22k taken wasn't arrested. It would have been a simple matter for the cop to say "I believe this money is drug money and I belive you are on your way to buy drugs or have just sold them." Then take him to jail while they dismantle the vechicle looking for proof. The guy could have easily spent a few days in the county lock up while they fabricated charges on him. I love TN, it is a beautiful state and I am travelling there soon to visit family, but the law and political systems there are full of "good old boy" corruption. Always have been, always will be. This type of thing makes me ashamed to be a tennessean. There are plenty of good, honest people in TN, unfortunatly the way the political systems are there make it impossible for those types of people to ever effect real change. God it kills me when I see a MSM news article and it mentions TN nowadays. seems the only thing my home state is good for anymore is a good laugh or a shake of the head while people ask themselves what the hillbilly's down there are up to now.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Duly noted... I'm never going to Tennessee.
I'd actually like a ride off this insane asylum if there's any UFO's departing from here soon.

You know...I had the exact same thought! And while others might be laughing at the 'insanity' of believing in U.F.O.'s, the rest of normal humanity is watching news stories like the above linked news cast...and thinking "omg, they've invaded and taken over!"

That is some scary stuff, and only individuals who are hardwired to the reptile brain (which is what a sociopath is) are capable of compartmentalizing and justifying that sort of behavior. Hence...

"Reptiles" are ruling the planet of the 'apes'!

Now isn't that insane?
Uh..if you find a 'bus' (UFO) heading out...book me a ticket too!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

One thing that has worked for many carrying large sums of cash in Tennessee is to carry a statement from the bank. It shows and can easily be traced that the money is yours and being used for what you say it is. Not a perfect method but, one that I was told worked.

Yes, this is still America and you should have the right to do that but, it is the citizens that allow this to take place. Most likely because of the fear mongering for the War on Drugs. The vast majority of LEOs that I know simply enforce the laws as they are on the books, no questions asked. If we don't like the law then let us change it. Some LEOs that I know would breathe a sigh of relief if there was less crap to "enforce".

And BTW, the main reason I left law enforcement was due to the mindless enforcement of stupid laws.

edit on 23-5-2012 by Sagittarian69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

You never tell cops they can search your car, whether you have anything to hide or not. It is the mentality that those who haven't broken any laws don't need to worry about it mentality that has let them trash what parts of the COTUS they already have.

If you don't let him search your car and he does anyways and finds something, it is inadmissible in court as evidence. It is therefore not even evidence and they would be required to return it to you.

Jaden

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

You don't have to lie, just twist your perspective when you answer. In your mind you're thinking, not to Bill Gates I don't and answer No, Officer, I don't...

Large is subjective...

Anything subjective depends on your perspective, I would've never answered the question...

Jaden

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Here, the car is an extension of your home. Can carry guns in it without a permit.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

Man Loses $22,000 In New 'Policing For Profit' Case

www.newschannel5.com

MONTEREY, Tenn. -- "If somebody told me this happened to them, I absolutely would not believe this could happen in America."

That was the reaction of a New Jersey man who found out just how risky it can be to carry cash through Tennessee.

For more than a year, NewsChannel 5 Investigates has been shining a light on a practice that some call "policing for profit."
(visit the link for the full news article)

I bet other police departments do the same.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
This is legalized organized crime. Time to fight back on legal criminal laws!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaneThinking
I really hope stories like this start to wake people up, to just how close we are coming to being part of George Orwells novel

haHA! You ask the average person on the street what you are referencing there and they would be clueless. "Who the f# is george orwell" would be the most common response I would think. They literally don't know any better.

The one's who are already awake do notice this, but the rate of which the NWO, cashless society and all the other crap they're trying to implement is faster than the rate of people waking up to the BS.. I'm with many other people when they say they just want someone to come down from the heavens and take us off this god forsaken planet. It's full of idiots that don't want to listen.

This whole story of the guy losing his money for absolutely no reason other than "it is suspicious for the average citizen to have that much cash on hand" is genuine insanity. His reasoning that "Money is safer in the bank" is so far off as well... That's what they want you to think mate... But in reality, as soon as the SHTF and the bank becomes insolvent you will be eating those words.
edit on 23-5-2012 by knightwhosaysnih because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Been thinking about this and realized this is unconstitutional. Why? Look at this.

Article 1 sec. 8 para. 3.
To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

Only Congress has the authority to regulate interstate commerce.

10th Amendment.
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

This guy's rights under the 10 amendment have been violated. Separation of powers. The state is exercising power it doesn't have under the Constitution.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
This is sickening to say the least. Whats the point of having a monetary system if you cannot use it? My personal belief is that its a hidden rule to only carry current society acceptable amount of cash to force the citizens to use the banks which on most occasion has interference from its government. If you carry more money than socially acceptable you will be pre-labeled as a criminal. It would be a sure way to force generate income to the banks who in turn have to pay more taxes to the governments.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This man must not allow this to occur. It has to be stopped. The law is a massive crime if it can even let a small amount be taken from a single mother, a youth, for when even 200 is lifted, it is the difference between rent, hydro, feeding your children, crucial meds, and for children, it could be something their father sent them for their birthday. I know what it means to need small amounts of money.

To even have a system that would do this to anyone means I would fight my way to the very top and that person who blocks justice would have his career destroyed, he would never succeed in doings. If it means rallying people and demanding the corruption end and laws be good, and doing so with bullhorns and absolute intolerance to any corrruption, you never give up.

And this is more, this is a buisness. But if it can happen anyone, it means simply, the people have work to do.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
something similar happened to me when i was 19 me and some friends were cutting throuh a rough neighborhood on foot a cop pulled up to us and had us empty our pockets when he saw i had over three hundred dollars he tried to seize stating it was unlawful to carry large amounts of cash through this high crime area do to city ordinance . i responded i needed to a receipt with his badge number and signature his sear gents badge number and signature and he asked mne why so i would be able to give them to my cousin the towns best lawyer and city council member . i got to keep my money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join