It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOREIGN: War on Terror - Green Initiative

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Witness 9-11 as an horrific example. After the first plane hit something defensive almost instantaneously should have occurred. It did not. The missile shield as planed is based upon the same provably incorrect infrastructure. This infrastructure includes not only the human element but likewise the mechanical elements. We had much prior to 9-11 the physical capability to prevent low flying aircraft from entering any major metropolitan area yet have chosen not to use these devices.

The war on terror seems to be a flaying strap thrashing at any and all real and imagined assailants. As we regress in this war a better approach would be to understand exactly what, no who, we oppose. After we realize that hatred and poverty are the real world progenitors of those seeking to destroy us we will be more able to prevent the suffering brought to us by terrorists.

Instead of destabilizing peoples we disagree with with, instead of manipulating economies to suit our short term goals we would be better served to become what we oft-time proclaim- a good neighbor. Co-development instead of economic colonialism, sharing instead of resource prostitution, cooperation instead of unilateralism.

This is not to say we should not develop preemptive capabilities to their fullest, in a real world we must. Every place on the planet should know we will be a friend or a bitter, victorious and unrelenting opponent. All pretense to the contrary should be removed.

Witness the unilateral sanctions we have implemented against Iran- not only do these sanctions not work they have helped create an atmosphere whereby we have limited our own options. Whether we like the U.N., Europeans or others is not the point. The point is that if we wish to grow in a relatively peaceful world we need to be a leader of what is possible not the provider of what should be shunned.

We have always been a nation of warriors no matter how much we deny this. These swords need to become plowshares, as warriors we need to become assistants. Else we will follow the way of all mighty civilizations that strove to greatness and achieved only much misery and their own demise.

We, as a nation, must decide to lead instead of coerce.

Edit: Formatted title for C2004

[edit on 1-10-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Interesting speech. The thing you said about the Sept 11th attack. It wasn't clear at the time that terrorism was at a large as it is today. Well there is more media coverage anyways. Some people will argue the fact that the whole incident was mearly a cover-up to allow the government to proceed in invading iraq. WHOKNOWS.

Anyways you idea about making the world a more peaceful place is interesting and is an ideal that many men have had for years, centuaries even. However peace is something that will be something that wont happen for many years.

Have you ever heard of the saying "one mans terrorist, is another mans freedom fighter" Tis interesting dont you think. Basically as long as there is man, there will be violence and war. Peace is something that probally wont come until human life either ends or is evolved.

Sorry if what I have said, is not how you were trying to proceive your point.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by racos

Have you ever heard of the saying "one mans terrorist, is another mans freedom fighter"

You are indeed perceptive.

Thank you for the compliments- I do really feel this way. I am sometimes so bewildered by my government I want to cry.

I went through Viet Nam and a few other government 'crusades' before I realized something is bad wrong. Call me s-l-o-w, it took a while.

join