It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the word "Love" didn't exist, what word would you use for it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

If the word "Love" did not exist, how would you say the golden rule, "Love your neighbor as yourself"?

Mark 12:30-31
New International Version (NIV)

30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a]
31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

30 and thou shalt love the Lord thy God out of all thy heart, and out of thy soul, and out of all thine understanding, and out of all thy strength -- this [is] the first command;
31 and the second [is] like [it], this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself; -- greater than these there is no other command.'

Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

30 and you are to love Adonai your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your understanding and with all your strength.’[a]
31 The second is this:
‘You are to love your neighbor as yourself.’
There is no other mitzvah greater than these.”

Adonai (master),

love your master and your neighbor in this sense is telling you to strive with all your effort and intent toward the good of all. Love in this notion is simple common sense. Community survival is personal survival. To "love " here is to do good for all.

Help yourself seems appropriate here. Love your self could also mean take care of yourself. Selfishly it could mean hold your own so we don't have to do it for you. Love could be changed for a sense of social responsibility and community worth.

"Love they neighbor", or be a good neighbor, "as you would yourself", or as a good citizen expects.

Love is a link. We are not alone, we might as well not be disconnected from eachother.

edit on 22-5-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Affection....

or

Mom

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I would instead use a phrase:

Love to me means: something or someone that I hold dear to my heart.

Others words I would use: affection, care, trust, understanding.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
The word "Love" has been destroyed.

I don't think some people's misuse of a word actually destroys it. If that were the case then we would have to come up with a whole new language.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

No, no. That is cheating, unless it is a compound word. It has to be a word that everyone already understands. A word that is not ambiguous like love so that people can't misuse it.

Fair enough. But any word could be misused!

If I had to play this impossible game, I'd say: Wisdom.

edit on 22-5-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Relationship

The opposite is what you are doing in every moment
of your existence, avoiding being already entirely in relationship.

Posed as a question with no asker this is the Great Mantra Adi Da
gave you.
"Avoiding being already entirely in relationship?"
Shortened to,"Avoiding relationship?"

Does you understand this?
There is no Teaching beyond this.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
the word love doesnt mean much anymore, other than attachment or eroticism. the love Christ spoke of was a type of inclusiveness.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Affection....

Probably the most accurate answer yet. When most people use the word "love" they mean "lust" or "romance" but I think in other situations this is what they mean. Having affection for others.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I like the word agape- it epitomizes pure unconditional love.

To the man I share the world with, we say, 'I see you' to each other. It means that 'I am totally open to you and I see you for who you are. Not as a thing I need, or who I wish you were, but as uniquely you.' We do say I love you, but it's so much cooler to show that than to say it.

I think a big issue is that 'love' loses its power as a descriptive word of fleeting constantly changing emotion, but reclaims it as an action verb for things we do and show.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I wouldn't use a word at all.

There are no words to explain the depth and feeling of pure love.

The feeling is closest to standing in a patch of warm sunlight on a beautiful day.

It just is and needs nothing to exist.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Oneness

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join