It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the word "Love" didn't exist, what word would you use for it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The word "Love" has been destroyed. You hear people saying things such as "if you loved me you'll do this or that...", This is a form of control. You hear people saying things such as "I love you!" while showing no love, but anger in that moment and screaming at a person at the top of their lungs.

To some people, love means controlling a person to protect them, but some says that "love" is acceptance where you warn people but allow them to make their own choices...

Basically, Love has been defined as such:

Control, Lust, Romance, Acceptance, Care (Compassion), Enjoyment, Anger (when screaming "I love you"), Sadness, Lack, Desire, Neediness, Loyalty, and so on...

If the word "Love" did not exist, how would you say the golden rule, "Love your neighbor as yourself"?

It think it would make sense to translate "Love" as "Care".

"Care for your neighbor as yourself", does that sound about right?

"I love this", "I care for this", does that sound about right?

The interesting thing about Care is that it can be positive or negative, so it can be unconditional...

Positive Care: "I want you to eat healthy foods so that you can have a long and happy life"

Negative Care: "I want you to stay away from junk food so that you wont have to suffer physical problems later"

However, if we truly care about a person's feelings (unconditional care), we will allow them to do what they want, but we'd warn them or make positive suggestions.

What do you think about all of this?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Limerence.

Read about limerent love. Unrequited love. Those kinds of loves are unconditional. And true.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I would say, "everything."

That is, because everything we are, seeks it from ourselves and others. We search our lives for it, ponder its meaning, and when we have it or lose it, it is all-ecompassing, a life-giver and a life destroyer, and so much in the world revolves around it, directly or indirectly, good or bad. It is consuming, it is total, it is everything.
edit on 22-5-2012 by mountaingirl1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Charity

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Hi arpgme,

I would make a word completely new and unheard of.

You might like Heidegger's "Being and Time." It's a profound read. He talks a bout care a lot, specifically as it pertains to the being of Da-Sein, or the individual.

A fundamental basis of our being-in-the-world is for Heidegger, not matter or spirit, but care:

Wikipedia on Heideggerian terminology

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Doublepluslike

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

What about agape? Which according to Wiki is

Many have thought that this word represents divine, unconditional, self-sacrificing, active, volitional, and thoughtful love.

But since you asked....I suggest we call it Kerrin....which just happens to be my first name. Let's all see if we can get it to catch on.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This is one reason why some modern Christians have taken to talking about AGAPE for the Christian version (using the New Testament word).
In "The Four Loves", C.S. Lewis distinguishes between Affection, Friendship, Eros, and Charity.
Goethe came up with the term "Elective affinity" (ie one you choose for yourself).

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Reality

Truth

God

they are all the same.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Eros - sexual love, attraction, lust
Philia - brotherly love, frienship, companionship
Agape - self sacrificial love, charity, God.

The same three words the apostles used in greek writtings.

God Bless,

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think the feeling/emotion you describe cannot and should not be harnessed by a word in any language, but rather by actions.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
Limerence.

Read about limerent love. Unrequited love. Those kinds of loves are unconditional. And true.

I like that word, but not all love is romantic.

Originally posted by mountaingirl1111
I would say, "everything."

That is, because everything we are, seeks it from ourselves and others. We search our lives for it, ponder its meaning, and when we have it or lose it, it is all-ecompassing, a life-giver and a life destroyer, and so much in the world revolves around it, directly or indirectly, good or bad. It is consuming, it is total, it is everything.
edit on 22-5-2012 by mountaingirl1111 because: (no reason given)

Haha, "everything to neighbor as yourself". "I am doing this because I everything you"

Originally posted by mikeprodigy
Charity

"I have much charity for you". I guess that word can work and people won't be able to misuse it.

Originally posted by alfa1

Doublepluslike

From this compound word, I am guessing that the most important quality of love you to is the "liking" rather than the "caring"? Interesting compound though.

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by arpgme

Hi arpgme,

I would make a word completely new and unheard of.

No, no. That is cheating, unless it is a compound word. It has to be a word that everyone already understands. A word that is not ambiguous like love so that people can't misuse it.

Originally posted by rwfresh
reply to post by arpgme

Reality

Truth

God

they are all the same.

The words reality and truth don't really capture the qualities of love though, and the word "God" can be misused.

"I feel God for you" people can say that in any situation because it is ambiguous. Interesting thoughts though.

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
I think the feeling/emotion you describe cannot and should not be harnessed by a word in any language, but rather by actions.

Language is for communication and we already have a word for it. It is just ambiguous which is why I am seeing what other words people describe it with.

Originally posted by ElohimJD
Eros - sexual love, attraction, lust
Philia - brotherly love, frienship, companionship
Agape - self sacrificial love, charity, God.

The same three words the apostles used in greek writtings.

God Bless,

Can't use the words "Eros", "Philia" and "Agape" because these mean love. The point is to find a word with the strongest quality of love but without unambiguity. "Charity" is a nice word, so it "friendship".

I guess agape can be used if it is translated as "altruism" or "care" instead of love.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I would use the word "Melissa", but that is case specific to me and the woman I am madly in love with. When I hear her name, I can feel the energy flow thru me. We have actually talked about what word we could use instead of love, because what we feel for each other is so much stronger than a single word...Last night she told me that she loved me "as big as the universe"...That's love people...and alot of it...I hope each of you find what I have found.

edit on 22-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
selflessness.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Sorry, couldn't find exact clip extract so go to 11:20. Your post reminds me of this conversation.

My take on this subject is that the term 'love' has been corrupted by human 'under-intelligence' over time so now we are left woth a word that has lost much of its original meaning.

I think coming up with a new word or expression is virtuous but will eventually suffer the same fate.

Real love is probably not so much verbal communication anyway, but is more a cosmic energetic interaction between sentient spirits.

Peace Out - Namaste

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Maybe respect because there is no love without it.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Not sure about "care" or the examples of positive/negative care. Loving or caring about something isn't being clingy, "I want you to eat healthy so..." Is just veiled selfishness tbh. There are healthcare philosophies that get into this, it's about finding what goals are important for the person, not judging them, and helping them get there.
edit on 5/22/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reproductive urgency

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Doublepluslike

Best one here

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Why not just "Big Brother?"