It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Catholic Church Declares War on Obamacare. This Could Spell The End Of Obama

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
If the Church can control their flock, then the contraceptive option shouldn't even be an issue.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by snarky412

Well, it would be an understatement to say that Obama and his policies are controversial.

While I admit it was pretty brave of the Obama Admin to add the Vatican to
the list of top money laundering suspects....
www.catholic.org...

That may come back to bite him.

Brave? Sounds like he's using a little leverage to get them to back-off their fight against Obamacare mandating birth control insurance. It won't work.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
If the Church can control their flock, then the contraceptive option shouldn't even be an issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The government is attempting to take a chunk of our religious freedom by telling the Church they have to pay for something that the Church defines as sinful.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Subjugation by finances.

It's the same issue as forcing people to pay taxes on the land they own. When the government can take your already-bought land from you for failure to pay your land-taxes, then you are renting from the government.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Play hardball. Offer the Catholic Church a deal: Either they provide full healthcare rights (including contraception) to all their paid workers, or they start paying taxes on all their property and earnings.
Play nice with workers rights, or lose your tax exemption.

We'll see which one they give up first. It will be amazing how quickly their dogma will waver once you threaten their coffers.

I'd love to see the records of the Catholic hospitals to see how 'charitable' they really are. I wonder how much profit comes from their hospitals.

Removing tax exemption from Churches/Ashrams/Mosques/Temples/etc. would provide more than enough funds for free, and first class healthcare to all.

Tax exemption for 'some' churches violates the first amendment. Otherwise ALL religions would have tax exemptions. Since there are refusals and exceptions made by the IRS, they are not respecting the establishment of all religions. There are laws that make exceptions. That's against the first amendment. It's either all or none. It's not all, so it should be none.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

What you propose is a government via way of blackmails.

In otherwords, a gangsta type of government.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
Play hardball. Offer the Catholic Church a deal: Either they provide full healthcare rights (including contraception) to all their paid workers, or they start paying taxes on all their property and earnings.
Play nice with workers rights, or lose your tax exemption.

We'll see which one they give up first. It will be amazing how quickly their dogma will waver once you threaten their coffers.

I'd love to see the records of the Catholic hospitals to see how 'charitable' they really are. I wonder how much profit comes from their hospitals.

Removing tax exemption from Churches/Ashrams/Mosques/Temples/etc. would provide more than enough funds for free, and first class healthcare to all.

Tax exemption for 'some' churches violates the first amendment. Otherwise ALL religions would have tax exemptions. Since there are refusals and exceptions made by the IRS, they are not respecting the establishment of all religions. There are laws that make exceptions. That's against the first amendment. It's either all or none. It's not all, so it should be none.

Oh! Touche'
Good point made here... Kudos.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
1. Tax exemption on privately owned property shouldn't be necessary in the first place. No one should be taxed on property already owned.

2. This is exactly why the constitution was set up the way it is. Government shouldn't be a bully towards ANY religion.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Well, it would be an understatement to say that Obama and his policies are controversial.

While I admit it was pretty brave of the Obama Admin to add the Vatican to
the list of top money laundering suspects....
www.catholic.org...

That may come back to bite him.

Thanks for that bit of info.

Nothing like insulting or accusing some body of some thing and then " Oh, we're sorry, we really didn't really mean that.....not."

Crazy SOB's in the W.H........

I know all previous administrations have had their share of BS, but this takes the cake. And the ice cream, the cup cakes, the cookies, etc...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Religion teaches faith in "God".

Obama wnts to replace "God" with government.

He started the fight, the padres are going to finish it.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Obama doesn't want to replace God with government.

That statement is almost silly, Beezer

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

On the contrary. I think he does. Really.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

On the contrary. I think he does. Really.

Just curious as to why you think that.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Yes, well to put it in another way those who live in glass houses
...should not throw stones.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Sorry the bunny has it correct Obama and liberals want to replace Government with god after all our rights come from God not Government.
edit on 22-5-2012 by neo96 because: bloody can't type

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

True, and further the Government has no authority over the Church.
That is what the liberals froth at the mouth over....

Seperation of Church and State!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
My Congressman, Todd Akin, wrote this and I am glad that they put in on Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org...

Liberalism and God
In late June 2011, Akin was discussing NBC's recent removal of the words "under God" from a video clip of the Pledge of Allegiance. Akin told radio host Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council that:
Well, I think NBC has a long record of being very liberal, and at the heart of liberalism really is a hatred for God and a belief that government should replace God.... This is a systematic effort to try to separate our faith and God, which is a source in our belief in individual liberties, from our country. And when you do that you tear the heart out of our country.

Two days later, Akin said in a radio interview there he would not apologize, since he meant that not all liberals hate God, only that liberals have "a hatred for public references for God." The next day, he said:
People who know me and my family know that we take our faith and beliefs very seriously. As Christians, we would never question the sincerity of anyone's personal relationship with God. My statement during my radio interview was directed at the political movement, Liberalism, not at any specific individual. If my statement gave a different impression, I offer my apologies.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I doubt it, to err on the side of compassion.

But: if they wanted to, they'd be very quiet as to WHY since the last notable historical figure who did something like that started a Holocaust.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Faith is a very private, individual relationship. Faith provides strength, it provides comfort. Faith provides a reference to many.
This irritates those in government who believe that government should be the reference, the standard for people. It eliminates the individual relationship and replaces it with a group-think.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

That scares the living daylights out of them.

I wonder how many black budgets have been blown away by that.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join