It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five reasons why gay marriage is a basic, conservative value

page: 37
<< 34  35  36   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

Originally posted by SedatedSon
reply to post by Garfee

My cigarette smoking is a habit, if you get pleasure out of kissing the same gender, go for it, it doesn't change my stand either way. Take your issue up with religion because they will disappoint you more than I will.
No, according to you, your heterosexuality is a habit, as you have determined by statement of opinion. I cite quotes from two of your posts from page 35 of this thread as reference.

"...as long as they keep there homosexual habits to themselves, I am fine with them...

"I did not choose to like women, I was brought up and taught by my wonderful parents..."

Obviously my heterosexual parents are cruel, #cked up deviants who made a conscious decision to raise a homosexual child - knowing how much fun it would be for both themselves and their child, or your parents were just superior to mine and should be cloned so we can all be perfect from now on.

methinks he doth protest too much

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

So if lets say "Gay marriage" was legalised, where would the homosexuals get married? Would they marry on religious grounds? Share in the same rituals as a man and a woman on their day whilst trampling on the values of religion at the same time? From what I have read, marriage came from religion or can you correct me if I am wrong? Regardless of the governments stand point on the issue.

Are the government going to build churches for them to marry in? Are they just going to marry in other places? What are religious people going to think of this? It is not an open and shut case like you think it is. Even if it were to be legalised, then you would have to fight for the right to marry in a church because the religious folk will not be happy with it. The government may fight for equality (I think that is BS anyway between you and me) but what will they do when it comes to religion? Are they going to override any decision the church does not agree with? If you can't marry in a church we have another problem especially if that is what they are fighting for.

If they do legalise gay marriage, are they then going to push for more rights? I mean, what are we looking at here? How far are they going to go? Ever thought the religious may fight back if it was allowed?
edit on 5-6-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

So if lets say "Gay marriage" was legalised, where would the homosexuals get married? Would they marry on religious grounds? Share in the same rituals as a man and a woman on their day whilst trampling on the values of religion at the same time? From what I have read, marriage came from religion or can you correct me if I am wrong? Regardless of the governments stand point on the issue.

NO! They're gonna get married on "Planet Gay".

Same as Left Handed people get married on "Planet Left Hand".

"PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE" - - they have careers - they have families - they have hobbies - they are students - they grew up with God. (or not).

Marriage did not come from religion. Marriage is a contract - - terms originally determined by "leader in charge" (parent/tribal chief - whatever).

America is a secular country. The document/contract LEGAL GOVERNMENT MARRIAGE LICENSE - - - does not contain any reference to god or religion.

As far as homosexuals and church/god - - - Duh! Again - homosexuals are people - - just people - - - people like many other people who grew up in God belief.

What!?!? Because they are homosexual they're supposed to give up God? Not unless it is their choice.

There are many churches who happily marry homosexuals - - and many more waiting for it to be legal.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

So if lets say "Gay marriage" was legalised, where would the homosexuals get married?

BTW - - Gay Marriage is legalized in several American states - - Canada - - and other countries/states/provinces around the world.

Here is a website of: Affirming Christian Church Directory.

Gay & Lesbian Welcoming Christian Churches Throughout the World

Hebrews 10:25 "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the custom some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching."

www.gaychurch.org...

Please read all the info. I am not trying to mislead. It does prove the fight for Gay Christian Marriage Equality is world wide. (and other denominations)

"Affirming" does not necessarily mean that the church is allowed to ordain gay ministers, perform holy unions etc... These issues are usually set at the denominational level and are, many times, outside of the auspices of the individual church. www.gaychurch.org...

edit on 5-6-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Are the government going to build churches for them to marry in? Are they just going to marry in other places? What are religious people going to think of this? It is not an open and shut case like you think it is. Even if it were to be legalised, then you would have to fight for the right to marry in a church because the religious folk will not be happy with it. The government may fight for equality (I think that is BS anyway between you and me) but what will they do when it comes to religion? Are they going to override any decision the church does not agree with? If you can't marry in a church we have another problem especially if that is what they are fighting for.

If they do legalise gay marriage, are they then going to push for more rights? I mean, what are we looking at here? How far are they going to go? Ever thought the religious may fight back if it was allowed?
edit on 5-6-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

They can get married at the courthouse just like a lot of heterosexual couples do. They could get married at any church that supports gay marriage, Metropolitan Community Churches do, many Espicopalians do, Unitarians, some Methodists, there are a TON of options. No church that didn't want to perform the ceremony would NOT have to just as they don't have to perform a heterosexual ceremony if they don't want to.

The Westboro Baptist Church and it's kin are not the ONLY churches in the country..Thank GOD!!!!

If your church had a heterosexual couple that they refuse to perform a service for, they are well within their rights to do so, the same applies. It's not that complicated....

Google Metropolitan Community Church and see what pops up.... then you can stand corrected.

Marriage didn't come from religion. The courthouse issues a marriage license or the church ceremony doesn't count for SQUAT!

There are presently churches that perform civil unions for gay couples, right there in the church with a pastor and everything. The only difference is that it's not a "legal marriage" because they didn't get a marriage license from the Courthouse. soo.... technically, that church's rights are being abused are they not? It's interfering with their religion is it not? Isn't that YOUR argument? Well, it's happening in churches, but they're not recognized due to the lack of a document from the GOVERNMENT, not from religion. Religion is all for it, look at the Metropolitan Community Church, a CHRISTIAN church that serves ALL Christians, whether they be gay, straight or anything else, just as a CHRISTIAN chruch SHOULD do.

Do you think that athiests don't get married??? It's only Christians that get married right? Nobody else does???

Seriously, that has to be one of the least intelligent, blinded questions I have ever seen in my life. Please tell me you were being sarcastic and didn't actually wonder about this!!

edit on 5-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Ok so what is the issue then? If they can get married in other states, then its an open and shut case. Anyway, I'm not gay so I'll will leave it there. Good luck to them.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

I'm assuming that you still haven't snapped out of your brainwashing because you think everyone marries in a church. Probably the main reason anyone does is to keep parents happy or because it's a lovely venue for it. I have not attended a church wedding since I was a child and even they did it for the reason I just decribed, most being held in gardens or halls or beaches. My parents were married in a courthouse.

I'd really like to know how, in this day and age, people can still think religion has anything to do with two adult human beings joining together as a loving partnership - unless they want it to.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

Look where I am this is not a massive issue, I do not understand the laws in the USA and obviously they are very different. I am sorry for even commenting due to my lack of knowledge on the subject. I will let you wonderful people continue.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I don't think the government has the right to tell you who you can and cannot marry. It's mind boggling that they think they have that kind of power honestly.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Please don't ever back down from your opinion. It doesn't matter if you disagree or agree with me or anyone else. What's important is that it's our right to have one and as we experience life, they evolve as we do.

Whatever one's opinion, it is the culmination of our education and experience up to that point. Whether I am right or wrong, just because I have a smart mouth - or in this case loose fingers as I type - should not stop you from debate or expression. I hope you continue to offer opinion as well as learn, as I do from others.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

Thanks or that and no worries. I have had the pleasure of meeting a few homosexuals in my time and I actually told one how he had the courage to come out and admit it. he was only 17 years old at the time. I guess if it means so much, then why not fight for it.. I guess it doesn't hurt anyone and everyone does have the right to be equal.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This shouldn't even be an issue. Marriage is not owned by Christianity. In America, there is freedom of religious and your spiritual beliefs should not interfere with another person's freedom to practice theirs, and if being gay is ok and gay people should be married according to one's spiritual belief, another person's spiritual belief should not permit them to do so. There is supposed to be FREEDOM of RELIGION and the spiritual beliefs of the minority are completely disregarded. It is disgusting.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Garfee

Thanks or that and no worries. I have had the pleasure of meeting a few homosexuals in my time and I actually told one how he had the courage to come out and admit it. he was only 17 years old at the time. I guess if it means so much, then why not fight for it.. I guess it doesn't hurt anyone and everyone does have the right to be equal.

Hey! Thank you for getting on track to open your mind - - - and admitting it.

"Life is a Road Worth Taking" - - too many fear to step foot on it - - even more fear taking the first step.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I think I am a bit confused about the stance between government and religion. I mean, i am pretty sure religion says it is wrong, yet they are allowing it and thats fine. Yet on the other shoe, Government who are fighting for equality as someone has said about are the ones who are disallowing it at the moment. it seems as though things are a bit muddled up.. Its actually confusing to me because I have never really thought about it.

Also I do agree everyone should have equal rights. What good for one, is good for another. Every race, Maybe not every cult but yeah. I think I am confused about the stances from both fronts even though it probably isn't a big deal anyway. The government should be allowing it i guess, yet when i think religion, I think no no.. But maybe thats for another thread. Anyway it is a good topic to discuss and good luck.

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36   >>

join