It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not So Organic - USDA Conspires with Agribusiness Insiders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
No surprise here, just more evidence that you can trust no one.

Not So Organic - USDA Accused of Conspiracy With Agribusiness Insiders - RT

A watchdog group that handles issues dealing with the American agriculture industry is lashing out at the federal government for allegedly corrupting the advisory board that oversees organic food stuffs in the United States.
The Cornucopia Institute from the state of Wisconsin is calling out the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) in their latest report by saying that the governmental panel that determines what is and isn’t considered “organic” is stacked with federal insiders with an alternative agenda.
According to the findings in The Organic Watergate paper released this week, the USDA’s National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) has taken a turn for the worse in recent years, hiring staffers in bed with corporate entities that aren’t as concerned with protecting consumers as they are with making a buck.

This kind of tomfoolery is just one of many reasons why my wife and I are looking forward to starting our own garden next spring.

Hate to say it, but its looking like shopping at your local farmer's market, joining a co-op, or growing your own food are increasingly becoming the only ways to maintain control over and be informed about what you consume.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bacci0909

No idea how it works in other places but here's how it works in Holland.

Organic produce is subject to rules, inspections and licensing here. Not just anyone can call their produce organic. On the packaging there is a special symbol meaning that the maker is a certified organic producer. A field for example, is not officially organic until it has had 4 consecutive years of no pesticides, no chemical fertilisers and nothing artificial applied to it. Animals raised for food or food production (eggs, milk, etc) must be fed only organic feed so the whole chain is organic, at least that's the theory anyway. No growth hormones, no genetic modification and better living conditions for the animals.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Its far worse then people realize. Its not too late to get a few planters and plants a pepper or tomato plant, you could even grow a crop of carrots and lettuce

Here is a video everyone should see regarding the USDA BS...
www.youtube.com...
edit on 22-5-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

sorry tried to embed the video...
edit on 22-5-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

No idea how it works in other places but here's how it works in Holland.

Organic produce is subject to rules, inspections and licensing here. Not just anyone can call their produce organic. On the packaging there is a special symbol meaning that the maker is a certified organic producer. A field for example, is not officially organic until it has had 4 consecutive years of no pesticides, no chemical fertilisers and nothing artificial applied to it. Animals raised for food or food production (eggs, milk, etc) must be fed only organic feed so the whole chain is organic, at least that's the theory anyway. No growth hormones, no genetic modification and better living conditions for the animals.

Sounds like a good system, at least in theory. I like that for meat to be considered organic, the animal has to have eaten only organic food. That may be a "rule" here in the US as well, though I've heard personally from farmer's in Iowa how unbelievably difficult it is to find non-GM corn to feed their cows.

I'm sure I'd agree with all the "guidelines" that organic maker's are supposed to follow here in the US, but as this article speaks to.. What if the people who are supposed to enforce those rules (USDA) are infiltrated by the very people who are supposed to be following the rules? The outcome is suspicious, at best

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I am going to try aquaponics. I live in a very cold environment so I need a green house to keep producing during the off months. Good find OP. Money controls men's souls.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
I am going to try aquaponics. I live in a very cold environment so I need a green house to keep producing during the off months. Good find OP. Money controls men's souls.

I'll have to look into that as well.. I'll be moving back to Chicago in a few months, and would love to find a way to continue to produce during all those winter months. I'd rather do that than have to freeze tons of veggies during the off-months, having to keep an extra freezer in the garage or whatever, costing me a bunch of money every month.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bacci0909

I'll have to look into that as well.. I'll be moving back to Chicago in a few months, and would love to find a way to continue to produce during all those winter months. I'd rather do that than have to freeze tons of veggies during the off-months, having to keep an extra freezer in the garage or whatever, costing me a bunch of money every month.

From what I have read it is a very good way to produce food using little energy consumption. You can grow vegetables and fish at the same time.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bacci0909

From what I have read it is a very good way to produce food using little energy consumption. You can grow vegetables and fish at the same time.

Ahh yes. I think I know what you're talking about now. Wasn't there some viral video of farmers who were doing this on a mass scale? I remember it being incredibly impressive. Something how the plants feed the fish, and then the water goes back to the plants. Crazy chit

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Yes, there was a good viral video about a man who had created about a million pounds of food in a small area. A very smart individual. The fish actually fertilize the plants, which then filter the water back to the fish. It's a pretty cool concept.

www.youtube.com...

Cool video for doing such at home. Don't mind the theatrics at the beginning.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Yes, there was a good viral video about a man who had created about a million pounds of food in a small area. A very smart individual. The fish actually fertilize the plants, which then filter the water back to the fish. It's a pretty cool concept.

www.youtube.com...

Cool video for doing such at home. Don't mind the theatrics at the beginning.

Yeah that was it. Amazing. I'd love to make that happen one day

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

Have you seen this video? "1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost"

All year round production, pretty awesome if you have the time, space and know-how.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by Covertblack

Have you seen this video? "1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost"

All year round production, pretty awesome if you have the time, space and know-how.

Yeah, that's the video I was thinking of. So awesome.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I agree with you here, and why am I not surprised? It's so typical of big business to get their hands and spies in every single network to turn the tide in their advantage.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

I agree with you here, and why am I not surprised? It's so typical of big business to get their hands and spies in every single network to turn the tide in their advantage.

Exactly. It's inevitable. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Maybe the libertarian desire to abolish government agencies like this isn't so "extreme" after all. It seems that one, centralized power (like the FDA or USDA) is relatively easy to corrupt with enough resources and money.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Yes, if they can corrupt one branch, they can corrupt the whole freakin' tree.

new topics

top topics

join