It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Freed Italian Hostage Says Iraq Rebels 'Justified'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
A recently freed Italian aid worker has indicated that her captors were right in their fight against the US and their forces. She further called the Iraqi Government a �puppet� . She was quoted as saying "You have to distinguish between terrorism and resistance. The guerrilla war is justified, but I am against the kidnapping of civilians."

story.news.yahoo.com
ROME (Reuters) - An Italian aid worker held hostage last month in Iraq said guerrillas there were right to fight U.S.-led forces and their Iraqi "puppet government."

In comments that were bound to annoy Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's government, Simona Torretta also called on Rome to withdraw the troops it sent to Iraq to support its U.S. ally.

"I said it before the kidnapping and I repeat it today," she told Corriere della Sera newspaper in an interview published Friday.

"You have to distinguish between terrorism and resistance. The guerrilla war is justified, but I am against the kidnapping of civilians."

Torretta and her Italian colleague Simona Pari, both of them 29, were freed Tuesday, three weeks after being snatched from their Baghdad office. Berlusconi has brushed aside widespread reports that his government paid a ransom of up to $1 million.

Describing the administration of Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi as "a puppet government in the hands of the Americans," Torretta said elections planned for January would have no legitimacy: "During my days in detention ... I came to the conclusion it will take decades to put Iraq back on its feet."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Simona Torretta and Simona Pari were released by their captives last Tuesdays and rumors persist that the Italian government paid a $1,000,000 dollar ransom to arrange their release. Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi denied that any ransom was paid.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
FredT, a very interesting post. I agree with Simona Torretta on some points.
But the first thing that entered my head was, "Stockholm syndrome".
en.wikipedia.org...

Sanc'.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
FredT, a very interesting post. I agree with Simona Torretta on some points.
But the first thing that entered my head was, "Stockholm syndrome".
en.wikipedia.org...

Sanc'.

I wanted to say the same thing, but I try to keep my personal opinions out of my news articles
. That being said, the article seemed to imply that she was kind of the opinion before she was taken. They probably got sick of her and booted her out

join