As a Herpetologist I find the above posts saddening due to the hatred and misunderstanding of the creature. The article is talking about a specific
species of Crotalus or pit viper or more commonly known as a Rattlesnake but as I have come to see most people don't know the difference between the
different species of Crotalus and therefore they all get tangled together. Before I go on I would like to post a pic of 4 different species in order
to prove this point. As stated this is 4 of 151 species found in the southern United States. When recognized you can look them up for indigenous zones
and those zones will be fairly small, however, all 151 species can be found from California to Florida due to transport, habitat encroachment, the pet
industry, etc. The 4 pictured below are the Eastern Diamondback, the Western Diamondback, The Northern Mojave(also known as the green Mojave), and the
Mexican West Coast. Can you identify them?
Now, the activists are attempting to put the Eastern Diamondback on the endangered species list due to its population thinning in its natural habitat,
which is primarily Florida. Unfortunately, only 45% of the total population is found in its natural habitat as humans encroach, and the other 55% can
be found in populated areas within their habitat region(Florida). Just as any wild animal on the endangered species list, if a human life is
threatened the animal can be killed, however, if it can be safely removed by professionals this is preferred but human life does take president. I
hate to say it, but those of you that state "If it's in my house I'll kill it" will still be within your right to do so and I personally will hold no
ill will. Why? They are deadly obviously.
As for those that brought up Rattlesnake Roundups, I have attended and even eaten Rattlesnake as well as a few other species of snakes and
reptiles(for those wondering No, it does not taste like chicken). Here is the problem, Yes, they do help keep down the wild population of these
dangerous animals however, rattlesnakes are beginning to evolve into a much more dangerous animal due to this hunting. Before, rattlesnakes were
considerate in that they would give you a warning before striking, now they are learning that to rattle or warn you gives away their position putting
themselves at risk, so, they are beginning to refrain from giving the warning making them all the more dangerous. So there are pros and cons to
roundups that have not been considered in the past.
Do I personally think they should be put on the list? Yes, but only in their natural habitat in Florida not including populated areas. As they can
have a clutch of between 25 and 75 young they will be able to grow in numbers if left alone in where they belong and the Habitat is protected from
encroachment. Other than that, as the populations are larger across the lower States and Mexico not to mention they have moved North and begun cross
breading with Timber Rattlesnakes in states like Colorado, I believe the endangered species classification should not apply.
For those who are interested here are the answers to the picture above.
Edit to say: I forgot to mention that Hellhound604
is 100% correct in that
there is a very large difference between Poisonous and Venomous. Poison is ingested and Venom is injected. It is obvious the article writer did little
edit on 22-5-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)