It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was the objective of the NATO summit protests?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Now that the Chicago NATO Summit has come and gone with no false flag terror attacks, no rioting in the streets, no looting, no mass arrests, no FEMA camps, not even any broken skulls, I would like for someone to explain what the purpose of the whole exercise was.

I understand why NATO leaders need to come together to ratify the details of policies that had been discussed by their staffs over the past months. What I don't understand is why people traveled from all over the country to stage protests. What did they hope to accomplish? Did they expect NATO to cave in to their demands and disband? Was it to draw the world press' attention to the fact that NATO exists? Was it to present documentation of allegations of NATO wrong doing? How do the protesters judge whether their objectives were met? Do they consider it a successful protest; if so, why?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
IMO, just to show the world that the American people aren't happy, as well, at what their government is doing.
(While all eyes are on the US during the World Leaders Summit)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think that the protests were simply to show the world that not everyone is keeping their head below the parapet. Protests may seem ineffective but their symbolic value is immeasurable. What keeps huge organisations (like NATO) grounded is the simple fact that people are taking account of what they are doing. Without that simple symbolic check tyranny grows unchecked. It is a hard won privilege, the right to protest and if you don't use it, you lose it.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

IMO, just to show the world that the American people aren't happy, as well, at what their government is doing.
(While all eyes are on the US during the World Leaders Summit)

But the turnout was not a representative sample of the American people. The majority of Chicago residents stayed home or went to the beach. Even RT had a hard time finding enough footage to make it appear large, never mind revolutionary. Most of the anecdotes I have heard make it sound as though the police took a large, disorganized group of tourists on a guided tour of downtown.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

I think that the protests were simply to show the world that not everyone is keeping their head below the parapet. Protests may seem ineffective but their symbolic value is immeasurable. What keeps huge organisations (like NATO) grounded is the simple fact that people are taking account of what they are doing. Without that simple symbolic check tyranny grows unchecked. It is a hard won privilege, the right to protest and if you don't use it, you lose it.

In other words, the objective of the protests was to demonstrate that they still have the ability to exercise their constitutional rights. In that case, yes, they succeeded. The only people who were arrested were those who committed acts of violence or property destruction, not "thought crimes."

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The protesters, representing a wide variety of beefs and general discontent, were merely using the summit as a large stage for their own selected special interests.

I'll bet a pie chart would show a very small percentage of people actually protesting NATO.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

The protesters, representing a wide variety of beefs and general discontent, were merely using the summit as a large stage for their own selected special interests.

I agree, but like the "Occupy" movement, the messages get lost in the spectacle. The veterans throwing away their medals was a nice piece of theater, but the irony is that NATO was meeting to finalize their withdrawal plans for Afghanistan.

I love your signature by the way!
edit on 22-5-2012 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Honestly, I can see the day when cities like Chicago are selling "protest space" at high-profile events like this. That way the big companies can push the smaller, unorganized sideshows out to the perimeter. I can't believe they haven't commercialized this yet.

Thanks... I was bored when I wrote that

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Honestly, I can see the day when cities like Chicago are selling "protest space" at high-profile events like this. That way the big companies can push the smaller, unorganized sideshows out to the perimeter. I can't believe they haven't commercialized this yet.

That's actually a brilliant idea! I'll e-mail Rahm immediately!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

I agree, but like the "Occupy" movement, the messages get lost in the spectacle. The veterans throwing away their medals was a nice piece of theater, but the irony is that NATO was meeting to finalize their withdrawal plans for Afghanistan.

Theater? Withdrawal?

www.veteransforpeace.org...

"Presidents Obama and Karzai, against the will of their people, work to commit U.S. forces to at least 12.5 more years in Afghanistan.

NATO provides the United States with a pretense of global coalition and legality. Approximately half of the world's military spending is U.S., while adding the other NATO nations brings the total to three-quarters. The head of the Pentagon, Leon Panetta, recently testified in Congress that a war could be made legal by working through either the United Nations or NATO. While no written law supports that claim, it is a claim that has served its intended purpose. NATO also serves as a false legal shield, protecting the U.S. military from Congressional oversight."

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

"Presidents Obama and Karzai, against the will of their people, work to commit U.S. forces to at least 12.5 more years in Afghanistan.

Nato leaders meeting in Chicago have endorsed plans to hand over combat command to Afghan forces by mid-2013.

They confirmed Nato's combat troops would be withdrawn by the end of 2014, with only training units remaining.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
to establish a framework for my response I will first say that NATO and the Protesters share in intrinsic link that simple denial cannot dissolve. They are the same thing.

the climax of this event is clearly illustrated with CPD and State Police and the Protesters standing off at Michigan Avenue and Cermak Road, just a few blocks from the McCormick Place where NATO was facing off against its member States at the same time.

To add a little cosmic significance, the annular eclipse was occurring at the same time....all quite beautiful if you ask me.

Most on the posters on this site lie nonstop and attempt to flip the script and associate themselves with the people, usurping the Police who are actually citizens of this place, while many, perhaps most, of the protesters are travelers without a firm place to be, like NATO.

and just as NATO surrendered to True Authority and Insurmountable Strength so to did the Protesters, who came to this place to make war upon the locals.

I think the whole thing worked out quite well.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by frazzle

Nato leaders meeting in Chicago have endorsed plans to hand over combat command to Afghan forces by mid-2013.

They confirmed Nato's combat troops would be withdrawn by the end of 2014, with only training units remaining.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah, they really meant it in 2011, too:

salsa.democracyinaction.org...

"Recent press reports by McClatchy and the New York Times have suggested that the Obama Administration intends to "publicly walk away from" President Obama's promise to begin drawing down U.S. troops from Afghanistan in July 2011 at the NATO summit this week."

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

The point was to PROTEST WAR, which is directly being caused by this "criminal" entity, called NATO, that is nothing less then ruthless and greedy to the point it's almost impossible to comprehend.

Those brave Americans that took the time, put themselves in harm's way, 60-100 arrested, have heard a few versions, people WERE HURT by police, faced "armies" of police in riot gear, holding sticks in an aggressive stance, was only as peaceful as it was because MOST people are GOOD, and we don't WANT WAR and VIOLENCE.....

I was very moved watching the reactions from other news sources around the World, these protests were BIG news around the World, and the people around the world are holding out alot of HOPE that the American people, will stand-up to our "rogue" gevernment and somehow put a stop to this insanity.

At the very least, these protests were a way to let soo many people that have suffered at the hands of these "ridiculous" wars and "interventions" around the World, KNOW, that many American's are saying...NO MORE...and trying to make a difference.

I think it was an important day in History, and I have BIG respect for all that protested on May 20, 2012...God Bless us all...♥

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
opps
edit on 22-5-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

I think the whole thing worked out quite well.

Everybody made up and hugged:

galleries.apps.chicagotribune.com...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Those brave Americans that took the time, put themselves in harm's way, 60-100 arrested, have heard a few versions, people WERE HURT by police, faced "armies" of police in riot gear, holding sticks in an aggressive stance, was only as peaceful as it was because MOST people are GOOD, and we don't WANT WAR and VIOLENCE.....

Don't forget the terrifying phalanxes of bicycles. I agree that very few people got hurt because the intent of the demonstration was peaceful. One wonders what motivated Black Bloc to push innocent people in harm's way.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Lovely picture....very special "human" moment.....but that officer is not dressed in riot gear...and actually I completely believe that if the American people are capable of restoring "justice" it will require the support of the military and police looking "deep" in thier hearts, and understanding, honoring, the actual "oaths" they agreed to uphold....protecting the American people and the Consitution....I'm trying to keep the faith.......

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
reply to post by DJW001

Lovely picture....very special "human" moment.....but that officer is not dressed in riot gear...and actually I completely believe that if the American people are capable of restoring "justice" it will require the support of the military and police looking "deep" in thier hearts, and understanding, honoring, the actual "oaths" they agreed to uphold....protecting the American people and the Consitution....I'm trying to keep the faith.......

The world press has given the entire weekend a good review. The police allowed the protesters to express their right to free speech, and in return, the protesters (for the most part) did not cause any trouble. Chicago has a long history of supporting liberal and "leftist" causes. The riots of 1968 were an anomaly, not the norm.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

if one of those cops had been hit in the face, just as he was yawning or something, with a jar of urine or feces...the outcome could have been much different.

but all in all no one did anything unusual.

Rahm Emmanuel should be Mayor as long as he wants.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join