It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Porcupine Tree - "Radioactive Toy"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I just finished listening to this song from 'Porcupine Tree' and felt compelled to share it with whomever may stumble upon this thread. ( If any...Hello? anybody out there?
)

It is a long song but have patience young grasshoppa ( music sincerely helped me hone my patience,especially when it is this good. ) If you are a fan of progressive/psychedelic rock in the vein of Pink Floyd,Marillion,Genesis,King Crimson,Spocks Beard etc. I think you will dig it. You gotta love that Guitar solo!

Run through forests on a hot Summer day

Trying to break down walls of numbing pain

Give me the freedom to destroy

Give me radioactive toy

Taste the water from a stream of running death

Eat the apple and cough a dying breath

Feel the sun burning through your black skin

Pour me into a hole, inform my next of kin

Run through graveyards on a dusty Winter day

Spit the dirt out and try to say

--- "Radioactive Toy" as written by Steven John Wilson Lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, EMI Music

The lyrical meaning,like most music it can be interpreted subjectively.

Although the apparent idea of 'Radioactive toys' should not leave too much to the imagination concerning the objective implications of Nuclear Fall out. IMO.

Little blurb about the band -

Porcupine Tree were a rock band formed by Steven Wilson in 1987 in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England. Their music was associated with both psychedelic rock and progressive rock, yet having been influenced by trance, krautrock and ambient due to Steven Wilson and Richard Barbieri's penchant for the Kosmische Musik scene of the early 1970s, led by bands such as Tangerine Dream, Neu! and Can.

[3] Since the early 2000s, their music was leaning towards progressive metal and alternative rock. The band was noted for its multimedia approach, with its live performances including screens displaying a different film projection to each song. This visual element was introduced during the tour for the In Absentia album, when the band started to work with Danish photographer and filmmaker Lasse Hoile. This involvement created a distinctive image for the band.

Source
edit on 22-5-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I've been listening to Porcupine Tree for years, I heard about them though Opeth via myspace.

Incredible band, interesting lyrics, and great time signatures.

Never dissapointed by them.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Nice! This has reminded me to listen to more Porcupine Tree

I really love his "Fear of a Blank Planet" album. He really is a great musician.

For the post above, Mikael from Opeth and Steven Wilson have released a project together. It's called Storm Corrosion. You can check it out here:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Glad to have some like minded music fans.

I found out about P.T. through Opeth as well.

Opeth,porcupine tree,anathema and katatonia are some of my favorite bands.

The storm corrosion collaboration between Mikael and Steven Wilson was great IMO.

I actually met both Steven Wilson and Mikael,on different occasions.Both at concerts. Mikael at a CD signing ( got 'Still life' signed) and met Steven Wilson outside PT tour bus after the show.

Both were humble,polite and outgoing.

I am jamming out right now to this -

I love how a lot of P.T music is deceivingly happy sounding all the while some of the lyrical subject matter is full of melancholy.
edit on 22-5-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I have a thread about them in here too...Not too many comments. I'll happily support another thread.
One thing I highly recommend, if you are a fan, is the Anesthetize DVD on Blue Ray. (you get a standard DVD as well)
It's well shot, incredibly recorded in Dolby 5.1
Very underrated band, with a bass player than never stops smiling.
All the musicians are to-notch. And the Lyrics are Thought provoking.

So, I'll add a song too.
This one is a bit of an ode to Pink Floyd Animals.
It's about making sure you get the most of your time on Earth.
The Video itself is even beautiful.

Time Flies.

edit on 22-5-2012 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I have a thread about them in here too...Not too many comments. I'll happily support another thread.
One thing I highly recommend, if you are a fan, is the Anesthetize DVD on Blue Ray. (you get a standard DVD as well)
It's well shot, incredibly recorded in Dolby 5.1
Very underrated band, with a bass player than never stops smiling.
All the musicians are to-notch. And the Lyrics are Thought provoking.

So, I'll add a song too.
This one is a bit of an ode to Pink Floyd Animals.
It's about making sure you get the most of your time on Earth.
The Video itself is even beautiful.

Time Flies.

edit on 22-5-2012 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

I did not see your thread,I would of gladly added some comments.
You are welcome here fellow friend with awesome taste in music!

I had that DVD,Not sure what happened to it,to be perfectly honest. I know I need to get it again.From what I can remember you are absolutely correct.It has a fantastic picture and stellar audio.
HAHA yeah,with his hat on,bobbing to the groove...Always smiling.

I have been fortunate enough to have seen them Live 3 times and blackfield once.
Are you familiar with the side project 'Blackfield' ? that Steven Wilson sings,writes and plays on with a Israeli popstar/singer/song writer (forget his name atm)

You are right,they are massively underrated.

The only band other than a few other rare gems that can feel that void of the classics like Pink Floyd.

I love 'Time Flies' great tune.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I had no idea they did some work together! Its been years since I have been properly involved with music and digging deeper. My world is flipped.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I had no idea they did some work together! Its been years since I have been properly involved with music and digging deeper. My world is flipped.

I know what you mean.

I was deeply into following the latest and greatest of underground music movements and up an coming or widely unknown artists.

It is has been only just recently that I've attempted to get back into it all.

I think I am going to create another thread that highlights one of my favorite bands of the last couple of years ever since first discovering them.

The Poland based Psychedelic/ Progressive rock band Riverside

Wanna talk about a criminally underrated and commonly unknown band with incredible talent!? look no further than Riverside.

If you are a fan of Porcupine Tree,Pink Floyd and the softer side of Opeth - Then I think you will love Riverside.

Here is the first song off of their debut record (The very first song that I heard from riverside,which led to my love of the band. )

Riverside - "The Same River"

edit on 24-5-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

top topics

join