It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution happens. That's a fact.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus
Evolution is an antiquated concept without any definitive merit. It cannot be demonstrated beyond theory. The only thing evolving is the 'theory'.

Then how do you explain the example I provided in the OP, considering we have undeniable proof of it in the form of DNA and how humans are today.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

I have provided evidence of one species becoming another , on the previous page !
the sea slug that is part animal part plant

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

You can't willingly evolve. and it's a SLOW process. Assuming the meteor (comet? I forgot the definitions) was the cause of their extinction, it cause the climate to change drastically in a short period of time. For evolution to take place you need MANY generations. Like the above post said, birds evolved from dinosaurs. I'm not sure why they survived and the majority didn't though, something to do with their diet and where they live I guess. Towards the end dinosaurs had feathers, we know the tyrannosaurus did due to fossils.

Well if you can't see the problem with that many generations thing ? I can't help you.

You don't see the slightest absolute impossibility with this stuff ? Really ?

I suppose evolution is in complete control of the hostile environment ?

They became birds ?

edit on 23-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

wow!

Well written, I'll have to read it more thoroughly when it's not so late though.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

You can't willingly evolve. and it's a SLOW process. Assuming the meteor (comet? I forgot the definitions) was the cause of their extinction, it cause the climate to change drastically in a short period of time. For evolution to take place you need MANY generations. Like the above post said, birds evolved from dinosaurs. I'm not sure why they survived and the majority didn't though, something to do with their diet and where they live I guess. Towards the end dinosaurs had feathers, we know the tyrannosaurus did due to fossils.

Well if you can't see the problem with that many generations thing ? I can't help you.

You don't see the slightest absolute impossibility with thyis stuff ? Really ?

I suppose evolution is in complete control the hostile environment ?

They became birds ?

If you're going to say something then explain why you're saying it. Otherwise it means nothing.

Nothing there is impossible, and yes, birds evolved from dinosaurs, that's not so hard to believe if you think about it. I can see you're not really paying attention to anything though, there's not much point in me replying.

You can laugh at this stuff but believe we were created by a mystical being with zero evidence. wow.

So explain the problem with the "many generations thing". Can you?
edit on 23-5-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
reply to post by The Old American

I have provided evidence of one species becoming another , on the previous page !
the sea slug that is part animal part plant

It isn't part plant. It's a slug that uses chlorophyll. Plants also use water...does that mean humans are part plant because we use water?

/TOA

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

birds did indeed evolve from dinosaurs as demonstrated by the fossil record. Its good you can laugh at your own lack of knowledge i dont think i could do the same.

I suppose evolution is in complete control of the hostile environment

not sure what you mean by this but it would be more accurate to say the environment is one of the main drivers of evolution.
edit on 23-5-2012 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by intrptr

There is no such thing as de-evolution. It can't happen, evolution is always moving forward.

Then we can strike the 2nd law of thermodynamics? God luck with that. Everything is wearing out. The thing about life systems is that they hold back the second law for a time but eventually...
What are you talking about? De-evolution can't happen, time moves forward. Even if something were to lose features, that's still evolution.

What am I talking about? You never heard of Entropy? All physical systems are in a continual state of decay. Thats the 2nd law of thermodynamics. It makes it impossible for life to "evolve" as you put it. You might as well say, "Life happens." Evolution can't explain away physics.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Very good example, and to the one fellow who was citing adaptation rather than evolution a mutation implies a change in DNA structure but also I had always been of the understanding that adaptation was the means through which evolution was acheived. Also I wanted to bring up the example of wisdom teeth..

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Nothing there is impossible, and yes, birds evolved from dinosaurs,

Birds evolved from extinct dinosaurs ? But I'm not making any sense ?

Could you at least make up my mind here in just this one tiny lil area ?

Did the dinosaurs go extinct 65 bagillion yrs ago ? Or did they all turn into birds and lose all their teeth or what ?

Help me out here ? i'm hav'in some trouble seeing triseratops as a damn bird.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

There is no such thing as de-evolution. It can't happen, evolution is always moving forward.

Then we can strike the 2nd law of thermodynamics? God luck with that. Everything is wearing out. The thing about life systems is that they hold back the second law for a time but eventually...
What are you talking about? De-evolution can't happen, time moves forward. Even if something were to lose features, that's still evolution.

What am I talking about? You never heard of Entropy? All physical systems are in a continual state of decay. Thats the 2nd law of thermodynamics. It makes it impossible for life to "evolve" as you put it. You might as well say, "Life happens." Evolution can't explain away physics.

I don't think you quite understand how evolution works, what you're saying has nothing to do with it. Why would the physical decay of a system, as you put it, affect the spread of DNA in it's offspring? You're not really making sense.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Nothing there is impossible, and yes, birds evolved from dinosaurs,

Birds evolved from extinct dinosaurs ? But I'm not making any sense ?

Could you at least make up my mind here in just this one tiny lil area ?

Did the dinosaurs go extinct 65 bagillion yrs ago ? Or did they all turn into birds and lose all their teeth or what ?

Help me out here ? i'm hav'in some trouble seeing triseratops as a damn bird.

"65 bagillion"

Well that right there suggests you have no idea what you're talking about, but I'll go on...

Yes they evolved from dinosaurs, I didn't say they evolved after dinosaurs were extinct did I? Dinosaurs were around a LOT longer than they have been extinct, which was around 65 million years ago. Many dinosaurs had a beak-like structure, and towards the end a lot of them had feathers. There isn't much point in me explaining this to you because you obviously are having difficulty understanding how evolution works, you lack too much knowledge in the subject and refuse to accept explanations. Continue to live uneducated, doesn't bother me because it's a lot of effort trying to explain things to you.
edit on 23-5-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

dinos died but some birds which evolved from dinos survived they went on to speciate into the birds we have today.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by randyvs

dinos died but some birds which evolved from dinos survived they went on to speciate into the birds we have today.

So what ever killed the mighty dinos, their evolving off shoot more fragile bird brothers were able to just fly away from ?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by randyvs

So what ever killed the mighty dinos, their evolving off shoot more fragile bird brothers were able to just fly away from ?

Can you please at least try to use your brain here. Having wings, they can fly. This opens up a whole new world of places to live, as well as depending on different food sources. Being higher up is warmer, as well as feathers for insulation and places to shelter. There are probably many other factors at play too. You're arguing with science here... you're making yourself look silly.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

only smaller land animals survived the mass extinction event 65 million years ago. 85% of species on earth died including plants.

most mammals, birds, turtles, crocodiles, lizards, snakes, and amphibians were unaffected .

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Can you please at least try to use your brain here. Having wings, they can fly. This opens up a whole new world of places to live, as well as depending on different food sources. Being higher up is warmer, as well as feathers for insulation and places to shelter. There are probably many other factors at play too. You're arguing with science here... you're making yourself look silly.

If i look silly ? It must be in someone elses eyes besides my own and I don't give a rats ass about that my fellow member. Shudder to think.

So what you're saying now is you know how the dinos went extinct ? Or atleast you know it wasn't a meteor strike.
Right ?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

adaptation is evolution?? what??

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Few quick points.

*Micro vs Macro Evolution: There is no difference. After a few million years of successful 'micro' mutations what do you think the logical end point is? Do you really think a species is somehow trapped in some sort of pre-defined mold unable to anything more than slight changes in coloration or minor skeletal morphology?

*Dogs are a brilliant example of evolution which is more or less observable. In just a few thousand years we have gone from wolf/jackal type animals to the amazing array of breeds we have around us today. This shows how change can happen within a species in an amazingly short period of time. Selective breeding works no differently from natural selecion.Technically yes they are all still the same species but I would love someone to explain to me how a chihuahua and an irish wolf hound would successfully breed and then produce viable offspring.

*Would those who deny evolution exist please actually put forth an alternative theory?

*Also could those who deny evolution please answer the brilliant post provided by VictorVonDoom on p3 of this thread as quoted below.

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom

If I may ...

Adaptation occurs when a species develops characteristics which enhance its survival in a particular environment; the way some animals adapt to cold environments, for example. Evolution occurs when a species evolves into another species. The point being that the evolved species can't produce offspring with the species it evolved from.

Anyway, evolution can be proven with simple logic. We know some species become extinct, and we know that we've had mass extinctions in the past. Now, if one species could not evolve into another, then that would mean that every species on Earth today has always been here. If you consider all the species on the planet now, consider the rate at species that go extinct, and work your way back about 100,000 years, it becomes pretty clear that there is no way that many species could have existed on the Earth at the same time. It all comes down to numbers.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

I hope you got at least one applause in this thread. It would be well deserved!

I would also be interested in the material you have to present. I might already know much of it, considering my past, but sounds like you may have some evidence I haven't seen. I'm always open to new evidence. Or even a different approach to old evidence.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join