It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution happens. That's a fact.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by hiphoprevolution
reply to post by SpearMint

Theres NEVER been any witness of any evolution happening in ANY time while anyone been alive never not in any history has it been witnessed....you think it just suddenly stopped??? and if we evolved from apes...why is there still apes??? did they miss the bus? theres no real evidence of evolution.

Your understanding of evolution is completely wrong. I'll state a few things.

1. You cannot witness evolution first hand. It's too slow.
2. Evolution hasn't stopped. I don't think it can stop, although there may be huge gaps in-between.
3. We didn't evolve from the apes you know. We share a common ancestor with them, they're on a different evolutionary path. Evolution doesn't go back and remove the old model so to speak, new species can form in different groups. There is evidence, you just don't understand it properly.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by timeisonwhoseside

Was anyone here around to see it happen? (A mostly-rhetorical question.)

The possible theories are not just Evolutionism and Creationism, but Intelligent Design. Those are three distinct theories, with possibilities of overlap.

Since people have been arguing about all three for quite some time now, maybe all three sides should step back, and listen, and consider that maybe, just maybe all three (or 2 out of 3) have been in play at some point or points in time.

That's all I have to say, other than that I believe in Intelligent Design, which I do NOT use to mean Creationism, or to support Theism.

I suppose that Evolutionism and/or Creationism can be true to, but—

I wasn't there!

I don't plan to follow this thread (Subscribe), or want to argue any points.

Enjoy life my fellow people!

I always hear other theories out no matter what the subject is. My opinions are always based on evidence and logic. Evolution has very strong evidence behind it, as well as making perfect sense to me. I'm always happy to be proven wrong but no one can do that at this point in time. Until then I respect all other views as long as there is something to back it up. As far as creationism is concerned, no one knows, so I don't argue. Creationism and evolution could co-exist.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morg234
Remains? That's the best thing it can be. A scientific theory. An explanation proven beyond doubt by all the scientific facts.

Evolution has been described as either -

- Fact and Theory
- Fact not Theory
- Theory, not a Fact
- Multiple Theories, not Fact (or some Facts)
- Multiple Facts, multiple Theories.

Science simply cannot achieve absolute certainty, nor is it a continuous march toward an objective truth as the vernacular meaning of the terms "proof" or "fact" might imply.

One of the reasons Evolutionists can sit there and say, "Evolution is fact" is because of their definition of fact - it can be interchangeably used with the word "true", or at least should be - and if you want to hear an Evolutionist himself define the term "true", Jerry Coyne describes it, in laughable terms -

Start the video at 5:30-

First of all, I have to get clear, what we mean by scientific fact; what do we mean by "something is true" scientifically? We don't mean "true beyond all possible doubt", in the absolute truth sense, we mean - it's an assertion for which there is so much evidence that it would be perverse to deny it - and by that, I mean, those people who are capable of judging the evidence, if almost all of them say that that's 'true' - then it's true.

Read that carefully, listen to it intently. That's a very dangerous thing he just said - he basically said, "if my colleagues think it's true - it's true!"

Seriously? This is a ridiculous statement. It's argument from authority, and it certainly doesn't make things true. Rather, I suggest people look at the data themselves and come to the conclusion (for themselves) what the implications of it are.

Originally posted by SpearMint
Your understanding of evolution is completely wrong. I'll state a few things.

I know you weren't speaking to me, but I'd like to respond to this. Based off the points you listed..

1. You cannot witness evolution first hand. It's too slow.

You realize, that if I said, "There's a pink unicorn under this box I'm holding, but when you lift up the box to look, he disappears!" I am making an unfalsifiable claim, and even if I sincerely believed in the claims I am making, it doesn't make it true - it means I'm making a statement of faith.

Exactly like you just did. You spoke out of faith, which is what your Religion of Evolution relies on predominantly - Faith, in both Time and Chance.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Yes we've always had the ability at a young age. It's meant to switch off as an adult. A mutation occurred that meant it didn't switch off, that's a huge advantage. It was passed on through offspring and it now considered normal. This is evolution.

I beg to differ.

The switching on and off of exsiting genes does not facilitate the arrival of new species.

If we call evolution simply change over time, then yes ok.

However evolutionary theory, any evolutionary theory must account for the emergence of new biological information.
Evolution is not the exclusive domain of darwinism. I too believe evolution happens however It happens through some yet unknown means.

No new information is present in your example. The most probable reason the gene is not switched off is through the loss of function not a gain of function. No new bio information is needed for the change. I'd hardly call it a huge advantage, we'd probably be better off not drinking milk. This is an ongoing debate amongst nutritionist, there are good reasons for and against it.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

I always hear other theories out no matter what the subject is. My opinions are always based on evidence and logic. Evolution has very strong evidence behind it, as well as making perfect sense to me. I'm always happy to be proven wrong but no one can do that at this point in time. Until then I respect all other views as long as there is something to back it up. As far as creationism is concerned, no one knows, so I don't argue. Creationism and evolution could co-exist.

No one has absolute evidence and logic in anything they do, try to be cautious about making statements like that. Even I, myself, admit to being illogical at times. Example, when in love, we do irrational things - we will go against all logic that tells us to, or not to, do something, only to make the other person happy.

I do admire how you openly confessed your happy to be proven wrong (yet that no one can do that at this time), so I'd like to propose a theory. May I propose an alternative to your worldview, and perhaps give you a difference of opinion? It would contradict your previous assertion of being a logical-thinker to refute my proposition - best case scenario (in my view), would be that I convince you of my theory/data - worst case, I serve you as a bad example. Either way, all I'm asking for, is a chance.

To give you an idea, I'm coming from the Creation view-point, and I believe firmly in a literal 6-day creation, and that the world would be no older than 6,000 years. I will focus mainly on the worldwide flood, what life would have been like pre-deluge, how people would have lived (and how long they would have lived), and touch upon things like the Neanderthals, who they were, and if they serve as evidence for Evolution OR Creation - and I'll share all of my information with as much source material that I can come up with.

All I'm asking for you, is to be open-minded and to lend me your eyes for awhile.
I won't discuss this in U2U though; I'd rather speak publicly.

Thanks.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
What amazes me is when people think evolution is fact when scientist doesnt know for a fact if it what we become of.

well, anyway since humans have been here i dont see know monkey's evolving in to humans or what not, or better still us humans havnt evolved.
the only thing that evolves is our knowledge and our technology

I guess believing in evolution is just an easy answer to how we got here...

funny how no one questions the missing link

tut

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by BloodSister
funny how no one questions the missing link

Well, as I usually say, the missing link isn't missing because Evolutionists haven't found it yet - it's missing because it doesn't exist!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by BloodSister

there is no missing link

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Sure, I'd be very interested to see what you can show me.

Also, thank you for actually making well written and thought-out comments on this thread, it doesn't seem to be a common thing.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I think your understanding of evolution is wrong!

No one seems to have a good explanation on this matter

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
it does!

explain RH NEGATIVE BLOOD?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I always wondered about why evolution seems to have stopped. Maybe people like Michael Tellinger are onto something. Maybe it seems to have stopped because our DNA isn't being manipulated by other intelligences anymore.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BloodSister

rh negative blood appeared long after humans were here. A missing link would be something just before humans appeared. we have plenty of those. There is no missing link.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Excellent.

It's a bit late now, though, and I just wrote up a very long thread, so I will have to do so as soon as possible tomorrow. I'll make it as informative as possible.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I'm sure this will be ignored or glossed over, but explain alligators and crocodiles. Supposedly unchanged for 65 million years.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
OP - you contradict yourself. Your title says evolution is a fact. But then in your first sentence you admit that evolution is just a theory. Take a look -

It amazes me time and time again when people disregard the theory of evolution ...

NATURAL SELECTION is a fact. Evoution is just a theory.
There is no absolute proof that one species evolves into a different species.
Therefore - evolution is just a theory.

(and no .. I'm not a person who believes in Adam and Eve .. so don't even bother going there)
edit on 5/23/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I think we've devolved, not evolved, and I don't believe the accepted version of hi-story, because almost everything else pushed at us is a lie anyway. So why not lie about one of the most important things? Or true history is likely hidden from us.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I foudn this to be an interesting spanner in the works of adaptation and evolution , well not so much a spanner sorry but more of a mystery / connundrum !

the sea slug that became part animal part plant , through its diet and can now photosynthesis

Sea slug

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by StupidShouldHurt

becuase they're still succesfull and live in the same enviroment as they did millions of years ago.. 99% of all species that have lived on earth have gone extinct.
edit on 23-5-2012 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
OP - you contradict yourself. Your title says evolution is a fact. But then in your first sentence you admit that evolution is just a theory. Take a look -

It amazes me time and time again when people disregard the theory of evolution ...

NATURAL SELECTION is a fact. Evoution is just a theory.
There is no absolute proof that one species evolves into a different species.
Therefore - evolution is just a theory.

(and no .. I'm not a person who believes in Adam and Eve .. so don't even bother going there)
edit on 5/23/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

Look back in this thread for the post explaining what theory means in scientific terms.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join