It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just watched the first commercial spaceship, Dragon, leave earth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I saw it live via the stream....amazing. What an accomplishment.

Did anyone else notice how YOUNG some of the people working for spaceX were? Good for them....exciting.

And, a look at job openings on their website reveals about 200 openings.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Did anyone else notice how YOUNG some of the people working for spaceX were? Good for them....exciting.

Many of the Apollo engineers were in their 20s during Armstrong's first moonwalk. The average age of the engineers in mission control the day of Apollo 11's moon landing was 28 years old -- and by that time, many had already worked for NASA for a few years.

Source

edit on 5/22/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: added source

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CagliostroTheGreat

Originally posted by BlackTriangleUFO
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

My personal belief is that commercializing space has already begun. The private sector has trickled hints that they are already up in space getting comfortable. (I have a hunch the moon has more secrets from the general population that NASA or Governmental figures have led on.) No proof, but hopefully time will tell.
i happen to agree with you blacktriangle, it is my firm belief that the side of space exploration we see is just the side they choose to show us, but again simply speculative opinion. fascinating nonetheless!

However, because of our rapid technological developments, this launch could very well be a stepping stone toward a slow but considerably rapid release of private sector space exploration. Fifteen years ago, Predator missiles with camera guided systems were considered TS (top secret) clearance level to know. Now, they show them on the main stream media for mini documentaries. So if indeed the private sector is secretly up in space, I would use logic of past timeline informational releases to predict that general public knowledge within the next twenty years should have a better understanding of space exploration and were we as a society stand on it.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackTriangleUFO
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

My personal belief is that commercializing space has already begun. The private sector has trickled hints that they are already up in space getting comfortable. (I have a hunch the moon has more secrets from the general population that NASA or Governmental figures have led on.) No proof, but hopefully time will tell.

Commercializing began when apparently the US staked its flag on the moon

It's a good thing a realtor wasn't there to put a "For Sale" sign on it either, hahah

edit on 22-5-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
We aren't we using them reverse-engineered flying saucers we recovered....ohh wait a minute...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
S&F because I agree that it's awesome that the private sector is moving ahead with space exploration. I do think it's in vain as we can't seem to get things straight here. We are advanced enough to go to space and the moon yet we still fight wars and spew hatred over the most primitive things.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

ahhh, thank you for the input.
really helps clear things up. still it is a jumpibg point, we shall see where it takes us...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

indeed, indeed.
certainly is a shame our "leaders" see it fit to keep these technologies hidden from us pleabians.
*sigh*

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

your'e kidding!
thats actually pretty amazing. thanks for the link.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

i fear you may be correct sir...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

awesome man, thanks for the link!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

that sounds frighteningly accurate.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

hilarious.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Is that a spaceship?!?!!?

Im out...

I thought that was a rocket

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

what do you mean?
a rocket is a spaceship...
i'm not sure what you are saying...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by CagliostroTheGreat
reply to post by Miccey

what do you mean?
a rocket is a spaceship...
i'm not sure what you are saying...

whaaa...?!?!?
No it isnt...

Rocket:

"Space Exploration Technologies has plans to build a commercial heavy lift rocket that will carry more than twice the payload of existing large rockets at one third the cost. "

Spaceship:

Ohh...
Do you see the similaritys...
Nhaa.. me neither
edit on 2012/5/23 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

hmmm...
not sure if you're just trying to argue or what...
at any rate, when i say "spaceship" i mean a ship that enters space...
would you disagree the shuttle was a spaceship?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey
Is that a spaceship?!?!!?

Im out...

I thought that was a rocket

Even using your definition of a "spaceship" (and I can sort of understand your distinction between "rocket" and "spaceship"...sort of), yesterday's launch WAS the launch of a spaceship.

- The launch vehicle (i.e., the rocket) was the Falcon 9.
- The payload launched by that rocket was the spaceship called the Dragon Orbital vehicle.

As of now, the Dragon spacecraft can carry cargo (the one launched Tuesday is taking cargo to the ISS). However, the dragon is a pressurized spacecraft that can potentially carry astronauts, although the design needs further vetting by NASA before it becomes "human rated"; that's one of the reasons for these tests flights. There are several crew configurations, but one configuration can carry up to 7 astronauts.

The Dragon was developed as a replacement for the Space Shuttle's and the Soyuz's mission of transporting supplies and astronauts to and from the space station. The Dragon spacecraft is reusable, thus hopefully will be cost-effective.

More Information on the Dragon Spacecraft

So yes -- even using your definition, that was a spaceship that was launched.

edit on 5/23/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

thank you!
didn't have the time to do the research myself but i was almost certain that the dragon capsule was indeed capable of transporting cargo, potentially living.
and i guess i just assumed it was fairly obvious that the rocket itself was just a means of propulsion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join