It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Religious People; Why do you do good deeds, and why do you do bad deeds.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Confusion42

1- What is your religion?

Born again Christian.

2- To what level do you take your religion

Personal relationship with Jesus.

3- What is the cause of your doing "good deeds"? Do you only do "good deeds" due to your religion?

I don't believe in doing good works/deeds in an effort to earn God's grace or favor- that is a gift offered freely. But I do believe that our hearts are purified over time to actually desire goodness over evil. It goes back to love in our hearts.

4- What is the cause of any "bad deeds" you have done? To what level does religion play into any "bad deeds" you have done?

Because we're still human and on a journey just like everyone else. We still suffer in our fallen state. Hence, the need for grace because we acknowledge we're not perfect.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

3- What is the cause of your doing "good deeds"? Do you only do "good deeds" due to your religion?

People do good/bad deeds even outside a religious context.

If yes; Does this mean that the only reason you do "good deeds" is due to your religion? If no; Does this mean that you do "good deeds" because you yourself want to do good?

When a non-religious person (or an atheist) does a good deed, is it always because of his need to prove to the world that even non-religious people perform good deeds?

edit on 22-5-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Romans 3

10 As it is written:

“There is no one righteous, not even one;
11 there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.”
13 “Their throats are open graves;
their tongues practice deceit.”
“The poison of vipers is on their lips.”
14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 ruin and misery mark their ways,
17 and the way of peace they do not know.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

---The Bible points out that the law creates duplicity. If I desire good but want reward, what is my true desire? If I desire good, but only do it to avoid punishment, what is my true desire? Duplicity is created when we are selfish. So, why was the law given?

Galatians 3

23 Before the coming of this faith,[j] we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Being clothed with Christ means that we have taken His name. A name represents character. This character is love for others and can only come by regeneration of the Spirit. Spirit is consciousness. If we take the name in vain, we take the name without the character. Again, this is duplicity. A demon is a thought pattern in consciousness that causes grief in the spirit and produces sin and death. The Christian is being regenerated through the process of being born again. You must be born again. When does the Holy Spirit come to mankind fully?

Epistle of Barnabas 15:4

Give heed, children, what this meaneth; He ended in six days. He meaneth this, that in six thousand years the Lord shall bring all things to an end; for the day with Him signifyeth a thousand years; and this He himself beareth me witness, saying; Behold, the day of the Lord shall be as a thousand years. Therefore, children, in six days, that is in six thousand years, everything shall come to an end."

To see this clearly, let’s put the information into context with the entire story of the Bible:

-Adam to Abraham 2000 Years of Age 1 (FATHER)
-Abraham to Jesus 2000 Years of Age 2 (SON)
-Jesus to Today 2000 Years of Age 3 (HOLY SPIRIT)
-Day of Rest (Day of the Lord) 1000 years (SALVATION)

At the end of each age, the element of that age was revealed. First the Father, then the Son and finally the Holy Spirit. At the end of the day of the Lord, we find salvation from the baptisms. There are five baptisms.

Earth (Matter)
Air (Breath / Word)
Water (Baptism and immersion into the water of reality - Raise to new life each time)
Fire (Trials - Overcoming the baptisms)

Spirit is our final baptism. Salvation comes to those who overcome the desire (Mark of the Beast) of the other baptisms. You must be born of water and spirit as indicated in John 3. Being born again finally ends in Spirit if we gain union with God in love. The two become one and we transcend the womb of the Earth. We are born into the spirit. The Groom comes for his bride and a new life is created in the true reality of Spirit. Consult NDE experiences to see that this is truth.

Right now, we are all filthy rags until we gain a Holy Consciousness through the Holy Spirit of God as our Shepherd. Christians are progressing toward the goal. None of us are righteous yet. Christ is the Good Shepherd and we are his sheep in the wilderness.

Isaiah 64:6

6 All of us have become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
we all shrivel up like a leaf,
and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

We can only overcome through Christ. The mark of the beast is 666 (Carbon - 6 protons, 6 electrons, 6 neutrons). Carbon is the fruit of knowledge (Technology) and the mark of man (The beast to overcome). Nitrogen is 777 (God's number) and 888 is oxygen (Christ in Greek Gematria). The breath of God allows us to overcome with His WORD. Jesus is the Word.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

edit on 22-5-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think empathy is the biggest factor. There is also a feeling of religious responsibility (such as tithing). Then there is a desire to do some good in hopes of bribing God.
edit on 22-5-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

None. I hate religion. A personal, day-by-day relationship with Christ has nothing to do with religion and all it's trappings and legalisms.

2- To what level do you take your religion; By this, I mean, for instance, if your Christain, what is your interpretative regarding the bible i.e. literally (young-earth creationist), or if your Muslim / Islamic, do you pray five times a day no matter what or "kind of"? etc.

I pray when the Spirit leads, no set number or times, just when He leads.

I do good things so that men may give glory and praise to my Father in heaven.

If yes; Does this mean that the only reason you do "good deeds" is due to your religion?

I do "good deeds" so that my Father gets glory and praise, for Him in Christ's Name.

If no; Does this mean that you do "good deeds" because you yourself want to do good?

My natural self is full of pride and selfish, I certainly don't do them for myself. My natural inclination is to gratify myself and my wants and desires.

Obviously, this thread, and whose who answer, need to be honest. I WANT THIS THREAD CIVIL.

I wish you luck, but the anti-theists and anti-Christians will flock to this thread like pitbulls on a grilled pork chop. I applaud the intent though.

If you answer that the only reason you do good deeds is because your Bible or religious book tells you to do so, than I wont criticize you and I hope nobody does either.

I would hope folks weren't doing their "good works" just because a book or their pastor said to do them. I would hope and pray they were done by the leading of the Holy Spirit and solely for the glory of God and to advance Christ's Kingdom.

4- What is the cause of any "bad deeds" you have done? To what level does religion play into any "bad deeds" you have done?

Idolatry of self. When I did things to glorify my own wants and desires. When I have self on the throne in my life instead of God. Any deed to glorify myself.

5- This is open ended question. Please talk about what you think "good deeds" are, what you think "bad deeds" are, and the reasoning behind so. Your welcome to talk about how your religion ties in.

My idea of "good deeds' are helping someone who needs help, in whatever capacity that is. Doing things that most people would never do. Loving them, serving them. Putting all others needs before my own. Putting all others before myself. IMO "bad deeds" or sins are anything done by myself for the wrong motives, (self-gratification/self-glory), things done that I know God would not approve of. Things not done that I'm told by the Spirit to do are also wrong and or sin.

Great quiz, good questions. Thanks for making this thread.

NuT

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Dear Confusion,

I read your question and answered it in my original post. I asked you how you would answer the questions to which you seem to have taken offense. The rules of ATS are that we are to stay on topic and not be offensive. I was on topic and follow the rules of ATS, unless you are a moderator, that is all you can ask.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by Confusion42

I am sorry you find this post "ridiculous/" May I ask why you responded if you clearly don't like my original post?
It is the entire idea that is ridiculous. You shouldn't need a reason to do a good deed, just like I don't need a reason to respond.

As far I'm concerned, if you need some sort of an outside reason, then the action was done for an additional personal gain, and was not actually a good deed after all.

I agree that you shouldn't need an outside reason to do good deeds.

(I am not religious I am agnostic).

But I want to see how "religious people" justify doing good things only because the Bible told em ...

edit on 5/22/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-5-2012 by Confusion42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

People do good/bad deeds even outside a religious context.

If yes; Does this mean that the only reason you do "good deeds" is due to your religion? If no; Does this mean that you do "good deeds" because you yourself want to do good?

When a non-religious person (or an atheist) does a good deed, is it always because of his need to prove to the world that even non-religious people perform good deeds?

edit on 22-5-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

Hello sk0rpi0n,

I found your statement, "When a non-religious person (or an atheist) does a good deed, is it always because of his need to prove to the world that even non-religious people perform good deeds." to be, wrong.

(again, as the original poster, I want this thread civil, no matter how hard lol)

Honestly, that statement has just illustrated a core problem in society today. Let me explain. After I explain what I mean here, I would like it for you to respond to the specific points I will present.

People do good deeds, and bad deeds. This everybody agrees on.

Non-religious people do good deeds to do good deeds, period. Non-religious people do not think about any sort of belief system; As a result, the only possible reason a non-religious person would do good is because they want to do good. For purposes of this explanation, I will call this "Pure Altruism"

Yet, with some religious people, good deeds are only done due to:

1- Fear that they will go to a bad place, such as hell, if they don't.

2- Fear that they will be viewed in a negative light by there fellow parishioners if they don't do good.

3- Some religious people claim they do good deeds because God tells them to do good deeds.

etc.

The list goes on and on.

The common theme here, however, is that religious people do good deeds, in order to benefit themselfs religiously.. Conversly, atheists cannot claim any of the above as the reason to do good deeds.

While I am not and have no generalized, I can summarize my points as this:

Some religious people ONLY do good deeds, one way or another, in order to benefit themselves, via religion.

Most non-religious people that do good deeds do the deeds out of the kindness of their heart. It is extremely insulting, and very arrogant, to assume that non-religious people do good deeds "to prove to the world that even non-religious people perform good deeds."

For now, this explaination should surfice. And note so far I am only discussing good deeds. religion and bad deeds will be discussed here soon enough though :-)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

Please do not ruin my thread by posting text found in the highly edited collection of books (called the bible), who was authored by 40+ unknown people, edited by people who sought to enslave others.

Your response is the worst (more or less) possible.

While I keep emphasizing about keeping this thread civil, get your garbage "your going to hell (and / or worse) unless you belief what I say" garbage out of my thread.

This thread is for people that are able to think for themselves; Not for the brainwashed and brainwashes.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

There is no one righteous, not even one;
11 there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.”

Your dirty garbage (calling me worthless) and saying I don't do good, (saying ALL / EVERYBODY) does no good, just because of a fiction book, is not wanted in this thread. IT IS NOT WANTED IN THIS WORLD. Sicko.

13 “Their throats are open graves;
their tongues practice deceit.”
“The poison of vipers is on their lips.”
14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 ruin and misery mark their ways,
17 and the way of peace they do not know.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

Your type is the worst of the worst. You are mentally ill.

You depend on a book to do good, and without that book, you would be a pyscho.

19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

Whomever wrote this (one of the many editor's of the Bible) clearly had a power issue.

This quote here, shows that your belief system says that forget laws, forget everything; Whatever "God" (your pastor?) says is the rule of the Universe and those who disagree should be "silenced."

Sick sick sick.

YOUR BOOK IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CHILDREN HAVING UNDERGONE "THE WORST OF THE WORST" BAD DEEDS; AND THE SICKO'S THE DO THESE CRIMES USE THE SAME WORDS YOUR TYPING TO JUSTIFY THEIR MOLESTING AND CHILD F****KING!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Confusion,

I read your question and answered it in my original post. I asked you how you would answer the questions to which you seem to have taken offense. The rules of ATS are that we are to stay on topic and not be offensive. I was on topic and follow the rules of ATS, unless you are a moderator, that is all you can ask.

I apologize; I suppose I mis-understood.

Indeed, it is only fair for me to answer my own questions.

Here goes:

None. I am agnostic w/ my own twist.

A combination of agnostic with leanings towards quantum / karma beliefs.

To what level do you take your religion;

None; I don't use belief systems in regards to good or bad deeds.

3- What is the cause of your doing "good deeds"?

Because it makes me feel good to see my actions resulting in my fellow human being(s) having their life better, no matter how small or big.

Their is a fine line however between doing "good deeds" and "being used." That is for another thread (or post) lol.

If no; Does this mean that you do "good deeds" because you yourself want to do good?

Correct.

Well, this is actually a rather complicated question. Thanksfully, I myself have not done anything in what I call the "bad bad" category (serious "bad deeds")

But for "minor" bad deeds, it usually is because of times in my life where I was selfish. Times in my life where I learned the lessons of responsibly.

I kind of should of defines bad deeds; So it's all kind of relative.

Sometimes doing a minor bad deed is necessary. If somebody tries to "use me" , for example if a friend knows that I would help them with computer / internet / website development, and than daily wants me to spend the whole weekend teaching them / telling them everything I learned and tips and tricks and stuff, without paying me, I tell the friend to f***k of for a while.

I have no problem spending a whole day teaching a friend something. I have big problems with friends expecting me to spend weekends and long hours essentially working for them for free, as they call it "helping them.":

If after a few weeks they realize they were in the wrong, we stay friends. If not, I have no problem losing people / friends who really aren't friends and are using me.

Their were periods in my life where I was "on top of the world." Coincidentally, I was very "popular" and had MANY friends.

99% of them where not there when I was "at the bottom of the world." Those 99% while I have no problem with them, I know they are pieces of...

Okay long rant. Anyhow....

I answered :-)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Some religious people ONLY do good deeds, one way or another, in order to benefit themselves, via religion.

You basically see religious people as being selfish....and intending to benefit from good deeds.

Like I implied earlier, it is possible for a religious person to do a good deed outside of a religious context. For example, when I help a person in need, I might not be even thinking about God or religion.... but rather acting out of compassion for a fellow human being.

edit on 23-5-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Dear Confusion42,

Your questions have value and the answers are individual. We cannot assume all Christians or people of other religions have one reason for doing good or bad. It is as you expected, some do good because they expect a reward and some do good for it's own sake. Just because someone says they are a believer does not mean that they are for the right reasons, some say they are believers because they want a reward and Jesus answers them. He says he never knew them.

As for atheists and agnostics, in my opinion, if God wants to reach them then he will and can. If anyone asked me what I thought, I would tell them that I almost died, had a Near Death Experience and truly knew there was something beyond this. My last thought was to forgive my ex who cheated on me. Why leave this world with baggage and regret and hatred. Not what you think when you are looking at death. That is what awaits us all, death. If that is what awaits us all then don't we all matter? If we all matter, why should any of us wrong one another? The bible did not lead me to God, he led me to the bible. I had to understand good to understand the bible, I had understand what he said. To love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself. Once you understand that, you understand what evil is.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Confusion42

Please do not ruin my thread by posting text found in the highly edited collection of books (called the bible), who was authored by 40+ unknown people, edited by people who sought to enslave others.

Your response is the worst (more or less) possible.

While I keep emphasizing about keeping this thread civil, get your garbage "your going to hell (and / or worse) unless you belief what I say" garbage out of my thread.

This thread is for people that are able to think for themselves; Not for the brainwashed and brainwashes.

It's our thread when you place a question to "Religious People" in hopes that they answer your question. Did you mean to post this in the Religious section, because you invite scripture references when you post in this section and ask a question to "religious people."

I get your attempt to knock me around with a desire to see me stumble. The irony is not lost. If you have ears to hear, my post said nothing about hell. Hell is a state of consciousness and energy. God is light and life. Hell represents separation from life and light. Darkness cannot comprehend.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

To see the light, simply look, seek and knock. The door is opened. You can click the link in my signature and begin to open your eyes to the truth in scripture or you can simply ignore my advise. Either way, I will answer our question in this thread with my best answer. Either way, my only purpose in answering is to help you in love. Nothing more. Good is its own reward.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Your dirty garbage (calling me worthless) and saying I don't do good, (saying ALL / EVERYBODY) does no good, just because of a fiction book, is not wanted in this thread. IT IS NOT WANTED IN THIS WORLD. Sicko.

Actually, I didn't call you anything. The truth found in the Word of God speaks to all of us equally. We're all on this earth together and we're all thieves. Taking reward equates to taking something that was no earned. Smoking is a good example. Smoking leads to a debt. The debt comes back as payment in the form of cancer. Suffering on purpose represents giving. A person that works hard at a job to feed his family, no matter how menial the labor, is giving forward toward a reward that is reaped. Suffering always produces reward.

Your answer to me is in a negative direction. You are judging me (Implying that I judge you) as a reward you are taking. When you judge others, you are essentially raising yourself above the thing you judge. The bible says that you will be judged in the same manner you judge others. It comes back to you in the form of a debt. Taking reward (stealing pride over others) can only produce suffering.

On the other hand, if you flip this to positive and give, we all reap the reward. What I am saying here is a rendering of truth. If it judges you, I am not the source of the judgement. The words and truth judge us all. I choose to stand on the right side of truth and therefore, I reap positive. Work with this law and it works with you. Break it and it breaks you. We all light the fire we burn by. Either it burns us or we use it as a light on the path of life.

Good is its own reward. Positive produces positive. Positive cancels negative. Hate cannot dispel your hatred of Christians or the Bible. Only love can dispel hate. Mathematics is on my side. Negative creates more negative unless you are multiplying.

Christ suffered a death on the cross. Our sin is a negative. When they are multiplied, positive is the result. Two negatives multiplied make an exponential positive.

edit on 23-5-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
1. Born Catholic. dont practice

2. Dont go to Church. I dont believe in Jesus anymore as God, but believe in God.

3. Good deeds depends on perspective and perspective depends on experience. Sometimes you do bad things for teh right reasons, why would you be judge by that? I think deeds is not teh right word but intention.

and all the rest 4. 5. are on 3.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join