It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Religious People; Why do you do good deeds, and why do you do bad deeds.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Hello All,

I want to learn more about religious people's good deeds, bad deeds, and the reason's for you doing these deeds.

Please, let's keep this thread CIVIL.

So, if you answer this thread, let's keep this format. First, answer:

1- What is your religion?

2- To what level do you take your religion; By this, I mean, for instance, if your Christain, what is your interpretative regarding the bible i.e. literally (young-earth creationist), or if your Muslim / Islamic, do you pray five times a day no matter what or "kind of"? etc.

3- What is the cause of your doing "good deeds"? Do you only do "good deeds" due to your religion?

If yes; Does this mean that the only reason you do "good deeds" is due to your religion?

If no; Does this mean that you do "good deeds" because you yourself want to do good?

Obviously, this thread, and whose who answer, need to be honest. I WANT THIS THREAD CIVIL.

If you answer that the only reason you do good deeds is because your Bible or religious book tells you to do so, than I wont criticize you and I hope nobody does either.

4- What is the cause of any "bad deeds" you have done? To what level does religion play into any "bad deeds" you have done?

5- This is open ended question. Please talk about what you think "good deeds" are, what you think "bad deeds" are, and the reasoning behind so. Your welcome to talk about how your religion ties in.

The point of this thread, is for me to get to understand both some of you religious folks on here, and the actions you do and cause thereof.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Confusion42

Dear Confusion42,

You have caught us out, we should all be selfish because we are all that exist and God does not. I am Christian and I do good because understanding that there is a God and all of us matter means that we should help one another, we are in this together. I do bad because I am human and feel my urges and wants and sometimes I forget that others matter. Now, to be fair, as a non-believer do you believe we should try and do good and why? Also, as a non-believer, why do you do bad?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Pagan is what I claim.

2- To what level do you take your religion; By this, I mean, for instance, if your Christain, what is your interpretative regarding the bible i.e. literally (young-earth creationist), or if your Muslim / Islamic, do you pray five times a day no matter what or "kind of"? etc.

I take it pretty seriously, but it's really just a skeleton.

3- What is the cause of your doing "good deeds"? Do you only do "good deeds" due to your religion?

I do good deeds because I have an amazing person that loves me for some reason that is completely foreign to me. He's a hardcore goody two shoes, and it makes him happy when I'm nice and do right. That's my reason for doing good deeds. I don't do good deeds due to my religion pretty much at all.

4- What is the cause of any "bad deeds" you have done? To what level does religion play into any "bad deeds" you have done?

The cause of me doing bad deeds has mostly been my own stupidity and want for revenge or something equally stupid. Religion plays into bad deeds only in the sense that when I do something bad and I get smacked in the head karmatically, I actually believe in the karma concept and see it fairly easily.

5- This is open ended question. Please talk about what you think "good deeds" are, what you think "bad deeds" are, and the reasoning behind so. Your welcome to talk about how your religion ties in.

Good deeds are generally things that help people, while bad deeds are generally things that hurt people. It ties in with my idea of karma. You do bad things, you get bonked in the head with karma.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Confusion42
Hello All,

I want to learn more about religious people's good deeds, bad deeds, and the reason's for you doing these deeds.

Please, let's keep this thread CIVIL.

So, if you answer this thread, let's keep this format. First, answer:

If yes; Does this mean that the only reason you do "good deeds" is due to your religion?

If no; Does this mean that you do "good deeds" because you yourself want to do good?

Obviously, this thread, and whose who answer, need to be honest. I WANT THIS THREAD CIVIL.

If you answer that the only reason you do good deeds is because your Bible or religious book tells you to do so, than I wont criticize you and I hope nobody does either.

The point of this thread, is for me to get to understand both some of you religious folks on here, and the actions you do and cause thereof.

1- I'm muslim

2- I'm a practicing muslim of the sufi persuasion.

3- I believe the reason for my good deeds is the human inclination towards good.

4- I believe the reason for my bad is my own (taking responsibility) weakness, sometimes influenced by manipulated desire. My faith gives me a procedure for my own redemption in this life, and a path to correction for things I've done through repentance, and desire to change.

5- I believe all deeds that have a positive effect on the people around you are good. And all deeds that have the opposite effect are bad. Through my own personal study of Islam, I believe that your deeds are labeled by the effect they have on our collective energy as a human family (i.e positive, negative energy).

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Confusion42,

You have caught us out, we should all be selfish because we are all that exist and God does not. I am Christian and I do good because understanding that there is a God and all of us matter means that we should help one another, we are in this together. I do bad because I am human and feel my urges and wants and sometimes I forget that others matter. Now, to be fair, as a non-believer do you believe we should try and do good and why? Also, as a non-believer, why do you do bad?

Dear AQuestion,

Before I start a CIVIL discussion with you, I have to ask if your able to have a civil discussion?

Your snark remark, "You have caught us out, we should all be selfish because we are all that exist and God does not." What are you talking about?

When you call me a "non-believer," when did I say I was atheist? I am not atheist (I am not religious either)... This has nothing to do with the thread though.

So, before I even answer anything in your post as it relates to my OP, can you or are you able to engage in a civil discussion?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I hate religion with a passion, in fact I'm pretty sure I have zero religious friends. I am a firm believer in God, and am what you would call a "Christian", yet I am very much against religion.

The Bible is the infallible Word of God, inspired by Him and written by over 40 different authors, human authors. I pray whenever I think to God, because simply talking to God is praying. I hardly ever go to "Church" the building, but whenever I gather with other Saints, it is considered Church, which I do quite often.

I do not do any good deeds because of my will to do so, anything that I do that is "good" comes from God. It is not done because of anything that tells me to, it is done out of a newly acquired nature I attained - God's nature. I do "good", because it is God who influences me to do so.

All of my bad deeds comes from my own personal nature. Whether I sin because I'm a sinner, or I'm a sinner because I sin, is unimportant. I still sin. I'm still a sinner. I can attribute all of my "bad deeds" to my own nature, my own selfish desires, my own lusts. Thankfully, I don't have much of an attention left from my old nature when I got saved 2 years ago at the age of 17.

I think I described them fairly well already. Good comes from the Father, Evil comes from our own selfishness, or if you'd like, from Satan.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck

Pagan is what I claim.

I take it pretty seriously, but it's really just a skeleton.

I do good deeds because I have an amazing person that loves me for some reason that is completely foreign to me. He's a hardcore goody two shoes, and it makes him happy when I'm nice and do right. That's my reason for doing good deeds. I don't do good deeds due to my religion pretty much at all.

The cause of me doing bad deeds has mostly been my own stupidity and want for revenge or something equally stupid. Religion plays into bad deeds only in the sense that when I do something bad and I get smacked in the head karmatically, I actually believe in the karma concept and see it fairly easily.

Good deeds are generally things that help people, while bad deeds are generally things that hurt people. It ties in with my idea of karma. You do bad things, you get bonked in the head with karma.

Hello AnIntellectualRedneck,

Thank you for participating in this thread. I appreciate your honest answers, and I belief we can have a civil discussion.

1- So by Pagan, does this just mean you have kind of your own belief system, and Christian's would call you a pagan?

2- I take it that you have developed your own kind of belief system that fits you?

3- This is a very interesting answer. So, LOVE; Your partner loves you, and you want to spread the love?
This is a very interesting answer. And a good one. And a real one. Indeed, the reason your hubby loves you is not foreign to me (a stranger, I am, yet your respond to the questions do highlight some very positive traits you carry) :-)

4- Interesting. I see you take responsibility for your actions; You believe in Karma (as do I) ; And good / bad deeds aren't dependent on religion (correct me if I am wrong). Your answers are interesting.

5- Agreed.

I hope all of the people that respond will be as civil and kind as you have been.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Dear Confusion42,

I am sorry if you found my sarcasm un-civil. I question any post that starts with "To religious people", sounds like a set up to me. Us versus them, them versus us, whatever. I called you no names and answered your questions. Shouldn't you do the same? At a minimum, wouldn't it be fair to give your answers to your questions? Don't worry about people disagreeing with you, worry about making your point. Do you wish to have a true discussion or one where there is no levity? If you wish to have a thread with no sarcasm then you are bound by the same rules. That means you don't get to ridicule or display sarcasm at what people say that is silly, you are bound by the rules you set for others. Choose the rules.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
People who follow religion should be “good”, in that they should have an outlook which is based on compassion and empathy for their fellow man – treating people like they expect to be treated. I think that is largely the case, whether people are religious, or not and this compassion is manifest in e.g. charitable giving, help for family and friends etc and this type of behaviour is repeatedly highlighted in the Bible, for example.

IMO there is a tendency for people who are purport to be religious to become so bent on the exactitude of the “word” or their interpretation of the “word” that they slide away from the basic tenants and core values common to all religions and in so doing become the opposite of what they think they are. If there is a God, then these people are usually unwittingly consigning themselves to hell!

There are numerous examples, but range from the those nice chaps from movements like Westboro Baptist Church who cause so much grief through to Islamist extremists who think it’s somehow right to blow unbelievers up.

Regards

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Hello My.mind.is.mine

Thank you for taking some time to answer my thread. I appreciate your honesty, and the fact that you responded in a civil matter.

I will quote some of your answers, and comment on them. My interest is in learning more about your beliefs.

2- I'm a practicing muslim of the sufi persuasion.

Can you provide a brief description; I know I can Google it, but I would rather hear what "sufi persuasion" means from a civil fellow such as yourself.

3- I believe the reason for my good deeds is the human inclination towards good.

I also belief that humans have an inclination towards good :-)

4- I believe the reason for my bad is my own (taking responsibility) weakness, sometimes influenced by manipulated desire. My faith gives me a procedure for my own redemption in this life, and a path to correction for things I've done through repentance, and desire to change.

Interesting. So, (and please correct me if I am wrong), you do good deeds because you want to do good. And if you do bad deeds, you use your faith as a "procedure" so you have a path towards correction?

i.e. it seems like you use your religion to kind of correct yourself if your in a "bad path" and when you do good, it's to do good.

Is this correct?

5- I believe all deeds that have a positive effect on the people around you are good. And all deeds that have the opposite effect are bad. Through my own personal study of Islam, I believe that your deeds are labeled by the effect they have on our collective energy as a human family (i.e positive, negative energy).

Can you expand on this? In terms of, the effects (positive and negative) that occur to other people, when your doing positive / negative deeds?

Is it an influence type thing?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Your questions are ridiculous. I will answer each of them, with the same↓comment.

It is entirely dependent upon the specific circumstances of the situation itself. Also it depends on whether or not they are even willing to accept the help, but in generalized terms:
If someone needs a helping hand, and if you are capable of providing assistance at that time, then help 'em out.

I pity anyone who actually needs a snippin' book to tell them that.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Confusion42,

I am sorry if you found my sarcasm un-civil. I question any post that starts with "To religious people", sounds like a set up to me. Us versus them, them versus us, whatever. I called you no names and answered your questions. Shouldn't you do the same? At a minimum, wouldn't it be fair to give your answers to your questions? Don't worry about people disagreeing with you, worry about making your point. Do you wish to have a true discussion or one where there is no levity? If you wish to have a thread with no sarcasm then you are bound by the same rules. That means you don't get to ridicule or display sarcasm at what people say that is silly, you are bound by the rules you set for others. Choose the rules.

Dear AQuestion,

This being my thread, and this being my own personal "research project" so to say, please contribute in a civil fashion.

Your "sarcastic" post, was the type of post which can lead the whole thread into a slippery slope in terms of civil discussion. Please read other's responses, and my responses to them.

At a minimum, wouldn't it be fair to give your answers to your questions?

Only if your able to participate in a civil fashion.

Don't worry about people disagreeing with you, worry about making your point.

Please do not change the topic of my thread. Do not tell me to make a point. Do not tell me what to worry or not worry about.

Do not tell me what the terms of my own thread are. I can see that, from the get go, you have an agenda. Read my original post. In case you missed it, the only point I am trying to make, is that I want to learn more about different religions, and how people use religion (or do not use religion) in terms of good deeds and bad deeds.

Do you wish to have a true discussion or one where there is no levity? If you wish to have a thread with no sarcasm then you are bound by the same rules. That means you don't get to ridicule or display sarcasm at what people say that is silly, you are bound by the rules you set for others. Choose the rules.

The rules of the thread are in the Original Post.

If you wish you contribute to this thread, please do so in the manner described in the original post.

Thank you.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Your questions are ridiculous. I will answer each of them, with the same↓comment.

It is entirely dependent upon the specific circumstances of the situation itself. Also it depends on whether or not they are even willing to accept the help, but in generalized terms:
If someone needs a helping hand, and if you are capable of providing assistance at that time, then help 'em out.

I pity anyone who actually needs a snippin' book to tell them that.

Hello BrokenCircles,

I am sorry you find this post "ridiculous/" May I ask why you responded if you clearly don't like my original post?

If you would like to participate, please answer the questions. If you need specific circumstances, your welcome to share examples (in general) of situations you've been in, where you did good deeds and / or bad deeds, and how religion applies / applied, (or didn't apply) in your decision making.

Edit: Yes, I agree it's a pity if people need a book to tell them right from wrong. But, such a statement can lead to a slippery slope in terms of derailing a thread off topic (and off civil).

edit on 22-5-2012 by Confusion42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
People who follow religion should be “good”, in that they should have an outlook which is based on compassion and empathy for their fellow man – treating people like they expect to be treated. I think that is largely the case, whether people are religious, or not and this compassion is manifest in e.g. charitable giving, help for family and friends etc and this type of behaviour is repeatedly highlighted in the Bible, for example.

IMO there is a tendency for people who are purport to be religious to become so bent on the exactitude of the “word” or their interpretation of the “word” that they slide away from the basic tenants and core values common to all religions and in so doing become the opposite of what they think they are. If there is a God, then these people are usually unwittingly consigning themselves to hell!

There are numerous examples, but range from the those nice chaps from movements like Westboro Baptist Church who cause so much grief through to Islamist extremists who think it’s somehow right to blow unbelievers up.

Regards

How about you specifically? (If I may ask)?

Why do you do good deeds, and why do you do bad deeds (define "good" and "bad" deeds as you please).

And how does religion apply, and / or not apply?

If it is ok with you, I would like to hear personal experiences and such. Thank you.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

I hate religion with a passion, in fact I'm pretty sure I have zero religious friends. I am a firm believer in God, and am what you would call a "Christian", yet I am very much against religion.

Can you explain, in your own words, how you can be a "firm believer in God," yet also be "very much against religion."?

The Bible is the infallible Word of God, inspired by Him and written by over 40 different authors, human authors. I pray whenever I think to God, because simply talking to God is praying. I hardly ever go to "Church" the building, but whenever I gather with other Saints, it is considered Church, which I do quite often.

Um, ok. I appreciate your honesty in answering; I will keep my word from the Original Post, and keep this post civil.

I do not do any good deeds because of my will to do so, anything that I do that is "good" comes from God. It is not done because of anything that tells me to, it is done out of a newly acquired nature I attained - God's nature. I do "good", because it is God who influences me to do so.

I will try to ask this as nicely as possible.

Are you saying the only reason you do good things is because the Bible says so?

And how about the bad things in the Bible?

All of my bad deeds comes from my own personal nature. Whether I sin because I'm a sinner, or I'm a sinner because I sin, is unimportant. I still sin. I'm still a sinner. I can attribute all of my "bad deeds" to my own nature, my own selfish desires, my own lusts. Thankfully, I don't have much of an attention left from my old nature when I got saved 2 years ago at the age of 17.

So when you do good, it is because of the Bible. When you do bad, it is because of your own nature?

Is this correct? If this is correct (if not, pelase let me know);

At what point does the Bible become an excuse? Why not do good deeds on your own will?

I think I described them fairly well already. Good comes from the Father, Evil comes from our own selfishness, or if you'd like, from Satan.

(correct me if I am wrong), but doesn't the Bible say that God created Evil / Satan? So, wouldn't it be true (according the Bible, again, correct me if I am wrong), that God and Evil all comes from God; And because you take The Bible as the infallible word of God, does this not make it so that all responsibily of your actions (good or bad) you can simply attribute to a book?

If you where to find a tribe, let's say in the amazon river. Newly discovered tribe of people. They never ever heard of the Bible, or Christ, etc.

How would you explain their behaviors (good and bad)?

In other words, for civilizations / tribes whom have never heard of the Bible or Christ, etc., how do you attribute their good / bad behaviors?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I am a self proclaimed crayon. Though I cannot divulge my color alone I am responsible for may things, I have been brought up as a crayon, and have followed the crayon rules. I am part of everyone, as yes, my colors are shared and admired by all, but in all actuality I am a crayon that differs from the rest.

I know of a yellow crayon and though we share the same box, we cannot contribute the same things, they can only be yellow, and me another color.

In my box, I am not as the others, yet I can be one in the same if someone uses various colors with me, and we can all be quite beautiful. I am aware that I was made to be part of individuality, and yet part of a group. Am I any more important than you?

This is my 2 cents, take it as you will

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Ha..people actually answered this question.... dumbbbb

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

I am sorry you find this post "ridiculous/" May I ask why you responded if you clearly don't like my original post?
It is the entire idea that is ridiculous. You shouldn't need a reason to do a good deed, just like I don't need a reason to respond.

[color=BCFFBA]As far I'm concerned, if you need some sort of an outside reason, then the action was done for an additional personal gain, and was not actually a good deed after all.

edit on 5/22/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

reply to post by Lionhearte

Can you explain, in your own words, how you can be a "firm believer in God," yet also be "very much against religion."?
Sure. I actually have a personal relationship with my God, not with a set of rules. I have a special hatred for certain doctrines and I very much believe that religion was the start of, well, nearly every war.

To put it in another person's words, check this out.

I will try to ask this as nicely as possible.

Are you saying the only reason you do good things is because the Bible says so?

And how about the bad things in the Bible?

Put it this way. Have you ever been in a relationship? Say, with a significant other? When you meet that special someone, you're going to want to please them, you're going to want to do anything they want, even if drives you insane, you'll still want to make them happy.

That's how I am with God. He's my influence, and so, yes, my "good deeds" are a result of me wanting to please God. The Bible says to do a lot of things, and not to do a lot of things. I break these rules all the time, and do things God doesn't like, and do things He does like, most of the time when I don't even thinking about it or realize until after-the-fact.

So when you do good, it is because of the Bible. When you do bad, it is because of your own nature?

Is this correct? If this is correct (if not, pelase let me know);

At what point does the Bible become an excuse? Why not do good deeds on your own will?

When I do good, it is because of God, or simply because of Love - something God has shown me. Agape. If I do something kind, it's because I was shown kindness in return (from God). When I do bad, it is my old nature latching on. Habits. Addictions. Lusts. I do good deeds out of my own will, but if it wasn't for God, I wouldn't be doing them in the first place. If this does not make sense, I will try to simplify it even further.

And if I may ask, what do you mean, "an excuse"?

(correct me if I am wrong), but doesn't the Bible say that God created Evil / Satan? So, wouldn't it be true (according the Bible, again, correct me if I am wrong), that God and Evil all comes from God; And because you take The Bible as the infallible word of God, does this not make it so that all responsibily of your actions (good or bad) you can simply attribute to a book?

Evil is simply the polar opposite of God's nature. If you would like, it is an absence of God, the same way cold is the absence of Heat, and darkness the absence of light. God is the creator of all things, but that does not make Him that which He creates.

If you where to find a tribe, let's say in the amazon river. Newly discovered tribe of people. They never ever heard of the Bible, or Christ, etc.

How would you explain their behaviors (good and bad)?

In other words, for civilizations / tribes whom have never heard of the Bible or Christ, etc., how do you attribute their good / bad behaviors?

While there are most likely no tribes that exist like this today, I see what your analogy as, so here is my response - first off, you'd have to define what "good" and "bad" is. Even most "good deeds" are an extension of someone's own self-righteousness, which is prideful. I simply believe each and every person chases after their own lusts, desires, etc. However, this imaginary tribe of people may do things that one would consider wrong nearly all over there world, which is actually most often the case, how would you explain that? There exists a certain "basis" for moral law all around the world.

I'll give you an example. Say 20 people, 17 males and 3 females survived a plane crash out on a tropical island. Several days went by, then weeks, then months. No one was coming to rescue them anytime soon. Eventually, they decided to set up some rules, all established by majority vote. One of them proposed this "law" - That the men could have sex with the women whenever they wanted. 17 votes yes, 3 vote no. Majority rules.

Tell me, what, in your opinion, makes this morally good? Majority agrees, after all.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

1- So by Pagan, does this just mean you have kind of your own belief system, and Christian's would call you a pagan?

Basically. Also, it's a wide umbrella that fits with the weird eclectic thing I have going on.

2- I take it that you have developed your own kind of belief system that fits you?

Yes.

3- This is a very interesting answer. So, LOVE; Your partner loves you, and you want to spread the love?

Whatever keeps him happy, safe, and alive I will do. Having to play nice to keep him happy when I'm really more dark and dank by nature is a small compromise to make for such love.

4- Interesting. I see you take responsibility for your actions; You believe in Karma (as do I) ; And good / bad deeds aren't dependent on religion (correct me if I am wrong). Your answers are interesting.

Good/bad isn't based on my religion at all, so you're right.

5- Agreed.

edit on 22-5-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join