Bipartisan Congressional Bill Would Authorize the Use of Propaganda On Americans

page: 1

join

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
(Apologies if already posted, search yielded no results)

An amendment that would legalize the use of propaganda on American audiences is being inserted into the latest defense authorization bill….

I can't imagine many here believed we were being told the truth by our government at all times, but now the use propaganda against Americans could be codified into law and made completely legal:

www.washingtonsblog.com... banning-propaganda-ties-the-hands-of-americas-diplomatic-officials-mil.html

The amendment would “strike the current ban on domestic dissemination” of propaganda material produced by the State Department and the Pentagon, according to the summary of the law at the House Rules Committee’s official website.

The tweak to the bill would essentially neutralize two previous acts—the Smith-Mundt Act of 1948 and Foreign Relations Authorization Act in 1987—that had been passed to protect U.S. audiences from our own government’s misinformation campaigns.

Personally, I don't like the idea of overturning previously established protections against the use of outright propaganda against Americans by our own government. You would think such a thing would garner a bit of attention...

In a little noticed press release earlier in the week — buried beneath the other high-profile issues in the $642 billion defense bill, including indefinite detention and a prohibition on gay marriage at military installations — Thornberry warned that in the Internet age, the current law “ties the hands of America’s diplomatic officials, military, and others by inhibiting our ability to effectively communicate in a credible way.”

The bill’s supporters say the informational material used overseas to influence foreign audiences is too good to not use at home, and that new techniques are needed to help fight Al-Qaeda, a borderless enemy whose own propaganda reaches Americans online.

Critics of the bill say there are ways to keep America safe without turning the massive information operations apparatus within the federal government against American citizens.

I'm with the critics on this one; no need for lies to get our way or to remain "safe."

The new law would give sweeping powers to the State Department and Pentagon to push television, radio, newspaper, and social media onto the U.S. public. “It removes the protection for Americans,” says a Pentagon official who is concerned about the law. “It removes oversight from the people who want to put out this information. There are no checks and balances. No one knows if the information is accurate, partially accurate, or entirely false.”

According to this official, “senior public affairs” officers within the Department of Defense want to “get rid” of Smith-Mundt and other restrictions because it prevents information activities designed to prop up unpopular policies—like the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Doesn't sound like the actions of a free and open society, in my opinion. Not that I was convinced we were living in one beforehand.

The linked article reveals good information, and I would suggest reading it if you are at all interested in this development. I find it more than a little scary, myself.

www.washingtonsblog.com... banning-propaganda-ties-the-hands-of-americas-diplomatic-officials-mil.html
edit on 22-5-2012 by VariableConstant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
ITS ALREADY USED. WTF.. ohh its now public aproach?? grr

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowreborn89
ITS ALREADY USED. WTF.. ohh its now public aproach?? grr

Yes, already been in action, only now it's official. No more restrictions or worries about repercussions.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
As I recall, following 9/11, George Bush stated that the government would begin a misinformation campaign.
Anybody else recall him saying that?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

Funny how the only ones who notice things like this are people like us---who already know we're being lied to on a continual basis. This news will never reach the ones most affected by it: The very people who will not believe that evil conspiracies are being carried out beyond their hermetically sealed world.

The government has no reason to keep this secret; there's no reason for these laws not to be public record--which, of course, they are. I could point the damn thing out to 150 people, and not get any more than a shrug.

Well--you wanted to be awake. How do you like it now?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Propaganda goes great with that glossy glazed look in their eyes as they stare at the idiot box waiting for instructions and what to believe next.

I think it's already too late for the majority. Those of us who choose to not participate in this insanity should all chip in and buy ourselves a remote island somewhere. Somewhere that Monsanto hasn't gotten to yet.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
As I recall, following 9/11, George Bush stated that the government would begin a misinformation campaign.
Anybody else recall him saying that?

I can't remember him actually saying that. However, a Google search will turn up more hits than you would ever want to follow up on about their actual disinformation campaigns.

Here's just one example:
SourceWatch: Bush administration propaganda and disonformation

You may be thinking of Hillary's "We are losing the information war"
Aotearoa: A Wider Perspective (Link also has her "We created al-Qaeda" performance.)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Yah so lying to us for years has been ok with them. Now what they are saying is that is Really ok to lie, cause they are letting us know in advance now! LOL!! WTF!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Um.......

We're already propagandized. Our entire lives. TV commercials targetted at children are one form for some slight perspective.

Every time they use a euphamism term to downplay the realities of something its propaganda. Every time they leave out key pieces of intel when covering an event or story (that would piss people off towards the .gov) it is as well. Every commercial to join the military = propaganda. Every governMental agency pushing environMENTALISM = propaganda. Free PC wargames like American's Army = propaganda (by their own admissions). Hillary Clinton not willing to admit Walmart hurts local busniesses and economies is propaganda.

It actually goes much much deeper into the very core of our understanding of what this nation actually is and what they mean when they refer to "freedom".

"Freedom" = Imperialism: It's in the Language

Although I must say the propaganda of the past is pretty remarkable (and entertaining!):

CLEAN UP YOUR HOUSE OR DIE!!!!

edit on 22-5-2012 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
this has more implications than one would think at first,
now this has been brought up on a more public scale it allows for the already existing disinfo ents (computers), to become more credible as they have existed before this, and hence can backup new ents, i do not believe in paid shrills on the internet, only in life... (only in early days of the net were paid spam debunkers)

operation download the internet, is aimed to uncover this, and many more things over 9 years in progress... you herd it here first(from me right now)

goal: truth, and transparency

how they are getting there
note* this bit will be hard to believe but just take solace in the hope it may be happening)(no need to debate)
[in short][very short](in relation to ents)
15-25 operating cells all responsible for similar tasks.
3d programming, hacking, and data logging.
3d logging of traces of evidence, (forming trees) to make it easier to read.
disinfo of there own, to mask movements.
upon completion of the mission, disclosure... MASS disclosure
complete hijacking of all satellites.
nothing other than the findings will be available, (other than the programs to read particular files)
new, new world order will follow.
Eden
Eden
Eden
Eden
Eden
Eden
Eden
Eden
Eden
......................................................................................................................................................

take as you will

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Propaganda? What do you call this Halo live action show (Forward Unto Dawn,) that just came out? Hmmmm???

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
-In your article..

"Critics of the bill point out that there was rigorous debate when Smith Mundt passed, and the fact that this is so “under the radar,” as the Pentagon official puts it, is troubling."

Damn right it is.

They want to control our information because we are catching onto their BS.

They are telling people they no longer have the freedom to information. Information that they are supposed to have in order to make proper changes in the management of our country.

They are selling America out to these snakes. And people wont know it took place until they start seeing more stories about unicorns in the newspaper.

Bi-Partisan= We are getting screwed again by both the republican and democratic leadership.
The two party corporation who runs a monopoly on our countries decisions.

.....whores

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SyxDaliGee

Pretty much. "We know, you know we are liars. But to make it right we will tell you that we are liars. We know what we are doing, trust us"

I have finally woke up in this world. Looked around and popped a cyanid pill and shut my eyes. Welcome to earth.

I can't wait until the dam breaks and all these secrets pour out like a arterial guisyer. Sad part is 99% would say "who cares?" when they were just told that most of the food at the store causes cancer.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

(dont intentionally mean to interupt) ...but..People like the chaos. Its all we know. Too weak and dumb to change. Thousands of years of adapting and evolving, yet we act as if it is all brand new each and every day.

People get bored- and their handlers give them entertainment.
Oprah.

They think we cant evolve on our own without leadership. I think everyone should be their own leader.
They should never get the wrong information ever. Thats how conspiracies get made =)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Amendment or not, TPTB have been pushing propaganda at We the People since the end of WW2, make no mistake about it. I remember the Atom Bomb drills in the 60s, as if crouching beneath your school desk would do any good.
Viet Nam was all about propaganda, and you can't tell me the recent TV political adds are not propaganda. They are just making it legal, that's all.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Many of you are asking if it's not propaganda that's on the news right now. You have to be pretty stupid to believe the lies coming from American television news. And, there has been much government cooperation in making those news.

But, what if the new laws regarding propaganda has a more sinister ring to them? What if the real intention with these law is preventing the public officials in their work? That people can be arrested when they call BS on lies coming from the state?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
"Don't by gold", "Israel is your friend", "God exists".

I'm guessing they will have posters along the lines of those above.
Pure, evil, propaganda.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reading the article in the op, it makes me think this type of propaganda is coming our way.

i want to know more !

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I absolutely agree with you. It had been happening all along, at least in our lifetimes.

The thing that troubled me the most is that it is now 100% legal and sanctioned.

They can feed us any made-up story, idea, or version of events, and it's all legitimate. Scary times.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Starship Troopers is a good example of propaganda at work. It was meant to be a cautionary tale.

Sally we are now living it.

top topics

join