It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birth rates around the world: More developed Countries have less babies.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
So, as the title says, our planets population is currently having trouble sustaining itself. In Australia we have been constantly talking about an aging population, but never in a serious way. Things like, we'll need a larger print on the newspaper and clearer road signs etc, but these statements are totally missing the point. Who is going to care for the population if everyone is too old and too frail to take of themselves.

CIA Factbook-birth rate
Wikipedia: Estimation of births per 1000 from 2010-2015

These two lists are showing that the more wealthy nations are lacking children. It may not be felt now, or in 20 years but at some point in the next century there will be a shortage of of kids from developed nations. The ones going through economic turmoil are already affected by it. Italy, Spain, Greece and Portugal are all ranked very low on the list already. Germany is also there too, despite there good financial health.

Continuing a 12-year decline, the U.S. birth rate has dropped to the lowest level since national data have been available, according to statistics just released by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The rate of births among teenagers also fell to a new record low, continuing a decline that began in 1991.

U.S. Birth Rate Hits All-Time Low

Elsewhere in the world's second-largest economy, the situation is similarly worrying. The national birthrate in 2008 was 1.37 children per woman -- up from a record low of 1.26 in 2005, but still nowhere near what the country needs to replenish its population. If current trends continue, Japan's population will fall to 95 million by 2050, from about 127 million now.

Japan's low birth rate poses demographic dilemma
Declining Birth Rates Raising Concerns in Asia

At the same time, low fertility is accelerating the ageing of European populations. As a region, Europe in 2000 had the highest percentage of people age 65 or older — 15 percent. According to data from the U.S. Bureau of the Census, this percentage is expected to nearly double by 2050.

These demographic trends portend difficult times ahead for European economies. For example, a shrinking workforce can reduce productivity. At the same time, the growing proportion of elderly individuals threatens the solvency of pension and social insurance systems. As household sizes decrease, the ability to care for the elderly diminishes. Meanwhile, elderly people face growing health care needs and costs. Taken together, these developments could pose significant barriers to achieving the European Union (EU) goals of full employment, economic growth, and social cohesion.

Population Implosion? Low Fertility and Policy Responses in the European Union

In recent years, Chinese demographers have become increasingly vocal in pushing for an end to the one-child policy, which was adopted in 1980. Among their concerns is the large increase in older residents. The census found 13.3% of China's population is over 60—some 2.9 percentage points higher than in 2000. Also worrying is a deepening imbalance in the sex ratio at birth, which rose from 116.9 boys per 100 girls in 2000 to 118.1 boys per 100 girls.

Declining Chinese Birth Rate Could Doom One-Child Policy

The average UK-born woman has 1.84 children – an increase of 10% in just four years – while women living here who were born abroad have about 2.5 children. The ONS figures show that nearly a quarter of babies in England and Wales in 2008 were born to mothers who came from outside the UK, most commonly women from Pakistan, Poland and India.
Birth rate pushes UK population to greatest increase in almost 50 years

In the past Australia was a relatively youthful country. In 1970-71, 31 per cent of the population was aged 15 years or younger, while by 2001-02 this proportion had dropped to 22 per cent. The proportion of Australia’s population aged over 65 years has grown from 8 per cent in 1970-71 to 13 per cent in 2001-02. The IGR projects that over the next 40 years, the proportion of the population over 65 years will almost double to around 25 per cent. At the same time, growth in the population of traditional workforce age is expected to slow to almost zero. This is a permanent change. Barring an unprecedented change in fertility rates, the age structure of the population is likely to stabilise with a far higher proportion of older Australians.

Australia's Demographic Challenges

A good article is History’s mysteries: Why do birth rates decrease when societies modernize?. It explains a few theories on how we have dug this hole, including the kin influence(I am not sure if everyone can access that link- I am on a university network)

While some of those links may be outdated, they all still paint the same picture: we cannot sustain our current populations with the low birth rate. Either technological/medical advances are going to need to be made to help keep an aging workforce productive or there is going to need to be a drastic revolution regarding a suitable workforce. Realistically, more and more people will need to be caring for the sick, leading to construction of hospitals, nursing homes and other care facilities. More medicines/pharmaceuticals (however misleading they are), transport and many other issues need to be faced.

Many of the cultures with low birthrates support monogamy, while in many parts of the world it is common to have multiple wives. With all of our uncertainty regarding man-made and natural disasters, wars and economic trouble, white people may become minorities in their 'own' countries. While the death rate is low currently, one cannot expect it to stay strong with aging populations. Counter arguments of the population is still growing cannot hold substance when in 50 years many nations will have more people over 65 or more.

Africa, on the other hand is another whole can of beans. Many children are born but many also die. Cultural traditions, among civil wars and other barbaric events are taking just as many children. Medical issues are never ending as well as a food shortage and growing tension over natural resources.

Can anyone tell me where in the world one can find a place without a conflict? Seriously, WW3 might as well get underway before we all are old folks fighting like this

Edit: Fight starts at 3:50

edit on 21/5/2012 by BigBruddah because: fixing youtube

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I think a lower birth rate is due to our quality of life.. Kids in America, well a lot of them can go to college now. Even if that lands them no where but debt, they get to explore and may not want kids. People in poorer areas? Building a family is probably about the only feasible goal you can have unless you want to spend your life in travel or in some sort of religious practice.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Yeah well, I think a lot of people want to pursue other goals, before settling down for children. Travel, studies, work commitments are all seen as more important. What many people don't realise is that once you are past 30 your body is lowering its chances of getting pregnant. Many instances of family life are also shown as boring on tv shows and films. No one wants to be portrayed as just being a family man or a house wife. Its a shame when people feel that they have to do more than that because of social stigmas.

In other cases the influences I spoke about affect the amount of children born, such as cultural, economic and social influences.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
For every serious story there is a little humor.
I was a good reproducer until,
a Doctor and my Testicles,
Tied the Knot!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Flother

Yeah there is some truth behind, that but no one has so far addressed how we are going to rectify this problem (besides time travel). I believe this issue is very big and there are many many conspiracies involved with it, yet so far there have been few serious replies to this thread.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

My first thought after I read your OP was the availability of birth control, abortion and what American gov't likes to call "planned parenthood." As a mother of a 21 yr old and a 3 yr old, I couldn't afford to have more and the second was a surprise but studies have shown that it can take upwards of $250k to raise a child through high school and that is low balling the numbers.

If you are to place on your ATS hat, common belief would be indoctrination of population control through sex education in the US public schools as well as the availability of birth control for the younger sexually active generations. Plus ObamaCare is doubling down and insisting that religious run educational institutions provide contraception and he is definitely not winning over Catholic Nuns & Priests running their school systems where many provide healthcare as well.

Lastly - forgive me I can't recall if the OP stated but doesn't China only allow for one child per family due to over population? Blatant population control and I am sure it is only a matter of time before the US gov't starts spaying and neutering its' sheople before long because of the "unpure" bloodlines until they are need of sheople to be kettled for the purposes of their wallets and their personal lifestyles.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mcsandy

My first thought after I read your OP was the availability of birth control, abortion and what American gov't likes to call "planned parenthood." As a mother of a 21 yr old and a 3 yr old, I couldn't afford to have more and the second was a surprise but studies have shown that it can take upwards of $250k to raise a child through high school and that is low balling the numbers.

Throughout history it has always been difficult to find the resources to raise a child. Babies have no use throughout history but cavemen still had children even though the baby couldn't help hunt or gather anything.

If you are to place on your ATS hat, common belief would be indoctrination of population control through sex education in the US public schools as well as the availability of birth control for the younger sexually active generations. Plus ObamaCare is doubling down and insisting that religious run educational institutions provide contraception and he is definitely not winning over Catholic Nuns & Priests running their school systems where many provide healthcare as well.

This is a good point- one of the conspiracies i meant to include, where the government is trying to lower the population to control it more easily through the use of many covert operations. Some believe chem-trails are responsible, as well as vaccinations or even additives to the water, make your own mind up.

Lastly - forgive me I can't recall if the OP stated but doesn't China only allow for one child per family due to over population? Blatant population control and I am sure it is only a matter of time before the US gov't starts spaying and neutering its' sheople before long because of the "unpure" bloodlines until they are need of sheople to be kettled for the purposes of their wallets and their personal lifestyles.

If you read the link i provided with it, they are actually thinking of abolishing the one child policy due to the problems that were bound to happen. There is also a poor gender ratio amongst births.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
reply to post by Flother

Yeah there is some truth behind, that but no one has so far addressed how we are going to rectify this problem (besides time travel). I believe this issue is very big and there are many many conspiracies involved with it, yet so far there have been few serious replies to this thread.

The movie is (supposedly, and partially) funny, but my answer was serious as just quoting it.

I for one do think that western democracies soon will have to politically address such a civilizational issue your OP so rightfullly evokes, mainly through State programs meant to promote by all ways an healthy fertility rate (that is : more than 2 children per couple, but hopefully more than that). The current declining trend still could be reversed, but it should begin, and quickly, through massive communication campaigns and significant welfares allowed to families in order to help'em sustaining their children rise and education.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Flother

Yeah they need to do more to help families, giving tax breaks and other financial bonuses are good, but they can't make it too easy for bums who want to bludge off the government either. There is a fine line and they must act carefully.

new topics

top topics

join