It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M.I.A.'s "Bad Girls": Are they telling us where the money is going? (Analysis)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Link to video is below:

I posted this in the War on Terror forum because the message conveyed in the music video certainly has to do with the war on terror. I ask if you could watch the video and tell me your thoughts.

Here is a list of what I observed:
The text used to name the artist and the song looks like the font used in showing translations.
It is bare and desolate with Arabic garb, Arab peninsula.
I noticed, when she was driving in the car: we have excessive materalism mashed with desolation and alienation. The car's apholstery looks like a bunch of labels, she is dressed flamboyantly, for wealth. Then you zoom out and see dirty cars on a dirty road.
The chorus, "live hard die young bad girls do it well" is a message that speaks volumes by itself.
Then, I see pipes stacked on the ground next to the road, alluding to either a water or oil line (I'm assuming the latter).
The whole song is them playing with their cars and marching forward with their hands held in the air.
From all of this I believe that a message is certainly being conveyed.
It's like the people behind this are playing a joke on anyone who isn't noticing:
They're showing the elite in this area, what we're doing there: the pipeline (its about oil); and where all our efforts are going: into the hands of the already wealthy, and just as equally childish and morally backwards, ELITE that is just partying it away. These are my thoughts, I would appreciate yours. I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum. To me it seems to speak to the big picture on the war on terror, where all this time money and effort is going.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 21-5-2012 by Blarghdt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarghdt

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
What caught my attention was the "pale horse."

“And I looked, and behold a pale horse;
and his name that sat on him was
Death, and Hell followed with him. And
power was given unto them over the
fourth part of the earth, to kill with
sword, and with hunger, and with
death, and with the beasts of the earth”.
-Revelation 6:7-8

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Well, I have to admit that was actually a cool song. Never heard of her. Also I thought the video was bad a$$ especially those with the cars man. That was just cool and awesome.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I don't know, I guess it could be a veiled message, the "music" and movie industries are good for that sort of thing. Why pick what by all accounts seems to be somewhere in the Middle East for a video such as this? Is this behavior prominent in ME societies? Is not this genre known for this sort of message? Hip-hop seems to me the shallowest form of music, so it comes as no surprise that they would show this type of imagery in their videos. The world of popular music these days seems to be all about making money and presenting an image of intellectual decay and hedonism. Sad, really. Here's some music about the decline of music:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If Saudia Arabia was only that cool in real life. I guess it might be if you're a prince and male.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

Pretty sure it's just an Arabian horse that is pretty dark in color, not pale at all.

The proto-Arabian horse may have been domesticated by the people of the Arabian peninsula known today as the Bedouin, some time after they learned to use the camel, approximately 4,000–5,000 years ago.[76][77] Other scholars, noting that horses were common in the Fertile Crescent but rare in the Arabian peninsula prior to the rise of Islam, theorize that the breed as it is known today only developed in large numbers when the conversion of the Persians to Islam in the 7th century brought knowledge of horse breeding and horsemanship to the Bedouin.[78]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

www.pyramidarabians.com...

as you can clearly see, Arabians come in all colors, the one shown in the video is a grey. Beautiful horses, I used to have one once upon a time.

but, for the elite in ME countries there is car racing, horse racing, pretty much anything goes alcohol included. Those laws were not written for them.

All that to say, this video is meant to degrade the ME people, and not for any other reason. Plus, there is not one middle easterner in those videos. It is meant to tell you that you life and lifestyle is better than theirs. It makes fun of everything, the women, the men, even the horses!
edit on 21-5-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I was embarassed by the song and the video. I guess we all like different things. Really, that was bad.

CJ

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
But what really struck me was the pipes! It's like they're saying: NOTHING IS GETTING DONE HERE, WE'RE JUST F*CKING AROUND. [/caps]

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

How can a user named "Manhater" not have a problem with this song? Just say'n girl.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
That was terrible. The lyrics and the environment depicted in the "song" had absolutely NO correlation to each other whatsoever. If this is what the corporate media giants are promoting as "talent", then it's no wonder the recording industry is going to hell in a handbasket! The edits of her "performance" were blinding.
Wow...and not in a good way at all.

new topics

top topics

join