UN to Control World’s Information and Communications From Internet Hub in Africa

page: 1

join

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This is a good read and has some verifiable sources. I'm not completely sold on the internet hub thing, but another article does mention the international Telecommunications Union and it's potential to expand it's mandate to cover the internet, as some media reports indicate proposed amendments to the ITR Treaty.

eff.org

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) will hold the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT-12) in December in Dubai, an all-important treaty-writing event where ITU Member States will discuss the proposed revisions to the International Telecommunication Regulations (ITR). The ITU is a United Nations agency responsible for international telecom regulation, a bureaucratic, slow-moving, closed regulatory organization that issues treaty-level provisions for international telecommunication networks and services. The ITR, a legally binding international treaty signed by 178 countries, defines the boundaries of ITU’s regulatory authority and provides "general principles" on international telecommunications. However, media reports indicate that some proposed amendments to the ITR—a negotiation that is already well underway—could potentially expand the ITU’s mandate to encompass the Internet.

Okay now that that's out of the way, we can get on to the original question. This article has some very good sources which are verifiable through other sources. It discusses the current land grab in Africa and it's attraction of corporations interested in it's vast amount of natural resources, all of which fall under the eye of the United Nations (pdf) _/url] "The UN Global Compact and the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises," outlines through “voluntary” means, the UN will implement their international guidelines with respect to corporate conduct, standards and abilities.

This is where it begins to discuss the ITU and an initiative already in progress called the [url=http://www.ska.ac.za/]Ska Project
and it's competitor .

occupycorporatism.com

The ITU is the UN’s information and communication technologies agency. They “allocate global radio spectrum and satellite orbits, develop the technical standards that ensure networks and technologies seamlessly interconnect, and strive to improve access to ICTs to underserved communities worldwide.” By whatever means necessary, their goal is to facilitate the flow of communication; which is completely under their dominion.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Daedal because: Fixed it

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This story, perhaps...

link

Under careful control, the UN has planned to create an Africa that will become not only the food center of the world, but also the single processor of the world’s communications.
The ICT Sector Unit, a department of the World Bank, has plans to turn Africa into a centralized internet epicenter where the flow of information and communications are under UN governance.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Alright I blundered, but it's fixed.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but this is a bad idea all around.

Especially in terms of warfare. One good strike with a nuke or heavy artillery could wipe out the internet and people would be hurting.

I'm sorry, no.

Never put all your eggs in one basket.

And it also looks like the UN is trying to become the dominant imperial superpower on the planet.

Hmmmmm.... ze plot, eet theeckens.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The article at occupycorporatism is a hodgepodge of a collection of (not all) UN related activities, most of which have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with each other.

- The SKA (square kilometer array), for example, is an astronomical radio telescope tool thats been proposed since the early 1990's, up to bids from many countries to locate it, including Australia.
- The start of the article refers to the 4th meeting of the Africa Carbon Forum.
- The middle of the article refers to activities of the ICT Sector Unit.
- Other parts of the article refer variously to mining, agriculture, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and several other unrelated projects.

So... what exactly was your question?

And more importantly, why would anyone write such poor journalism that makes no coherent point whatsoever?
Its like "here's some stuff about Africa"...

edit on 21-5-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Pardon the poor "journalism" I am still learning.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
Pardon the poor "journalism" I am still learning.

No, I didnt mean you, I meant Susanne Posel at Occupy Corporatism.

For example, she writes, about the location of the Square Kilometer Array telescope as if it has been decided that Africa is the chosen location because the UN want to rule the world from there.
Having followed this project closely, I can say this is simply not so.
On May 25, the panel will meet yet again, announce a result in June, and according to gossip one likely outcome is that BOTH finalists (Australia and Africa) will be chosen to construct parts.
And the killer is that the SKA organisation doesnt even have anything to do with the UN whatsoever!

The occupycorporatism article is a simplistic misrepresentation.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I call hoax.
The SKA is not going to happen in Africa, ever. The reason is curiously that even though fibre optic exists, the national telecomm company is incapable of installing it, never mind maintaining it.

Last i heard australia seemed the most likely.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
One thing Im going to tell you for certain is this:

The last place on EARTH, the major countries are going to let control of worldwide communications and half the worlds financial trade take place from, is in Africa.....it will never happen in any of our lifetimes.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The UN is rearing its ugly head again!

The House of Representatives sends a message to the Obama administration and to the ITU on what the U.S. position must be at upcoming world conference Positions are hardening with three months to go before the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) meets in Dubai to possibly re-write a U.N. treaty governing the Internet. Earlier this week the head of the U.S. delegation said his country and its allies must fight proposals to extract carrier transmission fees and censor Web content. According to this report, that was buttressed Thursday when the U.S. House of Representatives voted unanimously to tell the Obama administration its position should be to "promote a global Internet free from government control." Congress to ITU: Hands off the Internet
By: Howard Solomon On: 03 Aug 2012 For: ComputerWorld Canada Creator

What is it with the UN?! First they criticize our 2A rights and push for UN control and regulations over small arms ownership......and NOW it looks like they want to control information networks.

I see a 4th Amendment debate on the horizon, because once government controls the channels of information, Pandora's Box has been opened.

Is it time to tell the UN to kiss off and butt out! IMO, they are a wolf in sheep's clothing.

edit on 3-8-2012 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

You know how many scams there will be.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Check this out in order to get more information regarding the ITU, the articles & documents are inside the link:

Possible Internet Take Over By The ITU (UN) [HD] :

www.youtube.com...

top topics

join