It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email and BBS by radio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I just got this thing on Ebay. New they cost $400, this is an old one, just as good though.

Device is a TNC, terminal node controller. Link to a new one here New TNC

Can be used to make a BBS or send and received email by radio.

Small sail boats use this for email Sailmail

And amateur radio operators have their own net here www.winlink.org...

Need to make cables for it and figure out how it works...
edit on 21-5-2012 by kawika because: added link

edit on 21-5-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
That is awesome!

Looking into it now. I researched it a bit in the past. I have always wondered about ham and rf data.

Let me know how it works, or if you need help with cables. Im going to dig in tomorrow when i have some free time.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

These things are great! However, they've got just as many uses as they do limitations. The amateur radio service does need a license although I can tell you they're not challenging if you've got an interest or a background in the hobby.

I'm curious, what sort of mileage are you expecting from this unit? Have you already got plans for it, or is it completely new to you? I haven't messed with the physical TNC yet, but I've use software TNCs before. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it once you get it running!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
The amateur radio service does need a license although I can tell you they're not challenging if you've got an interest or a background in the hobby.

You sit a test? My old man was into UHF many years ago, .. hell almost 20 now since he's been dead, but all he had to do was pay $30 a year or something to maintain his licence, never heard of a test, and I know uhf were strict with regulations... not so sure about HAM at the time, but he knew a few guys.

Didn't know that..

I love the idea of a bare bones basice communication setup like this too, we rely far too much on modern devices to get us by, but should they/when they fail or are shut down, it would be absolutely necessary to have something like this.

I'm still sure there is a decent way to utilise wifi, in a community scale. Since I can see at least 3-4 neighbours in my wifi grid, and using my mobile, I can see I'm within range of so many others for a great distance.. if these devices had a shared communication.. it'd work well. I mean, as it is I can send a message to all my nieghbours.. Just change my ssid to "Hey_Suckers!!!" and they'll know it's that ugly bastard up the road.. haha

edit on 21-5-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I have been trying to recall... but I believe that UHF is easier to trace to exact location that VHF.. due to VHF being usually relayed through a booster or automated repeater. I do know for sure that FCC Field Engieneers have the equipment to triangulate your exact location when you transmit with either and you can be damn sure other govt agencies have the capability.

Justa FYI... KWIM?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

.. Just change my ssid to "Hey_Suckers!!!" and they'll know it's that ugly bastard up the road.. haha

Totally off topic, but changing ssid to "FBI VAN 4" is generally a pretty funny one

second line of input wasn't needed

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45

.. Just change my ssid to "Hey_Suckers!!!" and they'll know it's that ugly bastard up the road.. haha

Totally off topic, but changing ssid to "FBI VAN 4" is generally a pretty funny one

second line of input wasn't needed

Lmao, Done!!! It's been kind of like a twitter status of late, now I shall set it to that (for Aus standards) and have a look at my more nefarious neighbours.

Good tip!!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I am all legal guys. AC8AI

Will hookup on VHF first. It is necessary to first get your email address by radio. Once you get that, in an emergency you can check it on line but I think they mostly expect you to work by radio.

Once I have it working on VHF will try to get it working on HF, longer distance, around the world. Map of packet stations

This device acts as the computer. Still necessary to connect to a radio.

Here is the radio I have for it. HF and everything radio

Also have a 2 meter only radio 2 meter only

The first test is not hard. You can go to www.qrz.com and take a practice test. Find a radio club to give you the test. Cost $14 to take the test. If you take the Technician test, and pass it, they will offer the next level for free. So if you can manage it prep for the next higher level when you go to test.
edit on 22-5-2012 by kawika because: added link

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

UHF and Ham (Amateur radio) Use different bands/frequencies, they require different licenses, and have different rules. I am currently studying for my HAM operator's license. There are also different levels (at least in Canada) of HAM operator's licenses.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

That is great. Have had many QSO's with Canadian stations including one youngster who told me I was the first contact on 20 meters. To describe the frequencies we usually specify the band in meters. But sometimes frequency in MHz is easier. HF is 3 to 30 Mhz and that includes 10 meters, 20 meters, 40 meters and 80 meters. VHF is 30Mhz to 300 Mhz ham bands are140 Mhz (2 meters), 220 Mhz and 440 Mhz. UHF band is 300 Mhz to 3 Ghz.

I actually ordered some Canadian stamps so I could include postage to send back QSL cards.

Look me up at www.qrz.com... AC8AI

Too bad about the cup this year, better luck next year.

edit on 22-5-2012 by kawika because: add text

edit on 22-5-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

LOL, thanks, when I get on air, would e great to make contact and exchange QSL cards. As for the Cup, I am a bit of a outcast or traitor to Canada, as I do not have much time for hockey, unless it is junior or minor, as the NHL is boring, and I hate watching a fight and have a hockey game break out, LOL

ETA: What kind of aerials you use? Yaggi? di-pole? Half or quarter wave? Have you ever done moon bounce? When I do get my license, was thinking VE5RCK or VA5RCK, unless a 5 is available, then VE5RK or VA5RK.
edit on 5/22/2012 by RyanFromCan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

On HF usually 20 meters I have something called a double bazooka.

Kind of a wire dipole but made with big fat coax and the shield is used as stubs, I think. Maybe the center is the stub...

THey sell them here... www.radiowavz.com...

THe great thing about it is the wide bandwidth. It will work over the whole band with no tuning needed. The fatter the antenna in general the wider the bandwidth.

I also have one for 40 meters but it is really big and hard to find a place to hang it up. On the car I have a mount for ham sticks and also a 102 inch stainless stell whip that is great for 10 or 11 meters.

Have not moon bounced but did have a QSO with the space station on 2 meters from the car out in the woods with the scouts.

edit on 22-5-2012 by kawika because: added image

edit on 22-5-2012 by kawika because: added link

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Fantastic stuff!

Hopefully I'll get to contact you at some point once I get on the HF bands. Right now I'm studying for the Extra Exam, and I'll reward myself with a nice HF radio.

In the meantime, while you're working on packet radio I'm busy working on a stealth antenna for my apartment and a nice one for excursions into the outdoors!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Making antennas is fun.

Good luck and have fun.

new topics

top topics

join