It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is there to GAIN from creating a hoax?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk
Many hoaxers were neglected in childhood or even in their adult lives and feel the need to repair that by doing and/or claiming something significant, no matter what it is, even if it's completely false.

You pulled a stat out of someones botty.

You did so!

If what you say were true, then surprise parties are the den of the disillusioned youth, who was never loved and seeks his mothers attention to the neglect of their own life.

I think some people just like making people fall for things. Especially when the outcome is rage. /ragequit in real life is something as ugly as it is funny, in my personal opinion... and I don't hoax. I see the detriment it causes to something I value as an idea.

If you can't see why they do it, I guess it's too easy to deny it happens... or if it does, it's insignificant and easy to dismiss, or in the worst case, deny it is a hoax and accept it as real.

as I said, over 7 billion brains... all thinking... not all good. Some down right nasty.. But even 1 percent of 7 billion is a significant number to contend with.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
It creates confusion. Therefore, the object of a good hoax is not within the (maybe) cleverness of itself, but what damage it does to everything related. The UFO video hoaxes are a good example. If some are hoaxes, they destroy the credibility of all others. Basically, it is a dis- and mis-information practice. Sometimes by a kid playing with Photoshop and sometimes (more than likely) done by paid agents.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk
Notoriety, even if just a few moments of it. Many hoaxers were neglected in childhood or even in their adult lives and feel the need to repair that by doing and/or claiming something significant, no matter what it is, even if it's completely false.

no,no,no...that's why girls become strippers.

I often think about "how" to pull off a hoax....never acted on it. I like flying rc things....lights. camera and youtube and theres your hoax. it's challeging, there is an audience and you can. i'm building a robot now so i dont have the time....
edit on 21-5-2012 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shino

mm... perhaps there re two categories..
- the first being 'distraction '... to let the community s attention get elsewhere

the second 'as Ritual '
as in: witchcraft
..to change the mass consciousness into a certain direction

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Shino

What is there to gain from creating a computer virus? Either way, virus or ufo, it's someone with too much time on their hands and a low moral compass, and no social skills. Hacker, hoaxer, loser. But I guess it's better to fake a UFO than to kick puppies...

Look at me! Look at me! I'm an attention deprived, low self esteem loser so I faked an alien abduction! Look at me!
edit on 22-5-2012 by usernameconspiracy because: I wasn't being mean enough

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
A: Attention whores

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well, one gain comes from people who prove it is a hoax. It gives the debunkers something to do.

Other than that, perposely creating a hoax is just plain bad for whatever field the hoax was about.. IMO.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
reply to post by Shino

And yes, some people do it for money. You are right that with how digital media is today, it's very easy to make a hoax video or pics. But that's just it: YouTube will pay you for your video views now. Go to YouTube and check it out.

That's why I'm highly suspicious of videos on YouTube. Especially if I see it's someone getting paid for their video hits.

They don't care if people figure out a video is hoaxed. They know there are plenty of other people out there that will still click on their links.

Pretty much, it's original material they created, so they youtube can't deny them revenue-sharing from millions of hits even if the video is fake. That's alot of free money just sitting back and letting the hits pile up.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
What it all boils down to: Da Lulz.
Drives me nuts. Especially about the UFO and alien stuff because I am pathetically and woefully ignorant about the entire subject.. so for safety sake, I internally reject any mothership invasions or alien autopsies till someone that knows better comes along.

Things have been done for the Lulz since the origin of time.. like when God punked Adam and told him Eve was flesh of his flesh and would obey him. Diety lulz arent funny.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Shino

Explanation: S&F!

Strategically its about LOGISTICS and messing seriously with them!

Tactically its about wasting others time so they miss their window of opportunity to be WINNING!

Personal Disclosure: Time IS Money ok! I hope this helps.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shino
Aside from wanting to trick a few people, what is there to actually gain from creating a good hoax?

Why create a computer virus? Why spray paint your name on a railroad car?

"Some people just like to see the world burn."

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Money, money, money... A great deal hoax videos are for the ad revenue, ask for donations to further their research into making more technical hoaxes and therefore more money. There's also the hope of attaining the holy grail - going viral and MSM coverage. kerching...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Except for their to be a crop circle hoax, they'd have to all be fake, and you can't possibly prove that. Yes, some crop circles may be replicated but I highly doubt all of them have just been bored farmers stomping around in the middle of the night. Or how they are done with such detail overnight? Don't you think someone would notice them making a fake?
edit on 23-5-2012 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

They are done in such detail because of planning, the right amount of people and the right equipment. The one I watched being made was done by just 4 people in a couple of hours, and it was pretty detailed.

It's not bored farmers btw, it's artists, hippies, bored students and practical jokers with talent....or a strange mixture of all.

I used to think there was maybe more to them until I seen that one being made.

With a hoax like that as well, they wouldn't just gain knowing they will cause a stir in the UFO community, they would also gain a lot of satisfaction seeing the finished result of their pretty damn awesome artwork.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I'm not saying that there aren't ones made by people expressing their artistic side of themselves, what I am saying is that people can't prove they are ALL made by artistic people looking to express themselves. Besides lot of work and effort for something that won't exist permanently.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Kinda depends how you look at it, most of the ones created have aerial photographs taken, even if it is just by the local news. So in a sense they aren't completely lost. Plenty of fields where I live, I should maybe get a small group of rag tag individuals together and go attempt to make one, I know how to, it's just putting it into practice. Hmmmmm crop Homer Simpson....that would be funny, lol.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
there's tons of reasons.. a lot listed here and way more but if i had to narrow it down i'd say they do it for attention. it's basic instinct and we as humans crave it in all manners of life.

the worst tho in my opinion are the people specifically doing it as a form of disinformation. people the set out to make people look stupid so others can argue "they" don't exist to cover up anything that actually may be true.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Alot of people do it because it is the closest that they will ever get to experiencing the real thing

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
this is what hoaxers get:

Seriously though, if they're smart enough/have good credentials, they get to be on History Channel and etc...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join