It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A beautiful 15 min short film made with a completely free software.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

"Sintel" is an independently produced short film, initiated by the Blender Foundation as a means to further improve and validate the free/open source 3D creation suite Blender. With initial funding provided by 1000s of donations via the internet community, it has again proven to be a viable development model for both open 3D technology as for independent animation film. This 15 minute film has been realized in the studio of the Amsterdam Blender Institute, by an international team of artists and developers. In addition to that, several crucial technical and creative targets have been realized online, by developers and artists and teams all over the world.

My favorite short film, what about you guys?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Amazing what you can do with Open Source now a days.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Blender has always been one of my favorite tools for aniumation, and I think they've made some absolutely incredible progress.

Love the film

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Beautifully made...
But what a downer

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Yeah great job for sure.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Sure it's free, and good but the one element that is not free, or is only given to a few special people.

Talent.

even OLD winxp MS Paint can do some pretty good stuff.. but in the hands of a numpty like me, you may as well call it abstract and slap me with a million dollars (i consider most abstract art random chaos and it's only because someone says it's art, that it becomes art.)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Wow. Free software is beginning to approach big budget hollywood films levels.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by parkerman
Wow. Free software is beginning to approach big budget hollywood films levels.

Been that way for near over a decade now. Blender was just too hard for the average joe to use.. Now with photoshop being a basic push and play application, with things like adobe after effects and maya.. you can do even better than studios. Far far far FAR better. Because they have a limitation - what they are told to make.

Inspiration is the boss for the home user.

everyone can be a magician, if they just learn how to cast spells, in this day and age.

top topics

join