It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess the price tag for this Porsche ‘supercar’ that boasts 94 miles per gallon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Just adding: The title was all caps...PLease change if this is a problem.

94 miles per gallon
and more than 570 horse power thanks to

one electric unit delivering power to its front wheels while

another supplies the rear axle. The car’s lithium-ion battery can be

fully recharged in two hours.

Realize that this is maybe the next best thing to plasma batteries,

hydrogen and the MYT engine.

When the hybrid features of this car are incorporated into other

models, such as first timer strippy throw-away vehicles, maybe the

price will come down and be affordable to at least the few of the

working class who are still employed.

But for now,

It is expected the vehicle will run for around $1.5 million.

I'll take two please...

Source

edit on 21-5-2012 by imd12c4funn because: reason for all caps in title

edit on 21-5-2012 by imd12c4funn because: source link did not work

Mod Note: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 21/5/2012 by ArMaP because: All caps is a problem

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Fixed link here

Wow. It looks like someone in design has revamped the 959. *droool

Group B should be brought back!

edit on 21/5/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Fixed link here

Wow. It looks like someone in design has revamped the 959. *droool

Group B should be brought back!

edit on 21/5/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

After the Veyron was introduced, they had to do something...
Economy AND performance....Whoda thunk?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
My favorite part about this car is not that it's hybrid, it's that the typical V8 intake and exhaust port configuration has traded places, the exhaust actually exits out of the top of the rear hatch, and the intake air is drawn from the undersides of the engine. I've wondered for years why they couldn't build engines that way. Intake temps would probably be cooler as well because the exhaust heat radiates directly upwards out of the engine bay, instead of dissipating through all of the components above it like on a Normal vehicle.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ah yes, Porsche benefiting from the spoils of war.

U.S. Identifies Vast Mineral Riches in Afghanistan

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
£300k, had my eye on this for a while, but got a long way to go before I am in a position to purchase her!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan

The new thing for lithium mining is, apparently, the oceans. I heard that the Japanese are working on this. Lithium is scattered all over the planet, but only in a couple of places (california, china, and Afghanistan) is it in quantities suitable for mining. The oceans are perfect for planet rape and plundering. It's all out of sight, and you can pollute to your heart's content. I LOVE totinos!

Afghanistan has a lot of goodies, to be sure, but I think the political angle is as strong of a reason as any of the trillions in resources, for which halliburton is building (trying to build) roads, and infrastructure, for their harvesting.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Well, at that price, I'll buy two!!!.....................not.

How much fuel can I get for 1.5 million? Hmmmmm?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Hi OP, I hope you don't mind that I'm adding some content to your thread, I frequent a site called Gizmag, they have latest of everything Tech related, to date, they have over 18,000 articles.

Here is a small sampling from the article on this new car, visit the link for the rest including the origins of it's Hybrid unit,

www.gizmag.com...

from the article;
Porsche's hybrid 918 Spyder is a 770 bhp supercar that can top 320 km/h (200 mph), accelerate to 100 km/h (62 mph) from standstill in under three seconds and lap the Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit in seven minutes 22 seconds. The largely-carbon-fiber 918 Spyder will hit showrooms before the end of 2013, with pricing beginning at around US$1 million. It's all standard fare for a supercar except for one small thing - its fuel consumption of 3.0 l/100 km (94 mpg).

Porsche's hybrid 918 Spyder first broke cover in 2010, creating a sensation with its combination of 500 bhp V8 plus three electric motors totaling 215 bhp for a total of 715 bhp.

At that time, the car was officially quoted as running 0-100 km/h in 3.2 seconds, having a top speed of 320 km/h (198 mph) and was reported to have done a lap of the Nordschleife Nurburgring circuit under 7:30 minutes.

The order books were officially opened for the 918 Spyder in March 2011 with an asking price of US$845,000 and the news that no more than 918 units of the new two-seater supercar would be produced, beginning in September 2013.

Main propulsion: the eight cylinder engine
The main source of propulsion is the 4.6-litre, eight cylinder engine delivering more than 570 hp of power, which was directly derived from the power unit in the successful RS Spyder and explains why it delivers engine speeds of up to 9,000 rpm. Like the RS Spyder’s racing engine, the 918 Spyder power unit features dry-sump lubrication with a separate oil tank and oil extraction. In order to save weight, the four extraction pumps are made of plastic.

Further extensive lightweight design measures resulted in, for example, titanium connec- ting rods, thin-wall, low-pressure casting on the crank case and the cylinder heads, a high- strength, light-weight steel crankshaft and the extremely thin-walled, alloy steel exhaust system. The result of the weight and performance optimisations is a power output per litre of approx. 125 hp/l, which is significantly higher than that of the Carrera GT (106 hp/l) and outstanding for a naturally aspirated engine.

----------------------------------------------------

That's just a very small amount of info from the article, for those of you that love this kind of stuff, I suggest a visit to the website, they go into a comparison to the famous "917s", that was Porsche's race car that produced about 1200 HP, I saw one of those things on the Laguna Seca race track in Monterey Ca, it shook the grandstands when it came by, just awesome.

There's lots of stuff to see on that site for any Tech minded person, Enjoy

edit on 21-5-2012 by FutureThinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

Realize that this is maybe the next best thing to plasma batteries,

As far as I can tell, "plasma batteries" have only referred to black hole physics, unless you have a source you cant cite for us that isn't just another unknown blog running an agenda...

Originally posted by LeTan

I'm sure no one cared about the lithium in Afghanistan before the war.

For the record, I didn't even check your link but I am pretty confident that is what it is talking about.

--------------------

The Tesla roadster has beaten the normal Porsche or come very close in every regard, but it is 100% electric and has some major issues with development. Including the battery problem, where you let it drain and it becomes a "brick" which will cost the owner about 40k to replace.

---------------------

What was that lithium we talked about?

---------------------

The bottom line is that nothing is feasible until it is profitable. And while we all want to wish for a "green" world where everyone gets miles to the gallon and save money, in reality sometimes it just isn't the case.

Feasibility is everything.

Cost reflects feasibility.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Or you can do like me and pick up an old Geo Metro. Not pretty but runs around 100MPH and gets 55 MPG lol.

top topics

join