Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Quick (temporary) fix for global warming?

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Just a thought.... if in say 20 years time the Earth is warming rapidly and for whatever reasons our attempts to control global warming have failed.... would it be possible to put some kind of space craft "shield" into space between the Earth and the Sun (maybe at one of the Lagrainge points) to block some or all of the sunlight for a day or two ?

That's gotta cool the Earth down, right? Probably only temporarily because it'd warm up again sooner or later, but you see what I mean it could be an emergency way of cooling the planet.

Such a project would have to have the agreement of a lot of nations of course, but I can't help wondering if it'd be workable as a quick-fix.

What do you think guys?

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
not saying i believe it, but in sitchin's books he says that in ancient times aliens visited our planet to take gold which they needed to fix the atmosphere on their home planet

[edit on 10/2/04 by spangbr]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Moley, I am not sure how our engineering state of the art would be able to build and emplace a disc 25,000 miles in diameter.

I do believe, however, that you couldn't place it in a Lagrange point, since only one of them, L1, is between the Earth and the Sun, and it is one of the three inherently unstable ones (L4 and L5 are the stable ones).

[edit on 5-10-2004 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
That would be fixing the result of a problem and not fixing the problem. I fear what would happen if we tried to force the earth to cool down. I think we would end up with a larger problem than what we think we are facing now. Man should not mess with mother nature, bad things happen.

The earth goes through warming and cooling trends. Maybe this is one of them. Maybe we have helped out a little. Who knows.

The cause of the problem needs to be fixed and a great start would be to lessen the worlds dependence on fossil fuels.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Probably wouldn't work. The real problem of global warming lies in the melting of the ice caps, which puts millions of gallons of freshwater in a saltwater ocean. This dilutes the salinity of the ocean, which slows or stops major ocean currents, which is a key part of the weather system, which, well, pretty much controls everything. Blocking the sun will only delay this process. Not to mention the resources spent on this could be put to millions of better uses.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moley
Just a thought.... if in say 20 years time the Earth is warming rapidly and for whatever reasons our attempts to control global warming have failed.... would it be possible to put some kind of space craft "shield" into space between the Earth and the Sun (maybe at one of the Lagrainge points) to block some or all of the sunlight for a day or two ?

Not a real good idea, there. The problem is an increase in carbon dioxide and other pollutants. And particulate matter is already lowering the levels of sunlight on some areas of Earth.

So the "solution" doesn't address the problem. It's like turning the light off for 5 seconds to "cool down the house."

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
how about we all sit in out cars, WITH OUT turning the car on, just turn the key to engage the eletrical system, we all turn our air conditioners on for a period of....say 5 minutes. shouldn't that cool the air some?!?!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
We are experiencing "global warming" which started thousands of years ago. Things warm up to a point. At this point the system tips and we crash back into a cold phase. Warming won't continue forever no matter what we do. We can't change it. If the change isn't already taking place I would expect it to happen soon. So I wouldn't lose sleep about "warming". Its a bit too late.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Even if we had the technology and could afford it, I think totally blocking the sun's rays for a day or two would cool the earth too dramatically....Case in point....Do you remember the solar eclipse we had back in May of 1994? I remember the news reporting that during totality, which only lasted a few minutes, it actually started snowing in one of the northeast cities, maybe Cleveland or Pittsburgh.....Somewhere around there....(I know it wasn't Buffalo, that's where I'm from!!)....If we shielded out all solar light, I think it would put us in a deep freeze, Antarctica-style....

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Well as the atmosphere warms up water will evaporate more quickly. The more humid it gets more clouds form. As the cloud layer increases it will form a natural barrier. The result of global cloudy days will be a decrease in temperature as the result of less sunlight warming up the ground. It is easily seen in summer. On humid days if the cloud layer remains and less sunlight filters through you generaly have a smaller number and less severe thunderstorms. If the constant cloud layer continues for years..................Iceage. You have to have 'global warming' to have an iceage.

Just a theory.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
ok, the mean temp. has only increased by .9 degrees since 1900! and btw global warming/cooling is a natural effect, yes we have contributed to it but this doesnt mean we have to go do some drastic overhaul of the atmosphere or waste more money on a uv shield that incicles the globe. we should, however, establish laws, which we have already begun to do, to decrease our contribution by pollution that we release everyday

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by spangbr
not saying i believe it, but in sitchin's books he says that in ancient times aliens visited our planet to take gold which they needed to fix the atmosphere on their home planet

[edit on 10/2/04 by spangbr]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, sitchin ok -- but why gold -- gold nothing to do:/help the atmosphere

regards chapo

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
OK thanks for the feedback guys... I sense differing views on whether a "shield" would do too much or not enough... and an interesting theory from Just_a_pilot about the increased cloud cover that may develop naturally.

I just wanted to add a couple of things:

1. I'm not a scientist but surely there's a point somewhere between Earth and the Sun where a "shield" could be placed where the size of the thing wouldn't it have to be many thousands of miles wide. As for how much technology and cost it would take.... I probably had in mind some kind of cheap plastic that could unfurl itself... nothing fancy or technical...it doesn't even need to be disc-shaped. All I know is that when I'm on vacation it doesn't take a whole lot of technology to keep the sun off me when I don't want it.

2. This idea is strictly in the 'all else has failed' category. I'd prefer not to mess with nature either, and I really would like to believe in the theory of "this is just a warming phase, it'll tip back into a cooler phase later".

It's just, you know, even if every nation on the planet signed up to and adhered to Kyoto right now... it might already be too late to stop runaway global heating. The train is already in motion, and gathering speed, as it were !!! and it ain't gonna stop until it hits the buffers down the line.

So my idea was for when (sorry, if) all our attempts to slow down global warming have failed, and mother nature didn't kick in with the suggested increased cloud cover or even a new Ice-age, and we gotta do something before the oceans boil away and we all fry and die in the heat.

Or maybe God or Aliens will save us.... hmmm so maybe it's best not to go there.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   
well if the last chnce of keeping our evironment stable was to set up a screen inbetween us and sun well there are many things to take into considerationa nd many things that could go wrong:

initially to even get it out and into place would be difficult all its own. then theres the issue of keeping it there perhaps by small navigational rockets. this is just to keep it from floating off/ floating into sun/ or, lol, come back to earth

now this totally neglects the other bodies in the solar system. where would we put it and it would get hit by small ateriods (or whatever) continuiously, how would we repair it

ok, say its all set up and ready to go... who decides how much radiation to block, when to block, or when to roll her up, plus how would you go about setting it a different levels of coverage.

heres the kicker i was thinking about, we got it up and its cooling earth... hooray... but then something happens that inhibutes us from controlling it/being able to go into space to get it/malfunctions or whatever... hmm now what itd be kinda ironic if it cuased us to go into total ice age, or forbid somehow malfunction and not allow enough radiation to even sustain life (tot ice age and no plants me no us)

well still say its a natural high and low thing, just let it run course and not risk high propability of screwing more up

new topics

top topics

join