It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

wish i could do what tom anderson or zuckerberg did.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'd LOVE to create a social network place for everyone to use but I'd listen to the users instead of push out things without their permissions. After being avid users of both sites for almost a decade, I know the value of places like that. I can NOT make friends well in reality. I'm very shy, very self conscious, etc. But with sites like facebook and myspace, I have TONS of friends the world over and most are best friends, some have been online loves, etc. I have gone on trips with some after feeling super comfortable with them, etc etc. I know the value of these sites. I have stayed in contact with my aunts and uncles and cousins and friends that live hundreds to thousands of miles away: I can see pics, share instant messages, etc (I am NOT a phone person and never will be).

I know I'd need a good set up to start something up like this. A good server. I'm really derp when it comes to this stuff so I really have no idea HOW. Yes I know how to buy a dotcom and have someone host it so that would be a start - but as far as going anywhere AFTER that? xD that's where I come up to the brick wall. I have SO many ideas how to make tons of money - but I get to a certain point and then I can't go any further for lack of knowing what/how to move next

Anderson and Zuckerberg were/are lucky indeed.

seems the best ideas to make great money are taken or have already been done.

I'm going to go refill out my applications at subway and mcdonalds in town here. Maybe I"ll have good luck with the 17th attempt.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If you had the requisite skills and determination you could do the same thing. There's nothing preventing you from doing that. Sure these guys were "lucky" to some extent, but luck didn't seek them out. They had to work for it with many long hours. They had to develop the skills to form a team capable of pulling it off, including technical skills, personnel, legal, financial, etc. I think it was Thomas Edison who said, "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." (He had no love for academics, btw. He derisively called them 'perfessers.')

Something like a fifth of American adults have worked at McDonalds at one time or another. Something like half the McDonalds franchise owners started out slinging fries at minimum wage at McDonalds. A McDonalds franchise costs close to $1 million by the time you add everything up. These guys started exactly where you are at, but hey said, "You know what? I don't have to stay here. I can OWN this place!" And so they worked hard until they did. Too many thousands of people have done it to claim it is impossible.

I think one of the saddest things to see is someone who had good ideas in life, but never had the drive and determination to see them through and instead settled for a life of comparitive safety and drudgery. The idea itself is not enough. If you want to invent the next Facebook that does everything right, then DO IT.

join