It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find snoring has surprising link to cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Scientists find snoring has surprising link to cancer

now.msn.com

The research indicates that people with the most severe sleep apnea are almost five times more likely to develop cancer than people without any issues. Scientists believe snoring lowers blood oxygen levels,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This is really big news,” said Dr. Joseph Golish, a professor of sleep medicine with the MetroHealth System in Cleveland who was not involved in the research. “It’s the first time this has been shown, and it looks like a very solid association,” he said.

Dr. Golish, the former chief of sleep medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, said that the cancer link may not prove to be as strong as the well-documented relationship between sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease, “but until disproven, it would be one more reason to get your apnea treated or to get it diagnosed if you think you might have it.”

now.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I once knew a snorer who was so loud that he rattled the windows. He ended up needing one of those CPAP machines to help him breathe.

He died from galloping cancer back in 2008 at the ripe old age of 44.

Thanks for sharing this, I think more people need to be aware that lack of proper breathing while sleeping can have devastating effects.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
For god sake we cant get away from this crap, if i eat i get cancer, if i drink I get cancer, if I shower I get cancer, if I wear deodorant I get cancer! Everything I do can cause cancer, sht I go to bed early to have pleasant dreams and now that's even causing me cancer!! wtf!!

I give in, throw in the towel, no more am I doing my best to avoid this disease, it seems inevitable that cancer is going to get me no matter what precautions I take.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is worrying as my girlfriend has to constantly wake me up during the night as i tend to sound like i have stopped breathing.
A few times i have woken to find a pair of pained and worried looking eyes staring at me, "You weren't breathing", i do wonder if oxygen deprivation helps with the extremely lucid and vivid dreams i have.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
For god sake we cant get away from this crap, if i eat i get cancer,

No. If you eat CRAP you may get cancer.

if i drink I get cancer

No, if you drink excessively you may develop cancer.

if I shower I get cancer,

hat the heck are you showing in?

if I wear deodorant I get cancer!

Probably because its full of industrial byproducts

Everything I do can cause cancer, sht I go to bed early to have pleasant dreams and now that's even causing me cancer!! wtf!!

No. They are saying SNORING may be linked to cancer, not dreaming.

I give in, throw in the towel, no more am I doing my best to avoid this disease, it seems inevitable that cancer is going to get me no matter what precautions I take.

Then you're a fool.
edit on 21-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Cue big pharma's push of a new anti-snoring medication, or, even better, an anti-snoring vaccine given once a year.

Give it a few months.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm glad there's basically no cancer in my family at all (except one aunt on my mom's side). My dad is a terrible snorer to the point where my mom kicked him out of the bedroom because of it. For some reason he's never sought treatment for it, despite our insisting he needed to. Still, no cancer and he's now well into his 70's. I think my family is just unusually resistant to cancer, though.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I thought of something now. This also means that people living at high altitudes would also be very likely to develop cancer, due to lower blood oxygen levels.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by The X

Have you spoken to a doctor about this?

I've lost a lot of weight to try and avoid sleep apnea. Unlike you, I have no one to wake me up if I stop breathing.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
if you live long enough, you'll die of cancer. that's how it is. once researchers learn this, they'll stop saying everything causes cancer.

while i could see a case being made for those who have extreme snoring problems that impede natural sleep which heals the body, anything above that is a logical fallacy.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
you would be surprised how many accidents happen because people are tired because they have sleep apnea.

having sleep apnea for a long time will eventually catch up to the body at some point. By the way the typical profile is a man in his thirties fat with a double chin, but my young daughter was a stick skinny girl and had severe sleep apnea, the shape of the face and the jaw come into play with this.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Well along with wearing high heels this is pretty silly. Maybe developing cancer causes snoring (joke...ha...ha). snoring and sleep apnea are two completely different things. people with sleep apnea tend to be a bit on the heavy side and that fat and weight cause them to not get enough oxygen when they sleep because of the pressure on their lungs and throat. I've know several people on oxygen tanks for when they sleep and it was because they were overweight

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
with the sleep apnea you actually have many moments when you actually stop breathing, it takes you out of the deep sleep cycle. at some point you start to snort and your body starts breathing again. Many snore, but not all snorers have sleep apnea.

they have those cpap machines to help breathe but we could never get the mask to make a good seal so my daughter had a surgery where they tightened the muscles in her throat, which made a huge difference, she was so tired all the time before.

that was a long time ago, looks like the cpap machines are much better today. People go to the sleep disorder clinic they can measure how many times you stop breathing in a night. for some people this can occur a hundred times in a night
edit on 21-5-2012 by research100 because: correct spelling

edit on 21-5-2012 by research100 because: add a sentence

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

I like your style n00bUK!

On a lighter note.. my wife snores like an elephant, so there's hope for me yet

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
edit: pressed send twice. mod please delete

edit on 21/5/12 by HelionPrime because: (no reason given)

top topics

join