It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Slaughter of Christians a misunderstanding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Obama: Slaughter of Christians a misunderstanding

By Steve Peacock, WND.com

The violence in northern Nigeria is mistakenly viewed as a religious conflict rather than simply a tribal dispute over land, according to the Obama administration.

Despite the ongoing Muslim destruction of churches and the slaughter of Christians – including many murdered during worship services – the U.S. Agency for International Development claims that the misunderstandings make it difficult to administer aid programs.

USAID, therefore, has launched a program titled Project PEACE – an acronym for Programming Effectively Against Conflict and Extremism.

PEACE says it will hire contractors to help the agency analyze the “true” causes of conflict and consequently provide more effective humanitarian and conflict-resolution assistance, according to planning documents that WND located via database research.

The cost of Obama’s new “knowledge generation, dissemination and management” initiative is $600 million.

This is NOT conspiracy theory; these are facts, backed up with government documents.

This is NOT simply more Obama-bashing. Regardless of the news source -- which is unabashedly critical of the Obama Administration -- the article stems from a detailed USAID program that was unreported until now.

It will be interesting to see if the mainstream media touches this one, despite the otherwise well-publicized Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian Christians.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Why should America waste one dime on why people are killing each other in another country? The money wasted here could be better spent at home. If Christains want to know what happened tell the Nazi running the Vatican to pay for it.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a "mis-understanding" seriously?

and this new task force... I can't even express words.... Isn't this tribalism the same thing we saw in Afghanistan?

Yes I think it is

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
He's right. It's a regional conflict. Religious extremists from both Muslim and Christian factions (like WND) both want to frame it as a 'religious war' because that will mean sending in militarized forces, and arms dealers will make even more money.

www.fbo.gov...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
He's right. It's a regional conflict. Religious extremists from both Muslim and Christian factions (like WND) both want to frame it as a 'religious war' because that will mean sending in militarized forces, and arms dealers will make even more money.

www.fbo.gov...

Generally well said, and agreed - and we've got no business getting involved either way - as a nation, at least. If private citizens or the like really want to stick their noses out, so be it.

It's a bit like the way our attacks on predominately-muslim countries were/are misunderstood - it's not a religious crusade by christian countries attacking muslim countries for that reason, but it WAS us targeting primarily muslim countries...for a range of other unsavory reasons I can come up with in my head.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Why should America waste one dime on why people are killing each other in another country? The money wasted here could be better spent at home. If Christains want to know what happened tell the Nazi running the Vatican to pay for it.

I have to agree. While it sucks to hear that this stuff is still going on after we were promised over 60 years ago by an organization all of our taxes (atleast for those of us in member nations) goes to pay for that it would be "never again", this still seems like a church issue. They collect a ton of bank every year. Certainly a bit of it can go to a lobbyist or two to get the UN off it's backside and send in some peace keeping force. It's what they do, right?

Oh wait...no oil there? No need to send a pipeline through the region? Never mind, it will never happen.

As usually we have an epic fail on the parts of the UN and Church. Both claim they work for the betterment of man-kind, and neither does a thing if it's not self-serving.

Maybe there is some way we can influence the situation in nations like this without having to send in the troops. After all, twitter changed the structure of Egypt. And while things were getting hot between Iran and Israel, twitter sent the people's message forward there was no desire for war. I know it's not "just that simple", but where there's a will there's a way. More guns on the ground arn't going to do anything but add to the body count.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
No where does Obama say "Slaughter of Christians is a misunderstanding". That's the problem with sites like WND, they fabricate quotes.

I took the trouble to go through all those RFP's on the FedBizOpps page, and they do not claim anywhere that slaughter of Christians is a simple misunderstanding. They appear to be attempting to get to the root of the problem between the multi-ethnic and multi-religious problem in Nigeria. Technically the PEACE program is for all conflict regions, not just Nigeria.

Making up quotes? Bogus reporting.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
No where does Obama say "Slaughter of Christians is a misunderstanding". That's the problem with sites like WND, they fabricate quotes.

I agree it's misleading the way its used in the headline, out of context, but they did not put it in quotes as you did.

Obama is saying the issue is misunderstood as a religious one, instead of a regional one.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

I took the trouble to go through all those RFP's on the FedBizOpps page, and they do not claim anywhere that slaughter of Christians is a simple misunderstanding. They appear to be attempting to get to the root of the problem between the multi-ethnic and multi-religious problem in Nigeria. Technically the PEACE program is for all conflict regions, not just Nigeria.

Making up quotes? Bogus reporting.

i agree...when i first started checking out some of these "headlines" a few years ago, in 95% of the cases, it turned out to be a flat-out lie, or at the least, edited to reflect an entirely different meaning...so that's why i no longer go to WND, breitbart, FOX NEWS, or any of the others of that ilk. but, for some this is "red meat"
just look at some of the threads started here, and they follow the same path.
edit on 21-5-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bitsoys

I am sorry bitsoys, that many of the posters on this forum don't have a problem with genocide as long as it is Christians.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by bitsoys

I am sorry bitsoys, that many of the posters on this forum don't have a problem with genocide as long as it is Christians.

If this is an example of 'genocide' than any and every regional conflict, everywhere is, as well.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bitsoys

First off...WND is BS..always has been, always will be.

Nowhere in the document WNDs cites is violence against Christians dismissed as “a misunderstanding”.

The headline, as well as being factually misleading, is not even consistent with the text that follows: the headline has Obama claiming that Christians have been killed as the result of a "misunderstanding", while the text claims that USAID believes that the reason why Christians have been killed has been misunderstood.

The conflict there is not religion driven, but driven by warlords after resources in a region with little government. Religion is a banner, but addressing the problem as if it was a religious dispute is silly...religion is not the root of the conflict.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bitsoys

I love how some Americans feel the need to fly to Africa to "convert" those "savages" to the pseudo-cult of the White Man.

Then we get conflicts like this.

Organized religion is POISON, regardless of which 3 Kool-Aid flavors (Christianity, Islam and Judaism) that you administer!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

The headline, as well as being factually misleading, is not even consistent with the text that follows: the headline has Obama claiming that Christians have been killed as the result of a "misunderstanding", while the text claims that USAID believes that the reason why Christians have been killed has been misunderstood.

Exactly, and well said.

The reason WND would pervert their headline is to play into the ongoing conservative's narrative that Obama is somehow part and parcel to the "War on Christians" theme, they play up on FOX, WND or other neocon outlets.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lasr1oftheJedi
>snip<

Oh wait...no oil there? No need to send a pipeline through the region? Never mind, it will never happen.

>snip

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Boko Haram, an Islamist sect seeking to impose Sharia throughout Nigeria, attacked three church services on Sunday, April 29, 2012. The latest slaughters added twenty-seven more dead to 900+ victims of the past two years’ efforts by Boko Haram to kill all the Christians in northern Nigeria. In recent months, the sect has also been marking the houses of Christians in the north, targeting them for killing, forcing thousands to flee from their homes.

frontpagemag.com...

This is happening many places on the African continent.

Islam in Africa: The Invisible Genocide of Christians

www.israelnationalnews.com...

Fom Nigeria to Sudan, it is raging, the “Odium Fidei”, the war of religion.

Over 13,750 Christians have been killed by Muslims in northern Nigeria since the introduction of Sharia laws in 2001.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Egyptian Christians ‘fear persecution under Islamists’
zeenews.india.com...

Considering that Easter, one of the highest Christian holidays, comes in April, Christian persecution in Muslim nations—from sheer violence to oppressive laws—was rampant last month: In Nigeria, where jihadis seek to expunge all traces of Christianity, a church was bombed during Easter Sunday, killing some 50 worshippers; in Turkey, a pastor was beaten by Muslims immediately following Easter service and threatened with death unless he converts to Islam; and in Iran, Easter Sunday saw 12 Christians stand trial as “apostates.”

www.algemeiner.com...

OH it's ugly, it's going to get really ugly, sadly the world is deaf, dumb, and deliberately blind.

There is really nothing that can be down now, the writing is on the wall. The "anti Christs" have been hard at work, busying their little fingers with anti Christian propaganda, fanning the flames of hatred.

The internet is a wonderful tool is it not?

Meanwhile back at the ranch.

According to the department's annual International Religious Freedom Report for July through December of 2010, released just last month, "There is no longer a public Christian church; the courts have not upheld the church's claim to its 99-year lease, and the landowner destroyed the building in March."

www.christiantoday.com...

Muslim Persecution of Christians: April 2012
www.gatestoneinstitute.org...

Here is a list from A to Z

I know, but, but,but the Christians............................................ fill in the blanks heard it all before.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by bitsoys

If this is an example of 'genocide' than any and every regional conflict, everywhere is, as well.

The article states that a jihadist group explicitly wants to eradicate Chrisianity. I guess Christians there don't have the same Constitutional rights we do here, but seculars and atheists here have long been trying to get rid of Christianity. I am in agreement with Stormdancer on this.
The name of the Jihadist group incidentally contains a word which describes anything not kosher, or that is anything which is forbidden. So I guess the group is dedicated to eradicate the forbidden religion.

Also, it's a peculiar arrangement but the seculars seem to have joined forces with muslim extremists in a joint hatred of Christians.
edit on 21-5-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

“Yet, although the symptom of conflict is intercommunal violence along sectarian lines, the source of the conflict will not be found in theology. Rather, the conflict’s source [is] competition for land between a group that perceives itself as indigenous to the area and another seen as more recent settlers.”

Attempts to focus on the theological nature of the fighting have failed to halt the ongoing clash, since those parties purportedly ignore the underlying motivation for feuding, according to USAID: “Those who perceive the conflict as a religious war have been unable to gain traction in resolving the conflict because, at its root, it is more about the governance of contested resources.”

This excerpt from the FedBIzOpps document does not suggest that USAID wants to cast the killings as a misunderstanding? Did we not read the same documents?

It is a verifiable fact that Muslims have slaughtered hundreds of Nigerian Christians, many of whom were executed while sitting peacefully in worship. This isn't a back-and-forth slaughter, as some of you suggest.

Some of you are so hateful of Christians that you cannot even consider acknowledging the situation at hand.

A few responders claim to be so knowledgeable of the PEACE project, and yet ignore the fact that it seeks to deflect the fact that Boko Harum -- a Nigerian Islamist group that has vowed to eradicate Christians -- is carrying out the attacks clearly in the name of Allah. One responder even invoked the name of the Pope, and said "let him take care of it."

Take care of what? An information-manipulation campaign of the Obama White House? That's what this is; no proposal to invade Nigeria and save the Christians has been proposed by anyone, as far as I know.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by bitsoys

I love how some Americans feel the need to fly to Africa to "convert" those "savages" to the pseudo-cult of the White Man.

Then we get conflicts like this.

Organized religion is POISON, regardless of which 3 Kool-Aid flavors (Christianity, Islam and Judaism) that you administer!

Who did the converting first? Christians or muslims? I am guessing neither is the original religious or spiritual outlook of the region before at least 300 ad. But you have called out Americans on this....yet somehow I doubt it was Americans who went there first. It would be an interesting history.

Christianity is now one of the two most widely practised religions in Africa and is the largest religion in Sub-Saharan Africa. The presence of Christianity in Africa began in the middle of the 1st century in Egypt, and by the end of the 2nd century in the region around Carthage. Important Africans who influenced the early development of Christianity includes Tertullian, Clement of Alexandria, Origen of Alexandria, Cyprian, Athanasius and Augustine of Hippo

en.wikipedia.org...

aha! So even earlier, 1st century ad and one of those first Christians to have influence was none other than Origen of Alexandria.

Here is what is interesting

Born in 185, Origen was barely seventeen when a bloody persecution of the Church of Alexandrian broke out.

www.newadvent.org...
A bloody persecution of the Church in Alexandria EGYPT! How quaint! It seems that Origen was native Egyptian too, I might add. I guess the spread of Christianity to Nigeria is not such an odd idea after all. Also, they mention Carthage, which is in present day Tunisia, which has a very rich history and heritage and came under Phoenician rule, as well as Roman, then later Arab.

Oh by the way, the same Catholic Encyclopedia source suggests that there were some pagans who believed in Origen. I guess because he believed in the pre-existence of the soul, and he was later anathemitzed by the emperor of Rome for it.
Even more interesting!
St. Mark the Evangelist was THEE Founder of the Church of Alexandria in Egypt.

Mark the Evangelist (Latin: Mārcus; Greek: Μᾶρκος; Coptic: Μαρκοϲ; Hebrew: מרקוס‎) is the traditional author of the Gospel of Mark. He is one of the Seventy Disciples, and the founder of the Church of Alexandria, one of the original four main episcopal sees of Christianity.

In AD 49, about 19 years after the Ascension of Jesus, Mark traveled to Alexandria [cf. c. 49 [cf. Acts 15:36-41] and founded the Church of Alexandria, which today is claimed by the Coptic Orthodox Church.[8] Aspects of the Coptic liturgy can be traced back to Mark himself. He became the first bishop of Alexandria and he is honored as the founder of Christianity in Africa.[9]

Sooo decidedly NOT American.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join