It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origin of the word "shit"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 08:43 PM
link   
In the 16th and 17th centuries, before commercial fertilizer Was invented, large shipments of manure were transported by ship. It was shipped in dry bundles because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet. But once water hit it at sea, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began, a by-product of which is methane gas. It didn't take long for methane to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before somebody figured out what was happening. Once they determined the role that manure played in the explosions, everybody began stamping the bundles with the term "Ship High In Transit," so that the sailors would know to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T," which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I. I always thought it was a golf term.

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   
do you have a link to back it up???

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Back in Old England, if people wanted to have sex they'd need the King's permission

So when they got his permission, they'd post on the door of their house

"Fornication under consent of King"

F.U.C.K.

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Well. here's where I found the article.

www.microsquish.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
wow nice finds

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   
"Fornication under consent of King" Posted by Illmatic67

I always thought it stood for "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" for fornicating outside of marriage.

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
"Fornication under consent of King" Posted by Illmatic67

I always thought it stood for "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" for fornicating outside of marriage.

I heard that one too.

There's many theories on the origin of the word but this one to me made more sense.

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'd heard that before, about getting the King's consent and all, but it didn't make sense to me as who would buy a permit? Seems it would be a hard statute to enforce! Unless, of course, pregnancy ensued, in which case it'd be a difficult charge to deny!!

Especially as "fornication" is copulation outside the confines of marriage.

In that case, it would make sense as a license is obtained say that the licensee may do that which otherwise would be illegal or unlawful.

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 11:48 PM
link   
A lovely thought; but I'm afraid you'll find it in Chaucer (14th century) and earlier. It's good old Anglo-Saxon (Old English) and the similarity of the corresponding words in other Germanic Languages ( e.g. scheissen) should confirm that it does not come from an English acronym.
But -as I sa - it's a lovely thought.
Ditto with the "f-word".

new topics

top topics

join