It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Self Defense Club

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Like my friend says: Self defense is everyone's PERSONAL responsibility.

Which basically means do not rely on anybody else other than yourself to protect you, your home and your loved ones. You might have a son in the army who did 3 tours and came back to stay with his folks, you might have strong well armed neighbors or good police service in your town, it is still your responsibility when it comes to self defense.

So, what say you? Do you believe that your home is your fortress? You have reinforced doors with many exotic locks, your windows bullet proof and a multi level basement hide out?

Or you leave your doors and windows open, have no access to any weapons in your home and dong give a # who lives and visits your neighborhood?

A good example i have is Stalin. Back when he was in power. I saw once a documentary film showing what he did to his people. There was one big happy family living in some village somewhere in mid west Russia. Stalins worker, just one, came to their home first as a fellow and then turned onto them and drove the whole family into the ground, father of the family suffered the most and lost his life. It was terrible.

Now some spiritualists i know tell me not to obsess about WW2 and Stalin and 100s of cases acts of atrocities through out the history but i say you must not ignore it either.

My message is simple - be prepared, there never was and never will be time or place for weakness and ignorance.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeman

I think this could become a really good thread, if everybody shares some tips it could be good.
I do believe that many users of ATS have weapons though, you would be a fool to be un-armed in this day and age. If you do have a weapon, make sure you know how to use it and can retrieve it quickly, it is no use trying to find your gun or knife etc when someone has already kicked the door in and is running at you. People who don't want weapons should practice a form of martial art, nearly all of them have extensive defensive techniques.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Yea man, im in UK, guess what? only criminals here have weapons. As for civilians? They find a knife or gun on you, 5 years minimum prison!!

edit on 21-5-2012 by Freeman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
By the way lets link this thread in here as well:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Bullet-proof windows?

Are you serious? Not even the Pentagon has bullet-proof windows... do you know how much...(...)

Nevermind...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outofcontrol
Bullet-proof windows?

Are you serious? Not even the Pentagon has bullet-proof windows... do you know how much...(...)

Nevermind...

Bullet proof glass?
www.youtube.com...
edit on 21/5/2012 by BigBruddah because: (no reason given)

I must admit no glass is bullet proof but it offers some safety.
edit on 21/5/2012 by BigBruddah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The best way Ive learned to survive and thrive in the wild is to always be a nomad, and that can apply in a shtf situation better than any. The bigger stockpile you have, the more youre going to be leaving behind IMHO.

I always carry my cane/staff for self defense, and could use it in an emergency..
but if youre an AWARE nomadic wanderer, fights and altercations can be avoided, The forest can provide everything you need for free, and knowledge is VERY LIGHT. Just improve your knowledge of how to thrive in places where peace reigns supreme, rather than looking for a fight in a ruined city just to feed your family.

just my. 02

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeman
Yea man, im in UK, guess what? only criminals here have weapons. As for civilians? They find a knife or gun on you, 5 years minimum prison!!

edit on 21-5-2012 by Freeman because: (no reason given)

If any ppl from Uk want to hook up let me know!! Together we stand a better chance!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
There's plenty of things around the average home which can be used in self defence, excluding knives.

I lived in a rough area where homes were prone to burglaries on a regular basis with little regard for whether the property was occupied or not. Some will want to get hold of you for your cash card etc

It's all about getting the upper hand.

They will have the upper hand on you by taking you by surprise. In them few moments you hear your property being broken into, you MUST already know what to do. Just like people do in the case of a house fire, you plan.

Some people live in areas where there is low crime so this shouldn't be necessary for everyone but on the off chance and you are unlucky, a little pre-thought won't harm anyone.

Always have a land-line phone upstairs, also take your mobile phone to bed with you, most break-ins will happen at night, whilst you are all nice and sleepy.

Have the use of an aerosol (one with a far enough spay) to target the face of your attacker. This will give you the upper hand.

Think of your safe room, everyone has one in their house. Somewhere you can quickly jump into and place something preferably heavy against the door. Use your body against the bit where the door handle is. Stay low to the floor, more weight.

ps, anyone with laminate flooring, a good squirt of oily stuff on the floor will work a treat and bring down the heaviest guy. Ideal for squirting outside your safe room door floor. Trust me they aint going to get in.

I guess it depends on each persons home and the time you have. My flat door would have taken three or four good kicks, worst case.

Think how easy and quick it is to break into your own home, that's how long you'll have.

The idiot would charge in and fight the attacker without trying to stay safe.
You don't know them, what they are carrying or how many there are of them.

Only do self defence if they are on you and attacking. This is on the premise you don't have a gun

edit on 21-5-2012 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2012 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
If I could s&f I would. Self defence is very important. I wrote an article about it once.

People always say 'just give them what they want, dont try fighting them'. Well in South Africa about 50 people are murdered every day. They made a choice whether to fight back or give in, most probably didnt even put up a small fight for their lives.

Only you can keep you alive, you know?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Some of the simplest things can be done to get you away from an attacker in the street.

Again, don't fight back unless you or your loved one is being attacked.

Someone squares up to you, like they are going to launch at you, look purposely behind him either to the right or left as if someone is coming to help you. They will turn to look, this will give you two very valuable seconds and put them off guard.

You can either run or get in the first strike. Go for the stomach/groin or a sharp forceful kick to the knee, then get away.

Everyone should take up some sort of self defence, the repeated actions of combat will help you gain natural reflexes to either deflect or attack your opponent.

If you can't get to a class, visualise an attacker coming at you from every possible blow, block, counter attack, get away.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm an instructor in the Martial arts myself (Ninjutsu). We train in life or death tactics. I still always felt that my knowledge and trainning had a few holes. I also began reading military survival guides... very helpful. Ninjutsu is said to be the deadliest art in the world... in fact all Japanese arts such as Judo, Karate, Jiujutsu, Aikido, Kendo etc... came from Ninjutsu. But I have to admit that it didn't do alot to prepare me for modern survival scenario's.

I saw an ad in a magazine for Split Second Survival. It is a program that anyone can learn regardless of age, size, strength or speed .... and you need no skill at all. Best of all you can learn it in only a weekend. I took a chance and bought the set of 4 DVDs for about $100 bucks... it's less now. After veiwing them all in a weekend, I was baffeled at how little I was prepared. I've even integrated this knowledge in my own classes... this trainning has saved the lives of a few of my students that have had the unfortunate luck of having to defend their lives. I highly recommend this set of DVDs for everyone. It fills in the holes of your trainning regardless of your background. I've even surprised the hell out of some Iraq and Veitnam Vets with this trainning...

I have a very good freind who is a 7th Degree Black belt. Been teaching M.A.'s since the 1960's and was a former hand to hand combat instructor for the Army and multiple police forces, was even the pro wrestler "Black Suede" back in the 1970's. When he first observed one of my classes, he was surprised that a civillian would know this and said that the Military should be teaching this stuff. He now has adapted the basic principles to his program. check it out @ Splitsecondsurvival.com

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
here's a quick youtube vid...

youtu.be...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The first thing I will say is 'COMPLACENCY KILLS'. Being vigilant is a must in a survival situation. I am very aware of my surroundings at all times. I have my deadbolts on my doors so that it will give me an extea second or two to become aware if someone is going to kick it in. I also have dogs so I know when some one is here well efore they even get to the door.

I keep a loaded weapon ready at all times when I am sleaping. There is no point in having a gun for protection if you do not have immediate access to it. It is also in my opinion more dangerouse to have no round in the chamber if of your gun in the event that someone kicks in your door. Most would just points and hear click because the tensness of the situation has them confused. I have a small child so I can't just leave guns out in the open so I take my .45 to bed with me and then put it away when I am awake unless I carry it. I keep my AK acessable but secured at all times as well. The rest of my weapons are secured at all times. Some may say I'm paranoid but I live out in the country surrounded by state game land and a correctional facility is about 2 miles through the woods so if any prisoners escaped, my house would be their first stop.

For those in countries that you cannot own firearms. 'Weapons of opportunity'. Just about anything can be used as a weapon. The Jason Bourne movies do a good job of showing that. We were taught that in the Corps as well. Martial arts are always a good skill to have due to the confidence they will give you to face an attacker. Unless that attacker is a trained profesisonal that is.

Overall situational awareness is key. Those who allow themselves to be victims will ussually do so due to unpreparedness or complacency. Anyways good idea for a thread. I hope this helps.

Semper Fi

top topics

join