It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Baby Boomers The Dumbest Generation?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Every generation adds their own little spice to the world. There will be no saviors and everyone will be blamed by the narcissists who think their generation are so much more enlightened and intelligent. Your time is coming Ys and Zs.

However, I dont recall killing anyone over new sneakers...
These MY GENERATION pissing contests get so old.. reminds me of 2 of my uncles. Both old as dirt a few yrs ago sitting a porch swing at our family reunion. One a Korean War vet and the other a Vietnam War vet... drinking Gentleman Jack. Pretty soon the convo turned to the war and which war was harder nad worse and more glorious and all of that nonsense. Well, these 2 old geezers started duking it out ON the porch swing and falling on the porch.. we just all laughed at them. Dumb pissing contests...

Carry on... I need a laugh.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brandon88
reply to post by Nite_wing

I'm on the year spliting Generation Y and Generation Z, so you can refer to me as either or both. I'm assuming your a baby boomer correct?

I'm a boomer born and raised.
So you have a 50% chance of being smart or ar 50% chance of being stupid. I guess the choice is yours. Good luck.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

Trust me I'll take the smart side, I've read 1,000 pages worth of books in the last 2 days and could recite them word for word to you. I'm like a sponge when it comes to facts, there's alot of things I see wrong with the world and I plan on being the one to change them.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

You chose...wisely.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Don't forget that those two old geezers put on a uniform, picked up a rifle and headed into harm's way. They may be old and funny now but they were heroes once. They are still heroes in my book. Give them a little slack. They deserve it.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I dislike "Bill O Reilly" breed of baby boomer.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Agreed Bill O'Reilly is a total dueche... Tom Green owned him in his interview....I agree with others that we can't blame it all on one generation. Many baby boomers did seem to just ride the prosperity our country gained after world war 2, and could care less what they left behind. Just don't touch their social security. I'm a gen Xer. I know most of us were hitting our teens at the mainstream onset of the internet. To me all that meant was free music and information on whatever drugs I wanted to do. Yes I was in a band. I rebeled against the system. All without much direction or research. I think most of us were just pissed off.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

OK I'll fess up, I am a baby boomer, when we where young we did sort of have an advantage over the newer generations, we where raised by people who had fought a World war and suffered great hardship and our early years we experienced an austerity that young people today could have no concept of.

It was this hardship that made our generation very resourceful. By the time the sixties came around we where teenagers and things where starting to get better, I started doing part time jobs around the age of 9 to earn my pocket money to buy my own bike for instance. All through senior school right up to the age of 15 when I started my first job I did paper rounds or milk round or delivered groceries on a bike. We had no internet and so we where very naive about what was happening in the world.

We worked hard and saw the fruits of our labor and went on to marry and have children. The overriding goal was to give our children the things we never had while growing up.... huge mistake! We didn't realize then, that this was the early stages of social engineering that would mould a society that relied on handouts. It doesn't mean that the generation that followed us where dumber although educational standards where already starting to slide. (again engineered)

This next generation grew up with a strong sense of entitlement and it was expected that the boomers would bail them out every time they screwed up. Social engineering was now in full swing and it was an imperative for both parents to hold full time jobs. This created the latch key kids who where pacified by TV and Computer games but not the necessary parental control that provides a balanced home life for kids.

The schools where taking on the roll of parenting with a curriculum designed by TPTB, to make a new type of human being, reliant on government handouts, the proverbial nanny state. Our children then had children with parents that new nothing else, their roll models (BB's) taught their kids the way of the pacifier. Not great parenting skills because by now discipline was not politically correct from either parents or teachers.

I hate generalizing because it is unfair to many who do not fit that particular stereotype, but unless you have been through the whole thing you can't really get a full picture of how things have changed.

As a computer professional I have worked and have been productive with technology for the past 35 years in one capacity or another. There is nothing I do not understand about digital media. In the early days of desktop computing everything was so much more difficult to achieve compared to today with powerful machines that allow for easy UI's, so please don't think that if a person is over sixty that you have a technological edge.

This thread really is a testament to the change in mentality that has been moulded by TPTB with the MO of divide and conquer, drive a wedge between everything that can be considered diversive. Many of us know how the world works now.

If there is to be a calamity that brings the world to its knees we are really going to need each other more than ever. We dumb old bastards actually know how to do stuff, you know, like with our hands, make things work, make calculations without using a calculator, grow food, fix old engines, support ourselves.

Lets hope that if SHTF happens, that most of the BB's are still around to help get the world running again, after all we have done it all before.

It reminds me of the joke "when I was a teenager my parents where so stupid, but oddly as I get older, they seem to be getting smarter".

Oh by the way, yes we expect to be cared for in our old age, the same as we did for the generation before us and they the generation before them. That's what civilized societies do. Particularly when we have paid out so much to support the younger generations that are now able to work.

edit on 21-5-2012 by kennyb72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Originally posted by Jools
Er you missed a Generation out...Gen X'rs came after the baby boomers and are very hardworking, dedicated and committed. They also aren't homophobic, racist etc...

You need to do your research properly...I'm not going to comment on Gen Y as you are all too young and think you know it all which is what you've shown in your post!

Im from Gen X. Do you really think you are telling me something by telling me that Gen X exists? Seriously? And if you are from Gen X then you should not patronize Gen Y. I would expect that from a Baby Boomer.

Edit- and even an annoying "er..." Its sad when people offer up obvious information that goes without saying as if they are some kind of clever.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

Somehow I seriously doubt you are from generation X. You may have been born at the tail end of generation X or the beginning of generation Y, but your thread history and writing style strongly persuade me to believe you identify most closely with generation Y.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Yeah we're stupid all right. We put man on the moon using computing equipment so primitive we were practically doing the in-flight math in our heads. We invented video games, person computers, cell phones (I was personally involved in the pioneering of packet rf data transmission). We invented GPS, color TV. I could go on and on.

I bet I can do math in my head faster than you can do it with a calculator, kid.

But That's ok. You go ahead and keep thinking I'm stupid. Someday you'll be smart enough to understand the value of being underestimated.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
duh?
I was born in forty six......january actually, how baby boomerish can that be?
The baby boomers brought you young shmucks the real scoop on our socety and our psychological state of mind.....
baby boomers were the first to question the paradime previous generations had accepted as bottom line.....baby boomers brought you a whole list of freedom loving sages and psychological wisdom which can be used to detect the manipulations of goverments and corporations as well as other peope.
Perhaps the previous generation invented mind altering technoogy and drugs, but the baby boomers were first to chart the waters and explore the possibiliteies of these instruments.
Speaking of instruments, there are stil baby bomers out there who draw the top entertainment dollars wherever they go....
Baby boomers may have been a little too innocent for their own good, but they learned fast and eventually ended up tempering the system withh some justice, till the nazis took over most of the free world goverments.
With the assasination of JFK, and other horrific schemes of those in charge, the baby boomers fought against the mainstream takeover of these neo nazi elites.
Perhaps nobody remembers the very first "Chicago Seven" but the fight was taken up by the baby boomers and handed down to a generation unwilling to persue the altruistic aims of their forebears.
Between the baby boomers and the latest version of the ME gen, a large and very deep gap exists.....

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

There will be no way to pay for them when their health starts to fail all at once. It is going to be a massive problem for the world. The problem will be that they will still be a massive group of voters. They will all be old and easy to pander to as a group. The Baby Boomers are the worlds biggest problem.

I struggle with the same knowledge every day and I am frustrated beyond words. The Baby Boomers are too stubborn to listen to reason and only take information from MSM or church both of which are biased. They easily deflect any responsibility through stupidity and brag about their own stature. The boomers will probably doom our world because it is not only our country that has them and those old ideas of hatred they grew up with have festered into the current global religious pissing match.

Now Putin is back and they might have their nuke war anyway. They want the end of the world so they can take off in their golden chariots and ride up to heaven where their palaces await them. Meanwhile in Afghanistan our soldiers are dying and getting their nuts blown off for these parasites who would NEVER fight their own war, but love to start one. It may be a stretch to say they are all Christians, but if I were to stereotype the group due to their actions it would match the actions exactly of the Christians worldwide. Made up stories from any MSM source is all they need to ease their mind into believing the garbage they are fed and make themselves continue to feel superior and privileged.

It is no accident they don't really know what is happening. They are in denial. They have locked up their objectivity in a dark place hidden from cognizant thought. Their lives have become an extension of the shows they identified with as children when men and women slept in different beds on tv. They live a lie so they can feel better about what they have done to their children. Bush was the poster child for their generation, an arrogant unapologetic brutal moronic idiot. To the boomers, he was a prophet/infallible. If you want this groups support all you have to do is tell off color jokes in private and bash some gays while chasing an abortion doctor out of his parking lot.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

You have that right. To the guy who said that all we know about computers is how to turn one on - I have forgotten more than he knows - I have been in computers since I was 30 years old. The Apple ll did not have upper and lower case. In the 90s and 00s I traveled around the world establishing networks - I wonder if he could troubleshoot MSMAil running over a Novel network to Windows 3 clients with a token ring network. The new guys can't troubleshoot for squat, they don't seem to go back to the fundementals.

Networks weren't always around so before that I patented a device to remove cataracts with high pressure water. Before that I was a general contractor building houses. Before that designing power and free overhead materials handling systems. There was building and racing b and c sports racers in the 70s, and the trip circumnavigating the US in a C150. 20 years living on and skippering a 25 ton boat. I ride a Harley and on non rainy days I drive a little race car to work. My degree is a psych major with a soc minor. I went to a high school, Westside in omaha. Field trips included safaris in Africa, wreck diving in Yucatan and the Bahamas. We had a great autoshop too.

The primary goal of getting through westside high school was teaching kids to learn, because every

In my circle of friends I am the slacker.

So when you say my generation is dumb I take exception! I wish Zero Population growth had taken hold it was a lot easier to get things done when there were only 150 million peeps.

So far I have met a few youngins that I have respect for but I have worked with some who were really sharp in spite of their educations.

Sorry about the typos I am typing this on one of them new fangled gen something touch pad dohickies.

Repin the old fahrts NOW GET OFF MY LAWN

I think I'm in love...........

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Yeah you gotta respect the honest hard working people that made this country. As #ed up as it all may be. But compared to the rest of the world I suppose it could be worse. The country who is on top cant help but be made a target. Ive been pouring concrete most of my life and one thing I cant stand is a lazy F### who won't work, would rather steal than earn, rape than have game, or talk but make no action!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Well I'm talking bout YOUR generation, Why don't YOU all fade away

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
First you make the claim that Baby Boomers are the "stupidest generation" and host a whole litany of crimes that we are supposedly guilty of, and personal failings which you assume that every single one of us boomers has.

Then you claim that Gen Y is the "smartest" and has the "most empathy". LOL! Could have fooled me from your post.

Number 1: NEVER negatively generalize about a whole group of people. It's called prejudice, the very thing you claim your generation does not suffer from. Prejudice against people of a certain age is every bit as silly as prejudice based on skin color, gender, or sexual orientation.

Number 2: NEVER assume that you know everything about everybody, because that is impossible. The more you know, the more you realize that you DON'T know as much as you thought.

Number 3: MAKE SURE you know your history ( in your case, go from about 1850 to about 1960). Tell me if each generation was perfect, made no mistakes, and didn't generally screw something up until the boomers came along.

By your very writings, you negate your entire thread.

What you wrote was your opinion, not fact, with absolutely nothing to back it up except an irrational prejudice about a certain age group of your fellow Americans, and a cartoon.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith
reply to post by lbndhr

Genuinely sorry to hear that the future is uncertain for you, I mean this. Same here in u.k for our generation. Wife and I are,nt looking forward to old age, but I don,t suppose previous generations have either....

I asked my mother whom is still alive, did she worry like I have to as she was nearing retirement, she quickly responded no, because she knew she prepared and had social security and medicare, she said she would hate to be a boomer because there isnt going to be anything for us and we are basically scrwd.
I am worried we worked so hard for all these years, I owe 8 years on the one and only home we ever bought, and today right know my husband and I are discussing selling it and downsizing even more then our already small home. maybe a travel trailer like home on a acre somewhere in the middle of nowhere. We honestly dont expect to recieve ss in 8 years.

the differnece in baby boomers and the X and Y generation is, we are truely mentally and meteralitsticall ready for most chatastrophic events, we grew up in the post war adn cold war era, we lived daily with drills and preparations . if tshtf, the youngers will be looking to us olders cause we see we know and arent as attached ot gadgets like them.
edit on 21-5-2012 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

a very sincere post...thanks...we are all treading a path...and its tough and hard...thanks for this!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jools
FACT...I am definitely not a BB I was born in 1962 and I am a Gen X...If you base your posts on differing dates then Gen X;s wouldn't exist...doh?...Generations are shorter than the original 40 yr span

Totally wrong facts you have just wiped us off the planet...Thanks!.....

i was born in 61 and yes we are boomers. its not a bad thing. interent search the age of baby boomers it will reveal shocking truths,

no no no we are not boomers...gen x...doh! i give up

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
My biggest gripe, as a GXer, is Affirmative action. As I got out of school, suddenly high aptitude wasn't enough for a good job. Mom worked at the phone co for many years, and I thought of it as a good stable job, so I applied. BZZT, my excellent test scores were cast aside for minority applications, who achieved a lesser score.

I mention this as a generational issue because the actual people who benefited from the Old Boy Network (Boomers) were unaffected by "righting the wrong", the adjustment came out of new hires, my generation.

Where's the fairness there?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

will reveal the shocking truth of who really is a boomer

edit on 21-5-2012 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

er wiki...i don't think so...subjective

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join