It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you still believe in democracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Now, im not sure if i posted under correct topic so MODS, please move if so.

Recently my cousin and i got into a discussion about democracy. discussion started with him being a Ron Paul supporter and myself responding to it "F*** politicians, they are politicians for a dam reason. it's a monolithic agenda at the end of the day! democracy doesn't exist!!!". the reason for such response was because i was annoyed by his kerfuffle about Ron Paul as if he was god!
(i don't mean to vilify so much about Ron, i want to believe in him myself but, after all this hypocrisy through out history can i really fall for "this trickery once again?". id be a fool if i did, call me cynical but, it's only based on the experience WE'VE been through)

My opinion has drastically changed from the past and haven't been on ATS in quite some time. Iv'e supported paul since the age of 16, i am now 21. iv'e realized that democracy is just an illusion. "they" want to make you feel as if your opinion really mattered! haha

So as you continue the bickering about pity politics (as i'v'e done in the past), protested (as if so many cared; i supported/attended occupy but not 100% in agreement with them), continue to rant about the negativity in our world (as i am doing right now and which has made my life to be congested with negativity), continue to write to your congressman, continue to....whatever you do.... IT ISN'T GOING TO DO ANYTHING!

"the problem is im peaceful" - lupe fiasco
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." -JFK
"violence the tool of change" -Ron Paul

TPTB aren't going to give up too easily.
i don't want to mistaken this thread as to be an influence on violence or anything because i myself HATES violence. i believe that LOVE IS THE SOLUTION. as ridiculous at that may sound to some, it is true.

so;
Do you really believe in democracy?
what can we do to make this a better world, not just a better country?
why are so many afraid of revolution?
(those last two questions are rhetorical, one that concerns me is the first one)
iv'e lost hope in almost everything! last chunk of hope lies ON THE PEOPLE! you and i; in humanity!

by the way, i am not too good at writing so excuse me being everywhere, im sure most of you understand where im coming from.

edit on 21-5-2012 by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld because: add

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld

I pledge allegiance
To the flag
of the United States of America
And to the REPUBLIC
For which it stands
One Nation
Under God
Indivisible
With liberty and justice for all.

So no I don't believe in a Democracy. I believe in a Republic.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomXisntXFree

I pledge allegiance
To the flag
of the United States of America
And to the REPUBLIC
For which it stands
One Nation
Under God
Indivisible
With liberty and justice for all.

So no I don't believe in a Democracy. I believe in a Republic.

interesting i may say... (not being sarcastic)
so you must not believe in the separation of church and state.
"one nation, under god".?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I just recited "The Pledge" as is....I'm not very religious by any means.
To answer your question, I believe in the separation of Church and State.
I also believe in the potential separation of Business and State.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

I've never believed in democracy ever since i was a little kid.

51% of the people can dictate what 49% doesn't want, but "agreed" to because majority rules.

The entire scam that is "democracy" became even more apparant when they held 2 (!) referenda in the Netherlands about joining the Euro, which both got a 70%+ "NO" vote, and guess what....?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Democracy(or, more correctly in our modern world, republicanism) is a scam, tied to the financial system which itself is a scam. As you pointed out it gives an illusion of choice, while it's very rare to see major changes in policy. Politics is all about what kind of an image you create of yourself, not what you do - and the people fall for it again and again. Emotional issues usually cause the most heated debates, which shows that people really do not seem to understand that they are focusing on a little piece of poop in the sea, a sea which at all times has a possibility of drowning them. It's almost absurd to watch people talk passionately about issues like gay marriage, an issue which affects a few percent of the population, while the economic base of the western world is crumbling. Real democracy is no better either, as it easily descends into mob rule and on to the "Kyklos" described by the ancient Greeks.

In the end all government is bad government for the common man, and following and arguing about politics is like therapy for adults that haven't quite found their place in the world.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Shred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Do you really believe in democracy?

The United States is not, and never has been, a democracy. Our form of government is a republic. Hence, the Pledge of allegiance quoted above.

A democracy is mob rule. Meaning 51% of the people can take away the rights of the other 49%. As has also been stated.

The constitution of the United States of America is the law of the land in our country. And it applies today as much as it did when it was written. Unfortunately, those administrating our country could care less about the law of the land except where they can exempt themselves from it.

So in short. No. I don't believe in democracy as a form of government. I do feel our republic is a good form of governance if followed by both leadership, and the people. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
its a timeloop so...

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I don't believe in mob rule ever. Nobody has any rights in a mob, not even the majority.

I believe in a system where we all have rights, all rights are guaranteed, and all rights are deferred to instead of this nonsense of if a person declares it's against the rights then that person must make a case. That would help curtail so many laws that violate our civil rights. It would also help us against crap like RIAA publishing legislation to allow them to monitor your computer use.

As it stands now I have no faith in the vote because America has become a true fascist state with the corporations running everything, and nobody has any real power to fight them.

new topics

top topics

join