Montreal Martial Law Bill 78 Passes - Backlash was Immediate; Massive Civil Disobedience

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Yesterdays protest had 3000 to 7000 protesters
there were no violence and everything went smoothly
the reason for that they say that the police were more discret
et was staying far away from the big crowd

You see .. when there is no police .. the protests stay peacefull
edit on 5/22/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

It's always the police that incite violence. Protests are usually civilized until police show up. The government doesn't want people protesting the system, so they will send police out to incite violence, causing the protesters to physically fight back, giving the police an excuse to arrest them. It's a quick and easy way to shut people up.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

holy crap @that crowd 2 mins 30 or so in, what a bastard of a day to be a cop ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Like the other thread .. Mainstream Media IGNORES Iceland Revolution

Mainstream Media IGNORES Quebec Revolution
Arab revolutions were more important to the elite for their war agenda

They wanted us to see the riots in the Middle East so people here would say "Oh look, those crazy Arabs are going berserk again!" They wanted to make that revolution look like a bad thing by perpetuating the violent Arab stereotype.

They will keep the publicity to a bare minimum when it comes to the riots in Western countries because they don't want us getting any ideas. They don't want us to say "Hey look, if people are rioting in our Western society, then something MUST be afoot!"
edit on 22-5-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Stop calling it College. The protests are about the cost to go to the University.
In Quebec after 5 years of "Secondary school" we do 2-3 years of CEGEP (college) and then you can start University.
Also, remember, this is ONLY about University.
Half the population will never go to University.
Cegep students are forced out of their schools by the protesters - half of which will never set foot in a University anyway.
What about the people that study for professional jobs???
They have to pay their course.
Why would their course not be free then?
Also those who stop after Cegep are not affected.

So the original protests are about the less than 50% of Cegep students that will go to University.

Also, after all these violent protests, normal people that wake up every morning to go to work will have to pay millions to repair broken windows, police overtime, police car repairs, etc.
The same people that get to work late because the protesters attack the public transports at rush hour.
We already pay enough in taxes and such, was it not enough already?
Nope.
Future doctors want big diplomas for free to make sure they dont pay too much taxes in the future, because we all know the 99% pays 100% of the taxes.

People broke things, the people in charge instated a new law, and now other people are jumping in the band wagon - to protest against the new law, NOT against the University fees going up.

Dont trust all the propaganda, be it on the news, MSM, or ATS...!
Those who write, write what they want to be read.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Since this is a conspiracy forum and I'm from Quebec myself I'd like to contribute to this a little bit.

First when you claim that the MSM are ignoring this, maybe in the states or where you are but here in Quebec (and all over Canada) we are being bombarded by news about the students manifestations that it feels almost like the establishment wants to push this on people.

I find it pretty weird when you take a look at the big picture...

The Quebec Gov announces it will cut in higher education despite this being a hot debate for years. They knew full well that students would manifest heavily.

Then to add to the injury the gov takes the stance of: "There's no negociation, no meeting of sudents organisations, you are taking this no matter what". They closed all doors to negociation, once again knowing full well that this was going to get a lot of young people angry.

Then we heard about it religiously in the media for the following weeks. It's all you could read about and the voice coming out of everywhere was mostly against the opinion of the government and pro-manifestation. Some big TV shows started inviting guests to debate on the subject. (see tout le monde en parles)

Student groups were all the sudden very active (and well funded) and most union leaders went to back them right away.

So now the manifestations are more brutal and severe and the gov uses that excuse to pass on draconian legislations that take away from our freedom to "deal with this issue."

So now we have the conservative party (in power) of Canada pushing for new anti-riot bill of laws such as C-309 where you go in prison for 10 years if you wear a mask in a protest.

A new bill aimed at making the wearing of masks illegal during riots or “unlawful assemblies” is now closer to becoming law in Canada. Bill C-309, known as the Concealment of Identity Act, was introduced by Conservative MP Blake Richards in November 2011 in the wake of the Toronto G20 protests and the Vancouver Stanley Cup Riot. Richards' constituency is Wild Rose, Alberta.

There's also Bill 78 which has just passed a few hours ago has the following....

•Any demonstration including 10 or more people would need to submit its route, location, time, date and duration to police at least eight hours in advance for approval. Police would be allowed to order modifications to the protest.

Protest organizers, as well as any student association or federation of associations that participate in a demonstration, are accountable for the actions of all participants in the demonstration, under threat of fine.

I've been looking at the situation for weeks both in the MSM and online and I simply can't shake the feeling that all theses students have been played by the Quebec gov. Right now they are not gaining any significant political ground because the majority of the population does not support them, they see this as an issue where a bunch of students with iphones, nice clothes and yearly vacation trips are complaining about school fees and they don't seem to care at all that the gov is pushing down draconian legislations that take away more and more of our freedom.

If I were to put my conspiracy theorist hat for a second I'd say that theses manifestations are doing a VERY good job at drawing attention AWAY from the "plan nord" of the current prime minister of Quebec. Basically the north plan is a wholesale on our ressources in the northern part of the province to corporations outside the country.

Charest has been promoting the north plan for a while and was starting to get heat for it.. then all the sudden he makes the sudents pissed off and we don't hear about it anymore through MSM, the manifestations have taken up most of the news space.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
So, when you say mainstream media is ignoring it, i guess you aren't counting all those news articles about it?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alkolyk
Right now they are not gaining any significant political ground because the majority of the population does not support them, they see this as an issue where a bunch of students with iphones, nice clothes and yearly vacation trips are complaining about school fees and they don't seem to care at all that the gov is pushing down draconian legislations that take away more and more of our freedom.

Right.
Most people pay half their salary to the government (to pay for these kid's University studies) and cannot take vacation trips, while these students go to Cuba every spring, talk/txt on their 600$ phones @ 75$/month, etc.

Also the new law is mostly to stop those with bad intentions from hiding behind their masks.
Why would you wear a mask, wear 2-3 layers of clothes and bring bricks if you had no bad intentions??
Breaking windows with bricks has nothing to do with "your freedom"...
About the protests itinerary: in such a big city it is a really good idea to tell the police what your plan is, where you're going, etc.
This way they will help direct the car traffic away and clear the streets so that the protesters can walk safely.
In March/April most protests that ended badly were unplanned and the people just walked anywhere, between cars, in opposite directions of one-way's, etc. The police were trying to direct everyone in one main direction but the anarchists prefered breaking windows and innocent people's cars.
The population paid for this.
The government should not bear 100% of the blame.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I have been following religiously like all other activist programs. Great stuff, the french have a long legacy of never backing down. The government is scrambling and their numbers only continue to grow. Thinking of starting something like that here in the West. So far, support seems high, especially in Vancouver. Who knows, may start trending.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

It's interesting, because it seems that the only thing the Mainstream Media (aka Corporate/Government Media Propoganda System) ever likes to report from Canada is negative, or bad news. Living in Canada they never seem to report anything positive that ever happens in this country. I mean, they reported on the G8/G20 riots in Toronto. They might have even reported on the riots in British Columbia last year after the Stanly Cup finals. They reported the Stanley Cup riots in Montreal in 1993. The riots in Seattle got more coverage. So it's "strange" that these particular riots (hundreds and hundreds arrested) is getting so little airplay, as it were. It's bad news in Canada after all, the sort of thing the World news only seems to want to report about from this particular country. Wonder why that is. (during the 90's when Canada was debt free, the only country in the World to accomplish this, no news media anywhere wanted to report this, but the first bad news, like an accident, natural disaster, or political controversy that happened, they'd be all over it.)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by neoxxis

Originally posted by Alkolyk
Right now they are not gaining any significant political ground because the majority of the population does not support them, they see this as an issue where a bunch of students with iphones, nice clothes and yearly vacation trips are complaining about school fees and they don't seem to care at all that the gov is pushing down draconian legislations that take away more and more of our freedom.

Right.
Most people pay half their salary to the government (to pay for these kid's University studies) and cannot take vacation trips, while these students go to Cuba every spring, talk/txt on their 600$ phones @ 75$/month, etc.

Also the new law is mostly to stop those with bad intentions from hiding behind their masks.
Why would you wear a mask, wear 2-3 layers of clothes and bring bricks if you had no bad intentions??
Breaking windows with bricks has nothing to do with "your freedom"...
About the protests itinerary: in such a big city it is a really good idea to tell the police what your plan is, where you're going, etc.
This way they will help direct the car traffic away and clear the streets so that the protesters can walk safely.
In March/April most protests that ended badly were unplanned and the people just walked anywhere, between cars, in opposite directions of one-way's, etc. The police were trying to direct everyone in one main direction but the anarchists prefered breaking windows and innocent people's cars.
The population paid for this.
The government should not bear 100% of the blame.

I agree on most of your points but here's a few things;

I won't go into the "spoiled kids" students debate because it's useless, there's some rich kids and some not so rich and it's probably have been like that for generations. Sure some now have 600$ iphones but so does everyone else, do you expect our society to go back to labor intensive days where people lived in families of 12 and had to work insanely hard for years before they could pay for education? Of course not, I'd rather have an open society where people have plenty of free time to share, improve themselves and society, etc...

I agree to an extent about the mask but I believe that we are being naive about it;
Masks have been allowed for how many years?
Why is it such an issue now?
One thing for sure is that police agencies use profiling against demonstrators and what has changed is the technology that allows to do so.

About the government not bear 100% of the blame... it's true but it's also kind of like saying: "I put my house on fire but I should not be blamed for the broken TV"
It just doesn't make sense.. The governement applied the education cuts and then refused to talk to student groups and union leaders; they knew very well what was going to happen and it sure feels like there's a huge responsibility on them. The citizens should be pissed at the government just as much as the guy who just broke your car _

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlkolykThe governement applied the education cuts and then refused to talk to student groups and union leaders.

Without going too deep into details...
The government did not ask me before adding 1% to the TVQ last january... But nobody broke windows.
Because people thought we all have our part to do in this so called society.

Now the government did sit with the students representatives (if you still want to call them that) and ended up with a consensus plan, SIGNED by the student representatives after long discussions...
What happened before the document was even printed?
The anarchist core stated that they will not approve of the plan (even though they did NOT read it yet!!!).

There was discussions.
There was a consensus.
The students still broke windows.
There is no issue to this until everyone realizes that we all have a part to do.
My buddy did not go to the University.
He went to professional school to learn mechanic.
He had to pay for his course.

If we want free studies, IT MUST BE FREE FOR EVERYONE.
Not only the Elite that want to go to the University.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This is starting to be ridiculous around here, I am from Quebec too and this become an rolling ball effect.

At the beginning, the government wanted to increase the school fees by 1778$ on 5 years, which give an increase of 355$ per year. Student associations came up to government and start complaining, starting to protest which I agree they have the rights to do. Government start negotiating with them, but the students didn't want to hear anything.

The government came with a new proposition, adding up to some bonus to go to school, programs etc, and extend the increase of 1778$ on 7 years, which give an increase of 254$ per year.

If you calculate that the student receive a return in taxes every year, the increase end up being 180$ after taxes return per year. The students were still complaining and not listening to government proposition. Finally the minister of education quite by herself being discouraged by the students attitude. They storm in a new minister and the government stopped negotiating with the students leaders. Few days later they pass in the law 78.

However on that same week, students paralyzed the metro system here by throwing 4 smoke bombs in 4 main stations, blocking millions of people in morning commute. This needed to stop. You are causing trouble, you are disrupting peace and cause massive panic. They are also trying to block bridges, streets, throw rocks in business windows.

If you want to protest, you can do it, be peaceful etc, but you need to be organize, let the police know about your informations like most of the city around the worlds requested. Again the students are saying, F*** that.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigcoupee
They don't even understand what they are protesting, lower tuition? For what? A degree built mainly on the memorization of useless information. Refuse to support their brainwash centres they call universities thats the ultimate protest. The current curriculm is based on the "science" of an unsustainable model. Instead the students should focus there energy on creating a sustainable model, a return to the balance of nature. Rioting is just another sign that people are beginning to wake, I find new indications that people are beginning to wake everyday.

Yes, I feel the same way. I think people have been gradually waking up during the last few years, but it seems to be really speeding up within the last year. People all over the world are simply restless and pissed off because they are sick of everything. This has been a long time in the making, and it's reaching a boiling point now, there is no doubt about that.

Also, in regards to what you said about school. I agree 100%. I thought you'd enjoy this quote if you have never read it before:

"That erroneous assumption is to the effect that the aim of public education is to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence, and so make them fit to discharge the duties of citizenship in an enlightened and independent manner. Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all, it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States, whatever the pretensions of politicians, pedagogues and other such mountebanks, and that is its aim everywhere else."
~ H.L. Mencken

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, Canada's biggest cities all have had some type of civil disturbance in the past year, doesn't that seem strange to anyone? and then they bring in these new 'laws'

were all 3 events provoked or staged to legitimize whatever the state needs to do for 'public safety'?

vancouver

toronto

montreal

edit on 22-5-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Good job Ben. I don't hear much about Canada, which seems odd because they are right above us. I enjoyed the the pic where it showed, I'm guessing, thousands of people/students taking to the streets. The people of Quebec have the right to voice their opinions to their corrupt gov'ts. I support them.

Stars and flag!

-SAP-

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I am 32 years old and have lived in Quebec all my life. I was getting tired of the protests when it was all about tuition fees as I know we have the lowest in the country and that the increase was not even a dollar a day and the students wouldnt hear of it.

With this new "law" though, I have changed opinion and support the protesters. Not about tuition fees, but for our rights...this is going too far!!!

edit on 22-5-2012 by Teye22 because: to add

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Here, I don't know if this has been posted yet but you can follow the protests live here on the daily.
Today marks the 100th day of student srike.

cutvmontreal.ca...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
When OWS went inside because it was too cold, these guys were still here, outside in -30 degees celcius.

Thats what the media never told you.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Oh and for all of you who are buying into what the MSM is feeding you about the scale of these protests, have a look at the copter feed. Does that look to you like a handful of rag-tag left wing extremists to you?

tvanouvelles.ca...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by laterallateral
Here, I don't know if this has been posted yet but you can follow the protests live here on the daily.
Today marks the 100th day of student srike.

cutvmontreal.ca...

Latest figures put the number of protestors at 400,000 people! This is huge!

new topics
top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join