It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 51st State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Hola!

After a year on ATS i decided to make my first thread on a subject that is very important to me.
The political status of my country: Puerto Rico.

The purpose of the thread is to get the opinions and input from americans on ATS on the subject.
The status of the island is the more debated and controversial topic in puertorican politics.
And the more divisive.

Puerto Rico has been a U.S. territory since 1898 when Spain ceded PR, Guam and other territories to the U.S. after the Spanish-American War. Puertoricans have been U.S. citizens by birth since 1917 and have fought in every war the U.S. has been involved in since World War 1.
Puerto Rico's main language is spanish, the culture is mainly hispanic, with a mix of Taino and African cultures.
But in recent times it has become very americanized, wich has added to the cultural richness of the island.
Puerto Rico currently ranks 29th in population among the states.
To my fellow ATSers (mainly americans) I ask:

Would you be in favor of PR joining the Union?
Would you demand certain conditions be met?
Would the general population of the US have a say in it (like vote) or is it entirely up to Congress?

Personally I support full independence. Any questions are welcome.

Discuss!

51 State
Puerto Rico

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Peronsally, I would have no issue with it.

I would have to ask Puerto Ricans, though, why they would want it? lol There's so many issues that the US has been dealing with and handing to their citizens that, as a territory, as opposed to a state, you guys don't have to deal with. Or, at least, to a much lesser degree.

But, yes, I would support it.

I don't think the public would get a vote, though.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Dembow

Flag nomba Juan for you!

Personally I don't know about Puerto Rican politics, but if the country can sustain and defend itself, I vote for independence.

Coming from a British territory, I understand where you're coming from.
The difference with our politics is that we can't sustain and defend ourselves on our own because we're so small.
But it's a romantic idea.

Best of luck with that compadre

edit on 21-5-2012 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
But if Purto Rico became independent , that means Ricans would have to follow the same rules for immigration.

Americans will hate you just as much for taking our jeerbs.

You don't want that.

Just ask the Mexicans.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I think the decision should be up to the people of PR. I live right outside of Wash.D.C. another US territory and they want statehood and Congress won't give it to them. So I doubt Congress would allow PR to become a state.

If PR does become a state my only condition is I want a lifetime supply of your rum.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Why would puertoricans want it? Great question
Puertoricans have been taught to believe that the island
Cannot sustain itself, that if independence comes people will starve. Also the belief that being "associated" like now, or a state is the solution for everything. Lots of puertoricans are stuck in the "US is all powerful and can do no wrong" mentality. Totally oblivious to the very serious problems the US is facing today.

Also the US brutally supressed the independence movement from the get go, even outlawing the flag and national anthem till 1952.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dembow
reply to post by Jomina

Why would puertoricans want it? Great question
Puertoricans have been taught to believe that the island
Cannot sustain itself, that if independence comes people will starve. Also the belief that being "associated" like now, or a state is the solution for everything. Lots of puertoricans are stuck in the "US is all powerful and can do no wrong" mentality. Totally oblivious to the very serious problems the US is facing today.

Also the US brutally supressed the independence movement from the get go, even outlawing the flag and national anthem till 1952.

Coming at things from the perspective of an Indian, I understand those kinds of things completely.

I'd also point out how the US has completely failed to keep up with even one single treaty they signed with any of the Amerind nations, as well, to show that if PR was to be given any kind of status like that, it'd probably not work out too well for them.

But people usually only pay attention to what's in front of them, and things are really designed to facilitate that.

I do, beyond belief, hope for the best for the country. It really sucks to be in a "middle" state of being. Not here, not there, just somewhere in between and floating. :| bad place of mind to be at, as a nation.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Tnx Dr. Nice to see you, hermano.
The island certainly can sustain itself, smaller countries do it. The defense is an issue, but it can be resolved. The US could take care of that like it does for other countries.
With the number of ricans in the US Army, a defense force could be formed, but without borders or enemies, it's not a reason to worry.

Romantic indeed, tnx for the flag compadre!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Depends on what the US decides. 4 million puertoricans live in the US, half of all of us. It's a complicated issue. A solution proposed by new political groups it's a "associated republic" where certain ties like citizenship could be kept. No reasons to hate on ricans, enemies to the US we are not, and we have shed blood together on the same battlefields. The relationship is quite different from mexicans.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by XcytaBill

I'm well aware of DC's fight for statehood because is similar to PR's situation. What I don't remember is if DC's residents are allowed to vote in presidential elections, we can't, we also can't own guns like in the states, here it's a privilege not a right. Witch makes us second class citizens.

Ah if you ever come down to the island u2u me, the rum is on me, and it WILL be flowing like a river lol. Salud!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dembow

Yes DC residents can vote for potus and they can own guns. Won't be coming down as long as TSA still has xrays and/or pat downs. Hope the whole world can figure out its problems it would be nice if everyone was free, independent and have open borders.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I thought Holyoke, Massachusetts was the new Peurto Rico

Mas Beneficio!!!!

top topics

join