It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get a job that pays $50/hour or more

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

They try, that has lead to even greater problems because the companies that now administer things like programming tests don't understand what the company is looking for, and the test comes before an HR screen, and then never gets looked at by the company.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

They try, that has lead to even greater problems because the companies that now administer things like programming tests don't understand what the company is looking for, and the test comes before an HR screen, and then never gets looked at by the company.

Being a hiring manager, poor HR screening is 100% the fault of the manager.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Being a hiring manager, poor HR screening is 100% the fault of the manager.

It's an industry wide problem. Hiring managers don't know what they're hiring for. In law, a hiring manager knows what sort of legal expertise they're looking for in a candidate, in construction the contractor knows what they're looking for. In tech that is not true, so few people understand what they're actually looking for that they can't properly find or evaluate candidates.

Let me give an example: Your company wants to hire someone to build and maintain an app. What technologies do you need to use? If you don't even know that much, how can you screen for people? If you do have a list of technologies, how do you know you've picked the right tools for the job? It's an industry where the blind lead the blind.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

In tech that is not true, so few people understand what they're actually looking for that they can't properly find or evaluate candidates.

Let me give an example: Your company wants to hire someone to build and maintain an app. What technologies do you need to use? If you don't even know that much, how can you screen for people? If you do have a list of technologies, how do you know you've picked the right tools for the job? It's an industry where the blind lead the blind.

I understand the point you are making, but before I was a senior manager I was a SME in my technical field, so maybe they need to make more app SMEs managers lol...

edit on 25-4-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
People still need a working toilet and lights.

Drywall, stonework, car maintenance.

Plenty of work if ya can stand getting dirty and take a scraped knuckle or 2.

Can make some real money at them jobs.

edit on 4 25 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I can vouch, this method works, I did it a bit differently, learned html, css, drupal, wordpress, marketing, SEO, and went the digital agency route, and that's been very rewarding. I have a career / am salary, but no college, self taught, am in a manager role for an agency, for a few years now.

It's a brave new world for marketers who have to tell the truth and be honest as a means of growth... lol

Hell, being an SEO involves cybersecurity, web development, web design, A.I., API, Php / mysql, super sleuthing and some divinci like creative problem solving, as well...

college is over rated, if you have a passion, and a clear path to learn it, and execute a project based learning, do it, you will hands down, learn more than most, however, don't skip the basics, knowing what is the basics and beyond, is kinda the point of school, so if you don't feel confident there, then, yeah goto college

Coding, technical problem solving, research / data based decision making, isn't for everyone, but busy minds and organized minds work best.

Also for Hiring, this is why I use project based interviewing, I find a few things they SHOULD be able to do, create a scenario for them to do it, and measure their output.
edit on 25-4-2018 by Tranceopticalinclined because: Cheesey Trump Tator King - Now this thread ranks for that keyword...

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
OP is right but coding isn't for everyone.

I tried it for a couple years and despised it. But many do and would like it. It's also a good option for those who are clueless about how to make a better life for themselves.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Somehow I doubt you're writing AI's with html and css, those aren't even real languages, they're just markup.

Using an AI is not remotely the same as building them.

As far as project based hiring goes, that's part of the whole problem. Projects simply take too long. If each company gives an 8 hour project, which is the average, and you have a 1% chance of getting hired, that's 800 hours of free work you're doing, just to try and get a job. And what that means, is that potential applicants who could be a good fit are too busy doing all these projects to ever apply to your company, so you'll never find them.
edit on 26-4-2018 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I'm getting ready to retire and opening a home and hideaway security business that cabin owners can call me to check out their homes and keep them informed of issues. first week of my ad I had 22 people call for info. Website soon and company only phone number. If I can get where I want it will be about $2k a month extra for about 10 hours of work a week.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
wait...wait 75 k per year is less than the union laborers in Seattle and they use only brooms and shovels......they''re at 37 an hour counting benefits

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Nothing wrong with that, the unskilled need to be able to have a reasonable income too.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
My wife is looking for some part-time work. She is a redhead, so she primarily harvests souls.

(FUN FACT: redheads get 1 freckle for each soul harvested. My wife has a lot of freckles... )

Is there a soul-to-dollar exchange rate?

This could be useful. I feel like a freckle waiting to happen...

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Good thread and good advice. This applies to other types of programming as well. I picked up Android development as a hobby 5 or 6 years ago, became semi well known in the custom ROM community, and now I work full time doing original Android development and reverse engineering in Cali, with no formal education in the field. I wouldn't wish php on anyone though.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
Good thread and good advice. This applies to other types of programming as well. I picked up Android development as a hobby 5 or 6 years ago, became semi well known in the custom ROM community, and now I work full time doing original Android development and reverse engineering in Cali, with no formal education in the field. I wouldn't wish php on anyone though.

While that's possible, your chances of getting an actual job are much better if you actually get a Computer Science or related degree (and no, an MIS is not related). Failing that, a good bootcamp can help. Bootcamps actually have very high job placement rates, but career advancement from them is going to be minimal. Starting without a formal education is possible, but getting into positions where you can not only support yourself but also advance are rare.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: LordGoofus

""Posts like this scare me... they trivialise an occupation that is nowhere near as "easy" as it's made out to be.""

I have read this posting twice now and I can't find anywhere where they said it would be "easy".
One thing I learned a very long time ago was nothing worth while is ever "easy". Actually everything you get in this world has a price attached to it. And not always in money.
The only thing you really have to do is decide if that thing you want is worth the price you may have to pay for it.
Be it in money, marbles, or chalk.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
In a society where a large number of all High School graduates continue on to get college degrees, college degrees no longer increase their chances of getting that big pay check.

I encourage young people to forego the college life and to become an apprentice or learn a skill.

The poor and the rich equally have need of repairs at one time or another.

When the water pipes in your house break, few people squabble about how much it is going to cost to come fix. The only thing they want to know is how quickly you can get there. Every minute that water flows cost them more money.

Learning a skill increases your chances of being self employed and increases your chances of being able to find a job. I also encourage classes in budgeting, saving, marketing, advertising, and networking.

Lean toward things that will not be automated within the next decade or so, or things were people are willing to pay for those items made by hand.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

if you want a job thats not a warehouse job you have to have a degree or you're resume will never pass through the hands of a human

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
That is why I encourage skills and self employment.

College degrees have just become pieces of paper that are used to reduce the number of applicants that have to be reviewed.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Yea self employement sounds great but reality is that most people are not capable nor should they have to be also market entry cost more than ever and with 50% of the population making 30k or less they dobt have the resources

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
I live in the country were there are a large number of day workers. While none would be considered wealthy, most make enough to pay for a room, to eat, and to send money home to their families. I am not saying this is a perfect solution but it beats starving or waiting in line for a handout.

The guy that used to cut my grass started out with two push mowers. With time he was able to buy a riding mower. He hired a guy to ride the mower and he used the push mower. Shortly after that he was able to buy another riding mower. He hired a guy to ride the second mower and he did the weed eating. He has a nice little business going that keeps him comfortable if not rich.

Having a college degree is not going to bring in pay checks for all the children that have them. It is prudent that they look for another way to sustain themselves.

<< 1    3 >>

join