It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About the Garden of Eden Story

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Pft. The book was written by prophets, and your interpretation is wrong. You're applying a literal interpretation to text written is prophetic language which guarantees you're going to get it wrong. The Tree of Life and Tree of Knowledge are not trees at all. Nor is water really water, nor mountains really mountains, nor islands really islands. You see but you do not percieve, you hear but do not understand. The beginning is the end and the end is the beginning.

Ah, so you have the correct interpretation? Says who?

Do you interpret the whole creation story as prophetic or only the part of them eating the fruits?
edit on 22-5-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

All of it is prophetic, right down to the heptadic code and the geneaology of names. EwR knows what i am talking about, so does NuT.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Pft. The book was written by prophets, and your interpretation is wrong. You're applying a literal interpretation to text written is prophetic language which guarantees you're going to get it wrong. The Tree of Life and Tree of Knowledge are not trees at all. Nor is water really water, nor mountains really mountains, nor islands really islands. You see but you do not percieve, you hear but do not understand. The beginning is the end and the end is the beginning.

Ah, so you have the correct interpretation? Says who?

Do you interpret the whole creation story as prophetic or only the part of them eating the fruits?
edit on 22-5-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

All of it is prophetic, right down to the heptadic code and the geneaology of names. EwR knows what i am talking about, so does NuT.

Ah, so you're not a YEC who reads Genesis literally?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
When doesn't a christian thread hear on ats turn into a sumerian argument. I for one paid attention in school. I believed "MOST" of what was told to me in history class. I figured out all the false truths myself with my highly intelligent analytical skills. History really was a class, not just a word. But a subject of learning. Sounds like you were too busy sleeping though. Or spitting spitballs at the back of peoples heads.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
God: "If you put your hand on the stove, surely you will be burned"

Serpent: "As long as the stove isn't on, you will not surely be burned, and you can control the intensity of the heat coming from the flame. You will be like chefs, knowing how to use the flame"

Eve: ponders what she should do, decides to check if the stove is hot, sees it isn't, tells Adam

Adam: sees the stove isn't hot, they start to make 5-star meals, God gets angry that they aren't the mindless drones he created them to be, throws them out the kitchen

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad
Given that the bible was written no later than 2000 years ago and that its internal "timeline" suggests it cannot have been written earlier than about 8000 years ago then the only person on this planet capable of knowing the "truth" is somebody who was there at the time and thus between 2000 and 8000 years old.

If you are not this age than the "truth" is merely your subjective interpretation. Which means the title should be :

"Yet another guess" about the Garden of Eden Story.

Sorry and goodnight.

It is the truth about the Garden of Eden story. Know why? Because the Garden of Eden story only exists in the papers of religious worship. So it's pretty damn easy to research it. No one needs to go back in time 2000+ years because everything that happened is right there on paper. I'd be damned if someone used that excuse

"There's no way you can know about ____(from the Bible) because you weren't there!"

If it's in the Bible, I can prop open the book, and prove to you what I can prove. There is no need to go back in time. And if there is need to go back, that's like saying "the Bible shouldn't be trusted, you should go back and look for yourself", which contradicts the entire religion encompassing the book.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

There are quite a few misconceptions floating around the Genesis story, especially regarding the Devil. Orthodox Christians tell us the Devil began his career of evil in the Garden of Eden.

Why would I keep reading when the very first thing you say is dead wrong?

The very first death threat uttered in the Bible was given by God. "In the day you eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil which is in the midst of the Garden, you shall surely die."

God warned them. He doesn't make threats.
That's why it tells you after the devil lied to them saying, " You will not surely die ! " What happened to Adam later on ? It says very specifically HE DIED. So who is the liar here besides OP ?
This is all crap.

Truth!
What a joke that is.
edit on 22-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by anoncoholic
Death threats from God who created man to live?

Yes, good to know you read the OP

Don't put your hand on the stove or you will get burned so the devil says look, the stove won't burn you (until it gets turned on) and as foolish as man (and your interpretation) is oh, lookie, no burn.

You then proceed to blame God for all the ills of the world by claiming it is God who is the liar?

All of the ills? And I thought you read the OP, you sly dog
Maybe you should read it again. The point about god in the OP is God was preventing Adam and Eve to learn the difference between truth and lies.

... not even worth correcting your flavor of what you deem is truth... like you were even there... surprise, The Holy Ghost was there and is still here... until man reaches that point of falling away as your thread tries to draw all into the snare.

Why would anyone need to be there. It's written in the Bible, proven using facts from the Bible. Are you saying we shouldn't trust the Bible and go back for ourselves? What a Christian you are. And then you contradict yourself by saying the Holy Ghost was there and still is. How would you know? Where YOU there?

Yes, the devil is a crafty one and uses tools like yourself to convince man that it is God who is evil because you know what? The devil is god on earth for a reason... man since Adam and Eve were left alone to grow up as God decided back then that since our Faith in Him was dead (by eating and not listening) we needed to learn by example and all the woes of man and the tree of knowledge have borne its fruit.

After reading the Apocrypha, I can hardly say that Adam and Eve were left to grow without God. God helped them alot when they were banished from the Garden, and his angels also.

The understanding of God in some will never happen for God Himself blinds those minds... simply separating the wheat from the chaff.

Wait, so God blinds me so I can't understand him? What kind of twisted logic does god have? To seperate the wheat from the chaff? He blinded me! He should be the one being reprimanded!

God left us to grow without His guidance and all we had were the fallen angels influence.

Let's assume that's true. So now we live in a world where have all the tools needed to make this planet better, or Science (or Magic) (given by the fallen angels), but as a race we do not use these tools to better our fellow man so we can all succeed as a whole (we are created by God, so we are flawed, because of him). I think the fallen angels actually did some good then.

People like yourself who are so full of ego as to blame God for your void never comprehended just which direction we took... nor how the direction of following the Lord in His path would have led our evolving as a society.

Blame? No one is acknoweleding a void except for you, who believes that everyone who does not love and praise your leader O' so dearly should be damned to an eternal flaming pit. I'd say we took a mighty fine direction. All the wars we had, all the killings this world had seen, but all the love given towards people from other people, families, lives, that has made us an enduring civilization (human race). If we can only change the drivers of this limo we call earth (corrupt world leaders), we may end up controlling the moon. The solar system. The Sun! Our entire arm of the Milky Way! Who would God be then? Nothing but what we believe is the perfect self. And you won't get there by looking down, into your book. You only get there looking in.

It will be only through experiencing the forthcoming death as told of by God and our original sin will you finally (and too late) come to realize that the battleground has always been in the mind and you surrendered the day you quit believing in God.

Yes! You understand! The battleground is in the mind! Either you choose to serve your leader blindly, or you use your mind and rational thought! glad to see you understand now! what a journey this has been

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

SilentKoala: you are totally messed up. Who loves you more your parent or some dude on the street who wants to use you as a body for sale?

That passage I know like no one else I have ever met and I will not disclose why your words irritate me so much. Lets just say...I lost my child and husband to this set of verses. You presume too, that living forever is a good thing. Is it? Like how? Would you like to keep coming back deformed, poor, despised, on the street?

AS they say, the devil is in the details. Yes, they keep living, but they die and come back and come back and come back...Is this good? In addition here is a little verse for you to consider oh, man who thinks God should be in the dock. Genesis 3:22

Then the LORD God said, "Look, the human beings have become like us, knowing both good and evil. What if they reach out, take fruit from the tree of life, and eat it? Then they will live forever!"
God didn't want to say it outright in order to confuse or upset anybody, but they are already doing this! In other words, if an "original" from the Garden wants your life they will help themselves to it. They will say what you say, be there at the right time, know how to invent by watching you etc. NOW THIS IS RARE, but it happened to me.
edit on 04/18/2012 by Destiny10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
How can anybody believe any of the # written in any of the religious texts?

Its more crazy than John Lennon's psychedelic blabbing. Its more crazy than the stories of the Brothers Grimm.

To believe such far out tales is to admit absolute lunacy. Open your goddamn eyes people, just cause a book tells you something, you should not expect it to be true.

What was this site's motto again? Deny ignorance? You'd expect people to at least be able to listen to that and see a book is not always what its claimed to be.

Also, I know I will get blocked, banned what have you. I don't care.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Destiny10

People who refute the bible and know what there talking about are at least tolerable. OP doesn't qualify. Not with this mess.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I forgot to mention that people will do anything to get what they want, even sell their soul. Sometimes, I believe it is an accident or error, but often it is deliberate. Yes, I believe that some have actually sold their soul to the devil for the man, for the woman, for wealth, for anything their little heart desires. They figure God forgives and all will be well. "Do what thou wilt." huh, hope you're not the one in their way!

link   

Originally posted by Destiny10

SilentKoala: you are totally messed up. Who loves you more your parent or some dude on the street who wants to use you as a body for sale?

That passage I know like no one else I have ever met and I will not disclose why your words irritate me so much. Lets just say...I lost my child and husband to this set of verses. You presume too, that living forever is a good thing. Is it? Like how? Would you like to keep coming back deformed, poor, despised, on the street?

AS they say, the devil is in the details. Yes, they keep living, but they die and come back and come back and come back...Is this good? In addition here is a little verse for you to consider oh, man who thinks God should be in the dock. Genesis 3:22

Then the LORD God said, "Look, the human beings have become like us, knowing both good and evil. What if they reach out, take fruit from the tree of life, and eat it? Then they will live forever!"
God didn't want to say it outright in order to confuse or upset anybody, but they are already doing this! In other words, if an "original" from the Garden wants your life they will help themselves to it. They will say what you say, be there at the right time, know how to invent by watching you etc. NOW THIS IS RARE, but it happened to me.

We all have personal experiences but that is no reason to bash someone just because he is explaining a popular misconception. Ok, you lost your child and husband to those verses, I can be sympathetic but is that any reason to bash? Did he jump out and scream at the top of his lungs "Destiny10 **** your child and husband!"? No. He didn't. And that's not even an anti-argument. He also did not presume living forever is a good thing. He is just stating that God lied, yet you somehow, by some miracle of thought, felt offended and decided to try and make him feel bad with a story. Like I said, I can be sympathetic, but will you use the death of your child and husband just to try and make someone else feel as though they've done wrong?

link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
How can anybody believe any of the # written in any of the religious texts?

Its more crazy than John Lennon's psychedelic blabbing. Its more crazy than the stories of the Brothers Grimm.

To believe such far out tales is to admit absolute lunacy. Open your goddamn eyes people, just cause a book tells you something, you should not expect it to be true.

What was this site's motto again? Deny ignorance? You'd expect people to at least be able to listen to that and see a book is not always what its claimed to be.

Also, I know I will get blocked, banned what have you. I don't care.

Tell us your rendition of creation and existence in a way that doesn't sound eactly as you have said here !
It's easy to pick apart anyones beliefs especially when you haven't stated your own.

So go ahead I'm waiting.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Meybee soooo....

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

There are quite a few misconceptions floating around the Genesis story, especially regarding the Devil. Orthodox Christians tell us the Devil began his career of evil in the Garden of Eden.

Why would I keep reading when the very first thing you say is dead wrong?

The very first death threat uttered in the Bible was given by God. "In the day you eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil which is in the midst of the Garden, you shall surely die."

That's why it tells you after the devil lied to them saying, " You will not surely die ! " What happened to Adam later on ? It says very specifically HE DIED. So who is the liar here besides OP ?
This is all crap.

Truth!
What a joke that is.

Did you even read the whole OP? Read it again. Don't skip over words or paragraphs this time.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

As I said," Why would I " ?

What's so hard to comprehend in that ?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I can understand your feelings since I also have children. But, would you set up a situation for your young children in which you know they will not succeed, only to punish them for it? Would you threaten them with death? Would you curse their descendants because of their failure?

But we have succeeded because we already know how the story ends.

I cried for 2 days after I had my first daughter.
I questioned the wisdom of bringing life into this beautiful, yet violent world. As that little, unaware, helpless living person lay beside me in bed and squirmed, I contemplated it's sheer innocence and inexperience. I contemplated the fact that there would come a day that she hurt. That she lied and was lied to. The grief she would experience the first time she understood death.
I felt guilty. I felt like it was selfish of me to have brought a child into this world, knowing full well the "absolutes" she would experience, as well as the "likelihoods" and "possibilities." Most of these experiences being the result of someone else's choices-- good and bad, helpful and hurtful.
My ancestors made a choice to come to a strange new land a few hundred years ago. That I was born in America was a direct result of their choice, even though it was made hundreds of years ago and even though I would never know them.
More recently in contrast, my mother made the choice to have sex when she was 14 years old. Her choice was a direct affect on when I was born and would forever affect the circumstances of my life as it played itself out--good and bad.
I have experienced making bad decisions, but I have also experienced making good ones. I have experienced the curse of hurt and shame, but I have also experienced the blessing of joy and fulfillment. All of which were ultimately led to by the decisions made from 9 months up to hundreds and even thousands of years before I was ever born.
The bad choices and the "sins" of my ancestors have served as a curse upon our lineage, but the good choices have served as a blessing. Even though my life has had its share of harrowing and grievous seasons, I am glad that my mother chose to let me live. I am glad that I am here and for me, the end definitely justifies the means. And I think that my ancestors would find great joy and fulfillment in that, even though it comes at such a high price and fraught with such peril and pain.
I also have learned that I can look forward to the joy and fulfillment that will be experienced by those who will be born as a result of my decisions.

Because I longed to experience the sweet dichotomy of a relationship with something that was a part of myself, yet distinctly separate from myself, and because I was made in God's image, I believe that's what God wanted too.
I wanted to give life to have a life that held true value, the reward of which being exponential in it's return. I wanted to teach that extension of myself, but also to learn from it-- to have a symbiotic relationship with it the way I believe God intended (and still intends) to have with us.
I have had to ask myself, "Would the end justify the means?"
So far, I think it has and even though not without occasional doubt, I believe it will continue to do so.

Why do children suffer? Why do people do what they do? Why are their choices allowed to affect those around them? Why are some born into poverty and others into fortune? Why are some abused and others spared? Why do some believe yet others are incapable to do so? And others who are capable, but still choose the lie?

I have found very few answers that didn't only serve to lead to more questions.
I am wise enough to concede creation to its Creator and relinquish my opinions and inquiries about its purpose and fulfillment until I acquire the additional wisdom to be able to comprehend it.

It is important that we never allow the things we do not fully understand to obscure or distract us from the areas of Truth in which God has provided clear understanding.
--Derek Prince, "War In Heaven"

P.S. Missed seeing you around lately, glad to see you back
edit on 22-5-2012 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by mr10k

As I said," Why would I " ?

What's so hard to comprehend in that ?

I was referring to the second half, not the first

This is all crap.

Truth!
What a joke that is.

edit on 22-5-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

See partner if God told them they would surely die. Then certainly if they would have obeyed their creator they would have not died. Adam lived 969 years but was created immortal. Mankind lost immortality as a result of sin.
The wages of sin is death. Get it. It's really to simple to get all fouled up !

Satan himself will someday die.

Who owns the keys to death?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
No matter how the story of the creation and downfall of humans is interpreted, almost every detail of the narrative makes it appear mythological. If a different creation story were believed as fact, I have little doubt that this one would be lumped together with every other past civilizations' mythology, considered to be equally credible.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join