It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About the Garden of Eden Story

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
whywontgodhealamputees.com...

15c.) Intellectual Property: You will not Post any copyrighted material owned by others, material belonging to another person, material previously Posted by you on another website, or link to any copyrighted material without providing proper attribution*, as defined by TAN, to its original source.

15d.) Cross-Posting: You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards (unless you receive advance written permission from TAN or their agents). You will not post-by-proxy the material of banned members or other individuals who are not members, but have written a response to content within a thread on these forums.
Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review
edit on Tue May 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue May 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+1145 more 
posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
So long as you're INTERPRETING, you're not automatically dealing with TRUTH. Should have labeled this an alternative view of the Garden of Eden story, leaving less room for people to assume that you look at things from a skewed viewpoint.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

That's basic common sense.

But, people tend to get carried away by their own theories, especially when it agrees with a predisposition of theirs.

Knowing this basic fact of human nature, I know longer make claims of irrefutable contestability, when logically, it is merely an interpretation that accords with a bias I hold.

That's not to say I don't hold to one view over another - I do - It's just i try to stay intellectually honest about it.

I do hold certain things to be true, but unfortunately, God made things in such a way where one persons truth appears equivocal in the sight of another. Thus, it's better not to get caught up in the fruitless debate about 'truth'.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Your closing 'question' is moot and/or confusing...
If you are asking if your interpreation makes sense...the answer is yes, because you have constructed a homogenous argument based on your own interpretation.
If you are asking if the story outside of your interpretation makes sense...the answer is yes, because you have constructed a homogenous argument based on your interpretation.

Alove

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
If you want to read an interesting philosophical exegesis of this subject (independent of certain traditional biases, whether Rabbinic or Gnostic), check out "The Beginnings of Wisdom:Reading Genesis" by Leon Kass.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I still draw conclusions that I live by, and I expect people to do the same. Since I think I have a better way, I'm going to attempt to talk about my way. Hopefully I do it with the humility of acknowledging the chance that I'm wrong.

For the specific issue of this thread, the easiest issue to deal with is: if there is something that created you for a purpose, you're not going to get past this purpose, no matter how evil you insist on calling this creator. Either you will fulfill that, or be thrown in the trash heap unwanted. Sounds like a lot of what the Bible states, that.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

The Bible is full of contradictions!

Myths encapsulate important cultural truths (i.e. origin myths) and certain stories can diffuse to other geographic areas in close proximity through contact. It's almost inevitable for occurrences like this to happen as long as people can travel.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
so.... ignorance is bliss? They had complete happiness until they ate from the tree of knowledge and destroyed their "ignorance" and sorrow followed them thereafter.

*some of the present day folks are getting closer and closer to being "blissful" again!!! (bad, bad, bad, but hadda say it...but won't argue about it)
edit on 21-5-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I don't think that you even believe this.

So, it makes me wonder...

Why would you make such a lengthy post trying convince people of something that you don't even believe? Have you made a deal with the devil? If yes, what did he look like to you?... I've been wondering about his ability to shape-shift.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
So long as you're INTERPRETING, you're not automatically dealing with TRUTH. Should have labeled this an alternative view of the Garden of Eden story, leaving less room for people to assume that you look at things from a skewed viewpoint.

It's the truth about the story, not necessarily the truth about what happened. I'm not saying the narrative is true, just that if it were true, then the Serpent is definitely the protagonist in it.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

I don't think that you even believe this.

So, it makes me wonder...

Why would you make such a lengthy post trying convince people of something that you don't even believe?

Please tell me in what way you are qualified to determine what I do or don't believe?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
This thread is work of DEVIL
XD

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I don't know if anyone can be qualified, but I think your post is border-line intelligent and yet filled with obvious fallacies that were methodically placed to substantiate your hypothesis.

Now you answer my questions. Okay?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Dude,dont allow the to drag you in discussion off the isdue.
I agree with author of this thread.
So called God have good marketing.
So called god aka devil have thread like this.

...in some moments i use my brain too.
Ive read bible, rene decartes, dune, astronomy, old religions, shows, documentary, writings in concrete after it become solid, this and that, and all kind of crap, in search for pieces of puzzle called, truth.

Fact is author is right.
It is, sorry,
Author is not interpreting
The fact is in bible, written.
Pieces of truth is there, and this thread is one good piece for open minded people

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, only Eve ate the fruit.
It wasn't called the tree of knowledge in the Bible taught to me either.
It was just a tree of forbidden fruit. Eve was tempted and took one bite.
The serpent lies by the way.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Probably all I should say, is good luck brothers and sisters and make sure you make your own decisions, know where those decisions come from, and you are perfect just the way you are and loved for it.

You can learn all that you need to know about religion, in any language, from YOUR OWN FAMILY.

We all have equal access to that information.

Thanks for the thread op, interesting angle.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

In reply to your original question, no I have not "sold my soul to the devil"... as far as I know that's just something angry teenagers and metal-heads try to do because they have daddy issues, but it's not really something I believe in.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

I have read the op and it does match up with what genesis says – so can you tell me what obvious fallacies you are referring to

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Consider rendering this story in the sense of our own history. The fruit of knowledge is technology. The beast is mankind. Carbon has 6 protons, 6 electrons and 6 neutrons. It is the foundation of our technology and the mark of mankind. All life is derived from Carbon. It was God's technology for the bio-mechanical mechanisms in the garden. All the technology we received, including our bodies, was in a perfected state. When God said that we would die, have we accomplished this with out technology polluting the earth? Did Satan tell the truth? No. He was after us as a proxy to get back at God in the process. His goal is to be like God through us. The liar is easy to spot when you know the truth behind the story.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join