It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Springfield Monorail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Having been politely asked not to participate in the debate thread on ATSNN, I have decided to post my thoughts here.

Clearly, as far as delivery goes, John Kerry won this debate. He was much more polished and articulate. Why this would surprise anyone is beyond me. President Bush has always had trouble expressing himself and tonight was no different.

But substance. Substance is an entirely different matter.

Watching Mr. Kerry today I was strongly reminded of an old Simpsons episode in which a slick talker comes to town and sells the poor citizens a monorail. He even sings a song!

That is Mr. Kerry in a nutshell.

If I may sing a little myself (and those of you that remember the tune, feel free to sing along):

"The war in Iraq not going your way?;
France and Germany will save the day!;
Monorail!, Monorail!;

Korean nukes got you down?;
We don't need China to win this round!;
Monorail!, Monorail!;

How to vote still have you puzzled?;
My poll based stance will have you dazzled!;
Monorail!, Monorail!;

All my promises, how we gonna pay?;
Why, we'll save that for another day!;

So when you enter that voting booth;
Remember my flash and forget the truth!
Monorail! Monorail! Monnnoooorrrailll!!!!!"

All he needed was a straw hat and a cane.

Please tell me John, what if France and Germany don't want to play?
And what is it you want to give them to gain ther cooperation?

And what are you personally going to say to North Korea that will change their mind, that the pressure of six nations, including China, can't do better?

And those 40,000 new troops, they will come from where?

You say we are not doing enough to catch Bin Laden, but seem a little sketchy on what you will do differently. What was that again?

etc. etc. etc.

But none of that matters to the average voter, who only cares that "ol Bush, he don't speak too good, but that Kerry talks alot better".

Unfortunatly talk is all he has.

(EDIT - To give props to Phil Hartman. We miss you man! RIP)

[edit on 10/1/04 by Seth Bullock]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I haven't seen it yet, I'll check the debate out when I get home but I think I would prefer unproven words to outright lies.

BTW, I think this was an excellent post. Well done.

[edit on 1-10-2004 by intrepid]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Seth,

You recall one of my favorite Simpsons episodes: Esp" Donuts is there anything you can't do????"

But back to the debates. I will post my take in the the formal section once I get the chance to review the points again.

Yes John kerry was polished and articulate (in otherwords slick) and debates are not Bush's strong suit. That being said, Bush came across as a regular guy while Kerry came accors as he is an Aristrocrat who views the common folk as a necessary evil. On sheer debating skill Kerry would win, but this is not a University logic class and it remains to be seen how well the debates will play in the background states.

Since you pointed it out, I do see a strong semblance to Diamond Joe Quimby in John Kerry. Did you also notice that THK did not shake the Bush twins hands? Interesting and does confirm some of my long held beliefs about her.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
OK Seth, I don't agree with your post but, I like the way it was presented. Yes, I know that was the point you were trying to make about Kerry's performance tonight.
Oh the irony.

Still, great post.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Did you also notice that THK did not shake the Bush twins hands? Interesting and does confirm some of my long held beliefs about her.

Watched the debate thought it was a load of mince no substance at all, should really have an open one not the lab controlled system. Hope they debate home policies and issues in future that is what a president should be elected on not foreign policy. If its not personal explain the statement above as it interested me.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod. If its not personal explain the statement above as it interested me.

No its not a personal issue. Something about her has rubbed me the wrong way from the start. WHile I am a clear Bush supporter, this is not a partisan thing 9some will beg to differ) at all.

From the speech she gave at the DNC, the "Im rich love me" speech
TO the speches she has given to rally the move-on people
To her public comments

SHe strikes me as a classless spoiled rich person who believes in her core that she is fundamentaly better than the rest of us. She lacks any grace or style, and comes off that way to me. Hillary Clinton is ruthless and mean spirited too, but she carries herself with grace and poise. Some of my dislike of THK is viceral, the other is simply her attitude, her persona etc. If elected, she will no doubt be one of the most classless first ladies In recent memory. I hope that this does not come to pass.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the levity tonight Seth, it was needed. I wasn't wowed tonight and your monorail analogy says it all.

You and Fred ever consider voting for Badnarik - I know you're both California Republicans (pro-choice, for gay marriage, etc.)?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
My thoughts are that You should vote for a family man [sorry person] for president as they have something to lose. Anyway aren't all the candidates super rich?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
Thanks for the levity tonight Seth, it was needed. I wasn't wowed tonight and your monorail analogy says it all.

You and Fred ever consider voting for Badnarik - I know you're both California Republicans (pro-choice, for gay marriage, etc.)?

I have considered it actually. However, for the next 4 years I feel strongly that Bush is the best choice. But Bleys, I have never heasated to cross party lines If I liked a candidate. I campaigned and voted for Perot and would have gone to the wall if McCain had run as an independant too.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
No, I won't be bad.
That's a cute analyses Seth.

I'm very pleased to see people acknowledging the Kerry win even if they don't like it or agree.

Greetings FredT.
Intrepid (watch that debate buddy). Hi NotTooHappy, Munro_DreadGod. Bleys, you keep working those wavering social Republicans Badnariks way.
Lot's of lost kittens after tonight.

Ok, I'll stop. Hi to anyone else that posted I missed.

If anyone wants to drop in on a real wake, it's entertaining tonight.

'Let the debate word not be spoken.'

Here's the best explanation they've come up with so far: Liberal Media Wins Post Debate Debate
Sorry.

Not Kerry won. Not Bush lost. Though some adamantly declare a DRAW...

It's the liberal media Stupid.
Oh my. :shk:

Cheney's forthcoming wedgie on Tuesday. Then it's ON TO THE DOMESTIC FRONT. You know, those pesky choice and gay marriage issues. No moderate Republican speakers to save Bush/Cheney now.

:insertbeamingemoticonofvictoryhere:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Geez Rant, a little excited are ya? Nice ramble you posted there.

But I sure didn't see you answering any of the questions I rasied though.

Hmmm. Maybe appearance is the only important thing to ATS democrats.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I may have an interesting perspective on the whole BS dog and pony show...

I didn't watch the debate. I was in the same room with my wife who was watching the debate, so sadly I was exposed to the drivel.

Based simply on the sounds of these two. The inflections of their voices, it sounded to me like Kerry was more confident in his responses. Bush sounded like he was having trouble collecting his thoughts, and that he was being defensive for most of the night.

Given the fact that I wasn't paying attention, I have no knowledge of the "quality" of their individual responses. But based on the confidence in Kerry's voice, I can see how someone could say that he won the debate. Given the fact that the wordds were coming out of Kerry's mouth... I would have a hard time believing any of them.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Seth, nobody asked you not to participate.

You in fact were asked to participate: Nerdling was looking for volunteers.

You just missed the window, that's all...

Felt I needed to clarify.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Hey Loki, I said politely didn't I? Oh and by the way, your post in that thread? The one that said:

Originally posted by Loki
Don't whine now, Seth. You had the chance, and this is a formal debate, with no opportunites for us to slam you. It was simply a matter of not finding another Conservative. They're not necessarily uncommon, (god knows why), but none expressed the interest. I only see the liberal advantage on this board as 65-35, so, it's not like you're not out there.

I love how you say "no opportunites for us to slam you" and follow that with "They're not necessarily uncommon, (god knows why)". Guess you found an opportunity to slam me after all!

[edit on 10/1/04 by Seth Bullock]

new topics

top topics

join