It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Congressmen Seek To Lift Propaganda Ban

page: 4
73
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
propaganda makes life easier for ordinary people, not necessary to think, repeat everything that talking head says on TV.




posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder
 

First cup of coffee, first read of your post one big question in the wording:


ban on domestic dissemination” of propaganda material produced by the State Department and the Pentagon


Well, so they are acknowledging they produce propaganda material? Now they are asking for a ban against spreading it to be lifted?

MSM lies all over the place, if there was a ban against spreading propaganda it sure wasn't being enforced.

I'm sure there is more here than meets the lie (Freudian slip that fits), but this sounds like a lame joke. The media is not credible now. You know when even your priest tells the congregation not to watch MSM because it is evil you have to wonder what level of criminality they are hoping to achieve.

I must be sleep walking and having a nightmare.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Congressmen Seek To Lift Propaganda Ban


www.buzzfeed.com

An amendment that would legalize the use of propaganda on American audiences is being inserted into the latest defense authorization bill, BuzzFeed has learned.

The amendment would “strike the current ban on domestic dissemination” of propaganda material produced by the State Department and the Pentagon, according to the summary of the law at the House Rules Committee's official website.

(visit the link for the full news article)



Whether or not one believes in various conspiracies about the government/world players secretly trying to take control of our lives and liberties, it's becoming quite evident...whether a conspiracy or not, that nail by nail, bolt by bolt, piece by piece, there is construction of a system that will indeed destroy the validity and need for a constitution.

Some will argue with topics such as propaganda or wiretapping that the government has always done this....though never easily provable in most cases and a "necessary evil", these legislations creeping in in the aftermath of 911 appear to be a blatant permission of has been done illegally by the government to openly destroy our privacy and make us misinformed. And the big problem is not only the media ignoring much of this but many are so saturated in fear of terrorism that they accept this stuff believing this helps to keep us safer.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Next thing we know we're gonna have telescreens wheeled into our houses.

Ugh.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by empireoflizards

Originally posted by silent thunder

Congressmen Seek To Lift Propaganda Ban


www.buzzfeed.com

An amendment that would legalize the use of propaganda on American audiences is being inserted into the latest defense authorization bill, BuzzFeed has learned.

The amendment would “strike the current ban on domestic dissemination” of propaganda material produced by the State Department and the Pentagon, according to the summary of the law at the House Rules Committee's official website.

(visit the link for the full news article)



Whether or not one believes in various conspiracies about the government/world players secretly trying to take control of our lives and liberties, it's becoming quite evident...whether a conspiracy or not, that nail by nail, bolt by bolt, piece by piece, there is construction of a system that will indeed destroy the validity and need for a constitution.

Some will argue with topics such as propaganda or wiretapping that the government has always done this....though never easily provable in most cases and a "necessary evil", these legislations creeping in in the aftermath of 911 appear to be a blatant permission of has been done illegally by the government to openly destroy our privacy and make us misinformed. And the big problem is not only the media ignoring much of this but many are so saturated in fear of terrorism that they accept this stuff believing this helps to keep us safer.


while I agree with everything you said. "The biggest problem" is that we have many 'biggest problems'

We are our own biggest problem, because most of us are not active - which is exactly how the government has taken advantage of us, they act while we sit around waiting for their actions to directly affect us. We can 'easily' fix ourselves and the government intrusion, but I think we have to do it simultaneously so that it creates such a large problem that 1. they don't have the resources to deal with it as a whole and 2. it can't be ignored. Let's face it, most people are followers but there is a solution for that as well.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by robhines
 


That's the thing.. most people won't even know it's legal. So when the entirely false news reports are playing on the news stations (rather than just the manipulated, plausible deniablity b.s. stories on the news now) people will buy it and never know it's not only false propaganda, but it's legal.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Whats interesting about this is not just the surface "omg fascism" response. I read the article and did a bit of thinking on this. Now, I am not justifying the idea at all...but lets say for a moment the concept is of design as stated..to combat other nations propaganda targeting western nations (and specifically America).

What this means is that the west, in all our "freedom loving" ways, has opened the door, but other nations, whom have budgets to specifically target america with their propaganda have free reign while we can do nothing about that.

So, we have then a choice..do we keep as is, and allow other nations to endlessly and officially sew discord in the nation, causing disfunctional elements to fester, or do we remove the leash and let a information war begin...

What they seem to be saying is, war is here...its going on, and we aren't even holding a shield up to the onslaught of other -governments- hitting us over and over because of a rule we made, thinking that everyone would get along.


in all honesty, I went from read title and reject angrily, to now having two minds about it. I also think anyone whom dismisses this is not putting enough thought into the current dynamics.
I do also however see the potential (and likelyhood) of abuse...hense the two minds



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This makes me physically sick..
I will take every single "fact" I hear as a falsity from now on, until it can be proven otherwise.

This is bad... really bad.
Our 18 and younger generation are already f***ed, this will only make things worse...

I am 22.... my generation is supposed to redeem the masses....
Little off topic.. if anyone reads their natal charts...


Uranus is in 08 Degrees Capricorn. You, and your peer group as well, seek out practical solutions to a changing society's attitudes to customs, traditions and authority structures. Your logical and orderly manner of dealing with these matters will result in permanent and carefully planned, but sweeping, reforms.

Neptune is in 13 Degrees Capricorn. You, and your entire generation, will idealize work, practicality and the ability to attain reasonable goals. But, because you will also stress the need to be selfless and giving, you may find it difficult to attain your goals unless you have lowered your expectations on all fronts.

Pluto is in 15 Degrees Scorpio. For your entire generation, this is a period of intense research and discovery in areas that were heretofore considered mysterious, remote or taboo. The root causes for many complex occurrences will be unearthed due to the intensity and thoroughness of the search.


They know this.
They know the energies that we have been born under.
And are using unnatural means to suppress our natural instincts.

Thank the heavens for all of you...

We will ring loud until our silence deafens ears.

(my 63rd post btw, my number, how fitting ^_^ )
edit on 21-5-2012 by PrincessofSwords because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Something just plain stinks about sanctioning government lying. I would like to know who the supporters in Congress are that are supporting this neutralization of the Smith-Mundt Act and who was the person that initially said: "Hey! We need to take a look at making lying legal....Thornberry! Smith! Get on it right away!"

Some religions (Islam, for one) actually have a doctrine that supports lying if it is to "smooth over differences". Yep, that's right.....look up taqiyya and kitman.

edit on 21-5-2012 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2012 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Whats interesting about this is not just the surface "omg fascism" response. I read the article and did a bit of thinking on this. Now, I am not justifying the idea at all...but lets say for a moment the concept is of design as stated..to combat other nations propaganda targeting western nations (and specifically America).

What this means is that the west, in all our "freedom loving" ways, has opened the door, but other nations, whom have budgets to specifically target america with their propaganda have free reign while we can do nothing about that.

So, we have then a choice..do we keep as is, and allow other nations to endlessly and officially sew discord in the nation, causing disfunctional elements to fester, or do we remove the leash and let a information war begin...

What they seem to be saying is, war is here...its going on, and we aren't even holding a shield up to the onslaught of other -governments- hitting us over and over because of a rule we made, thinking that everyone would get along.


in all honesty, I went from read title and reject angrily, to now having two minds about it. I also think anyone whom dismisses this is not putting enough thought into the current dynamics.
I do also however see the potential (and likelyhood) of abuse...hense the two minds


I dont think they really care about us as citizens to have that mindset and the media rarely provides accurate information regarding the events of other countries anyway... meaning we are already fed propaganda. They just want, on the books, that they have the go ahead to further spread lies/brainwash/indoctrinate. IMO



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder
 


Bernays lays down the groundwork in Propaganda (1928). This book is A MUST READ!!! It is a short book, but not an easy read so to speak, could easily fit into a weekend, roughly 165 pages or so. In short it is an important piece of the puzzle we all need.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by empireoflizards
 


No one is really afraid of terrorism I don't think. No one that I know. I think most people are becoming more afraid of the governments over reaction to "the fear of terrorism." I mean If I was in Chicago I would probably think twice about joining the protest and I would definitely be afraid to talk about stuff like molotov cocktails.. and I don't mean talk about using them or making them, I mean mention them. If a cop overheard you discussing them, or their origin ("a drink to go with the food!") they would seriously take you in and charge you with something.

You now could be arrested for terrorism for having a conversation about terrorism if you have it at the wrong place and time. Places like protests.. where those kinds of conversations naturally spring up.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
reply to post by TKDRL
 


The problem with it, in my opinion, is that it legalizes government-sanctioned lying. Yeah, they've always lied. Now they can do it freely, openly, and proudly. Moreover, they can earmark huge budgets to bring to bear on the issue of how to influence public opinion.

It's basically a declaration of open psychological warfare on the populace.
I agree with you 100%
I also see future arguements and defense as follows.........When a watchdog group points out an out & out lie told by anyone involved in politics or goverment the excuses the liars will cite this propaganda law as reason and then hide behind patriotism, American "honor" and "for the good of the people" as their motive.
Those of us that have learned to not trust anything put out by MSM, political ads, election promises, presidential press releases will now have to accept that everything we hear or see is a lie or distortion AND now it's legal and sanctified.

To the masses who presently go about their "day to day" oblivious to the present lies, the new "legal" ones will go unnoticed

One step closer to "1984"



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Apparently, we are entering a new phase of the elite's operation. Between this and the 20,000 drones being released on American soil, and the ability to detain U.S. citizens, they seem to be preparing for something. I can't believe how outrageous some of the things the government is doing are - it is like they are openly working against the people nowadays.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Link to proposed ammendment at govtrack

H.R. 5736: To amend the United States Information and Educational Exchange Act of 1948

www.govtrack.us...



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
One little nudge at a time! Scary.

Oh yeah....look that one up, too. It's called "Nudge Theory" and it's straight out of Chicago-based academia. Embraced by not only the prez, but also by Cass Sustein.

How many little "nudges" have we made in the last few years toward a soon-to-be unrecognizable America?



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by six67seven
I dont think they really care about us as citizens to have that mindset and the media rarely provides accurate information regarding the events of other countries anyway... meaning we are already fed propaganda. They just want, on the books, that they have the go ahead to further spread lies/brainwash/indoctrinate. IMO


Right
Now, consider other nations whom don't like the west for any number of reasons...consider how they have no such rules.
Do you immediately buy every story of how america is the devil because of this, that, and the other?

Propaganda incidently, isn't a lie..it is rather, a method of showing a truth in a different light in order to have people see things as you want them to. Consider a sportscar that has equal preformance as a non-sports car for half the price. People purchase the sportscar due to corporate propaganda..they don't say it will fly or anything, but instead cast soo many different lights verses just say what it does that you desire that and will pay extra because they programmed into you how you should totally love the design. You can't even really put a finger on exactly why you love the design..you just do...because you have fallen to propaganda for that car.

most nations (especially "enemy" nations) are officially and actively hammering away at us...have been for years. We have our own propaganda machine mind you...this bill is just requesting the leash comes off and they play on the same level.

I don't like propaganda...seriously...it corrupts knowledge. But what is worse than combative propaganda both pulling for a point is only one side doing it...
Lots of people say how america is in a downward spiral, that we suck, etc etc etc...its interesting to note that when these laws were originally put in place, that is arguably the timeframe when america started becoming less and less that shining city on a hill and more the jerks whom blow up everyones stuff...perhaps they are related, perhaps not...

The information is corrupted already is my point...so its not like this is going to recorrupt it, or make it even more corrupt...

I am still in two minds about this. its not an easy thing to process if you put much thought into it (by default, I should hate this btw...gut reaction says hate this...ideals scream against this...realism makes me consider it. The internet is a game changer)

My biggest concern is how it will eventually become corrupt from (maybe..arguably) a nationalistic noble cause into a corrupt brain control...will it be years or months before that transition happens.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Why are so many of these changes to old Acts now inserting the words "or domestic" into them? Makes you wonder.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder
 


a little late dont ya think?



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
I can see an official government tv channel in the future. That or networks will have to give equal air time during the national news for the "Official News" It's just all coming together, isn't it? The next 4 years will see Orwell's 1984 in full swing.


I kinda said something like that last night, but my post was a bit more explicit...So I changed it. This appears to be another thread though. Wonder what happened to the other one.
I googled this article looking for info on the sponsors of the bill, and the article ran in all the usual left wing sites like Huffpo and DailyKos. Perhaps the article itself is part of the propaganda spin. I could not find any right wing spin on this at all....so I am inclined to think that there is a Soros component here.
edit on 21-5-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
73
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join