It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager tells parents he is an atheist Big mistake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This Comes courtesy if r/atheism Apparently This kid told his parents that he did not believe in god big mistake

Well guys, it looks like this is it. I won't be coming back. Goodbye.don't have time to make an articulate post. A few of you may remember me. I posted the above thread a while back, asking if I should come out as an atheist. Many of you said I should not, many of you said I should ended up telling my parents I don't believe in God. Horrible mistake. They flipped out. My dad found a video up on my PC of "The Atheist Experience" with Matt Dillahunty. He proceeded to flip the # out, and his jimmies were rustled straight to hell. He took my entire desktop computer. I proceeded to remind him that as an aspiring programmer/computer security official(taking after him), a lack of a computer would screw me over. He then called me a retard, and told me he'd rather have me be a janitor and be saved, than be a successful atheist. They also threatened not to pay for my college, and numerous other things. Also, I burnt my hand badly today, 2nd degree. My parents didn't seem to care much, it's an atheist hand after all. I had to treat it myself. It burns like crazy as I'm typing this. Right now I'm hiding, locked in the bathroom, and typing this out on my phone, which will be taken away right after I get out. I don't think atheist havens is really relevant for me either, since I won't be able to access the internet. The worst part about all this is how hard I tried. I really tried to believe it. I just can't, it's too stupid.Here is the main purpose of this message to you all today: To anyone thinking about telling their parents about their atheism, don't. I don't give a # how understanding you think your parents are. I thought the exact same thing about mine. Don't do it, and if you do, you better be ready for the absolute worst case scenario. If you are not, keep it to yourself, and deal with it. They will not understand.

I have a feeling my life is ruined now, and its all because of religion. Goodbye guys. Thanks for teaching me to think freely.

Man i cant help but fell bad for the poor kid not that his computer was taken away but for the fact that his parents Just went and abandoned him

But ether way best of luck to you kid it appears you have reddits support hears hoping you get our support to

Reddit

edit on 20-5-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-5-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
He doesn't have my support.
Sounds like the kid needs to spend less time on the computer anyway.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Oh darn. the kid got grounded from the internet. So very sad... Every athiest should keep it in the closet because their parents might be offended and be upset. Trust me they will get over it after they get off the shock part of it and start blaming themselves

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Reminds me of this video here:www.youtube.com...

Crazy story and good post.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Thats a shame, I thought in america we had freedom of what we want to belive/not belive in.That poor boy parents are trying to govren what he should belive in. If he dosent want to belive in God thats his choice. I feel bad for him. Also what happen to freedom of speech, if you can't tell your parents something with out them starting up why speak at all. He should of stayed quite is what i think would of been best.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
At the risk of sounding insensitive, all his parents have done so far is take away his computer and threaten not to pay for his college; that's harsh but hardly earth-shattering.

Also, my experience with r/Atheism is that it tends to be a den of people who very fervent about their lack of belief in God. r/Atheism tends to show heavy elements of anti-Theism in its ranks from my experience. It's very possible that the kid told his parents he's an Atheist in a rather disrespectful, condescending way, and that's what they're reacting to.

The kid's parents are douchebags in my opinion, though.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

he'd rather have me be a janitor and be saved, than be a successful atheist.

So wait. I don't get this part. "Successful atheist"? What's that?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

He then called me a retard, and told me he'd rather have me be a janitor and be saved, than be a successful atheist. They also threatened not to pay for my college, and numerous other things. Also, I burnt my hand badly today, 2nd degree. My parents didn't seem to care much, it's an atheist hand after all.

If this is true. His parents are probably more responsible for his atheism, than anything he could have read on the internet.

Good show mom and dad. Alienate him, and push him even further away than you already have.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iceglazedchickenwings
Reminds me of this video here:www.youtube.com...

Crazy story and good post.

I knew a few Mothers like this. I can respect one's beliefs, but I cannot and will not ever respect indoctrination of children. It seems to go against the apparent values of most Christians to act so rude, curse out their children or deny others of things they own just because one cannot gratify another person thinking differently than themselves.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
He sounds pretty literate to me. After he's 18 his parents won't have a say. Until then, the fact is, they do. I made the mistake of proclaiming my atheism when I was in the Navy. It's been awhile and they've loosened up, but back then it was a serious thing. One time I was diagnosed with pneumonia and sent to the hospital. The guy admitting me asked whether I was protestant or catholic. I said "No preference," and he flipped out. There are few people I would like to find today and punch out, but he's one of them.

It's the same with a lot of things. For example, I am a conservative. I get along okay on ATS and people usually don't dump on me. On the other hand, I don't scream on and on about it either. But people in my profession of librarianship are about 99% extremely liberal. When I was working I really could not express conservative beliefs. During conferences the three of us conservatives would lurk in a corner and talk because the overall view was extremely leftist and liberal on every topic imaginable.

During the last campaign, 2008, I set up a pro-McCain blog (not my favorite guy overall, but I certainly wasn't going to support Marxist Obama.) One of the more sociaist people at work found it and had a fit. Although I was retired, it still caused problems for my wife, who was and is still working. It was so bad that my wife asked me to stop the blog as long as she was still working. So I erased the blog.

I'm telling you this story because I would guess most people on ATS tend liberal. If you find yourself in a position of dissing anyone conservative, then perhaps that can help you gain some perspective when the shoe is on the other foot. This poor guy is an atheist suffering under what appear to be extremely religious parents. Conservatives suffer the same way in extremely liberal environments.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

He then called me a retard, and told me he'd rather have me be a janitor and be saved, than be a successful atheist. They also threatened not to pay for my college, and numerous other things. Also, I burnt my hand badly today, 2nd degree. My parents didn't seem to care much, it's an atheist hand after all.

If this is true. His parents are probably more responsible for his atheism, than anything he could have read on the internet.

Good show mom and dad. Alienate him, and push him even further away than you already have.

Instead of talking things out with him they just push him away, and act like he dosen't have a chocie in life to do as he please. Forshame Mom and Dad. If you look at this story you notice that his parents are the cause of this. Who to say they even shown interst into what their son likes and dislikes. Maybe if they had talk ahead of time found out what he was into this would had been so bad. But their mistake for not taking time out for him, now all they do is push him away and treat him like dirt... But the kid should of told them in the first place what his beliefs were, be that it was atheism. But hey it happens....

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
They sound like good christians to me...you know- not judging lest they be judged etc.

Poor kid; but as someone else said- he probably went about it in the wrong way. I don't honestly see why he felt he had to tell them any how. It's only his business.

Then again, 18 year olds think they have to tell the whole world every thing.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
why is atheism such a big deal? he and his parents must live extremely boring lives to consider this a monumental event. its almost like he confessed to murder the way his parents reacted.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
You're an atheist and you couldn't lie about it? Not a very good atheist.
edit on 21-5-2012 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
The kid's parents are douchebags in my opinion, though.
epic quote of the week.
yeah?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
why is atheism such a big deal? he and his parents must live extremely boring lives to consider this a monumental event. its almost like he confessed to murder the way his parents reacted.

what!? you murdered that hooker!? dammit son this is the last straw... NO MORE INTERNET FOR YOU!!
i had to lol...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
yet another stinging example of fervent religious intolerance!
score: +1 for the bad guys...
yaaaay...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

he'd rather have me be a janitor and be saved, than be a successful atheist.

So wait. I don't get this part. "Successful atheist"? What's that?

Someone who dies and gets eaten by worms.... WIN!

If they end up in heaven or hell, well... EPIC FAIL!

Mind you, they lose the game as soon as they go "What?" in response to you asking them what they believe in.

so... meh

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

His parents religiosity drove the kid to Atheism. Religious folks tend to do that. Christianity isn't about religion, in fact, Christ was probably the most anti-religious person who ever walked the Earth. People who follow religion have no functioning grasp of the grace of God. None whatsoever.

new topics

top topics

join